ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW to Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kam007
Newly Registered

PSW to Spouse visa

Post by kam007 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello everyone,
I found some good to the point answers on this board so that is why I am asking a question. So, first of all, Well done guys for all your work!!!
Right - I am on Post-study work visa just now and it expires in Mar, 2011.
I am getting married to a British Citizen in June this year. She's 20 just now but she'll be 21 in July. 1 month after our marriage.
We're getting married in Pakistan. Then when we come back after a couple of weeks, we have a reception over here (to invite friends and family who couldn't attend in Pak) but the Nikkah will be done in Pak. I want to apply for spouse visa after we come back as I'll have more than six months left on my visa (I guess there's an issue about that as well like you shouls have six months left on your visa?) What steps do I need to take before goin to Pak?
My concerns are:
Do I need to apply for a certificate of approval before getting married (even if it's in PAK)? or the Nikkah-nama(marriage certificate issued in Pakistan) is all I need as we're getting married in Pak?
But getting a certificate of approval and registring marriage over here as well, will it help?
What documents do I need to provide?
I know she'll be my sponsor but if I want to present my bank statements and payslips, is this acceptable as her balance went very low recently and she won't be able to save much even though she's in full-time employment earning over 20k but I am working in a supermarket but I have managed to keep my balance over £1000 but I don't know for how long can I do that especially after marriage.
Is there a certain amount of funds I/she need(s) to have in the bank account? (THIS IS ONE OF MAJOR CONCERNS FOR ME AS WE'LL have to spend money and I don't know how much minimum do I need to keep?)
We will be renting a house. Our rent and monthly expenses will probably be more than my pay. I don't know if me and her both can show financial documentation?
I know lots of questions but I am a bit confused as I thought it'll be quite straight-forward but obviously it's not.
Hoping to get responses soon.
Thanks a bundle in advance!!!
Last edited by kam007 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:02 pm

I presume you are at least 21 years of age? I am not going to assume.

CoA for an outside-the-UK marriage? No not needed. Get legally married in the UK after getting legally married outside the UK? That is not possible. Quite simply neither of you would be able to certify that you are free to marry, because you will already be married. And committing perjury is not a good idea!

The Pakistan-issued marriage certificate, if that is not in English, do ensure that you obtain a certified translation into English.

How to obtain the spouse visa in the UK? Use form FLR(M). You will see from the form, downloadable from the UKBA website, what evidence needs to be supplied in support of the application.
John

kam007
Newly Registered

Post by kam007 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:14 pm

John wrote:I presume you are at least 21 years of age? I am not going to assume.

CoA for an outside-the-UK marriage? No not needed. Get legally married in the UK after getting legally married outside the UK? That is not possible. Quite simply neither of you would be able to certify that you are free to marry, because you will already be married. And committing perjury is not a good idea!

The Pakistan-issued marriage certificate, if that is not in English, do ensure that you obtain a certified translation into English.

How to obtain the spouse visa in the UK? Use form FLR(M). You will see from the form, downloadable from the UKBA website, what evidence needs to be supplied in support of the application.

Thanks for your reply John. Yes I am well over 21. I am 25.
But see, here it is on the UKBA website it says :
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... s/#header2

Please note that, in most circumstances, you cannot marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK unless:

â– you been given entry clearance expressly for the purpose of letting you marry or register a civil partnership in the UK; or
â– you have a certificate of approval to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:10 pm

The point you are making? You will not be getting married in the UK, will you.
John

kam007
Newly Registered

Post by kam007 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Oh yeah I know. But in the application form as well it says:

Did you get an entry clearance as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner before entering the UK?
If you have answered yes to question 6.1 go to section 7. If you have answered no to question 6.1 you must answer all the questions
in this section.

Were you granted a Certificate of Approval for marriage or civil partnership?
Please state the date and place of your wedding or civil partnership ceremony.

But I am more concerned about the finances. Do you have any idea how much minimum will I need to have in my account? or does she need to provide her bank statement?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:23 am

Were you granted a Certificate of Approval for marriage or civil partnership?
An easy question. Clearly the answer for you is no.

Finances? There are many posts on this board. In order to assist you about how to make the application on form FLR(M) for a spouse visa, I am moving this topic to a different area of this board. Have a good perusal of posts in this section. Based upon what you have already posted, I don't envisage a problem passing the financial test.
John

kam007
Newly Registered

Post by kam007 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks John. I will do.