ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earnings proof - desparate - please help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mouche202
Newly Registered

Earnings proof - desparate - please help

Post by mouche202 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi all,

I have been posting a number of questions recently due to the likelihood of my husband losing his Tier 2 job and therefore my need to get Tier 1.

Last time I checked I was eligible for Tier 1 but this morning I find I am 5 points short. On investigation it seems either therule has changed or I have made a mistake. The earning points for someone earning between £35000 to £39999 and applying from outside UK is now 20. Someone with the same income but applying from within UK gets 40 points. Since I am on Tier 2 dependant, I have to leave UK to apply - this means I get 20 points for earnings which leaves me 5 points short.

I need advice on how I can show my income to be £40,000 or more. My salary slips show my earnings from April 2009 to March 2010 as £38,777. My salary has recently been increased to £40,324 but this I cannot show in my past 12 months income. So I need to somehow show £1300 extra income by end of April.

This is what I have thought of as options but not sure how feasible they are. Would be very grateful for other ideas and guidance on the questions I have raised:

1) Get a part time job and show income from it.
PROBLEM: Getting a part time job that will pay £1300 for 2 weeks work is next to impossible. Even if my husband can stratch his employment till end of May, it is still a big task to get such a job - but any ideas on achieving it is welcome. I am willing to work as hard as necessary.

2) I am registered as self employed in UK because I work on freelance basis for a research comapny. I have a contract with them but they do not issue payslips and I do not raise invoices. I just answer questions when I have time on their system, they track it and pay me the amount. In past 12 months I have hardly done any work for them but I can increasethe amount I do. Achieving £1300 from them is next to impossible but even if I can do it - how do I show this income for Tier 1? In the guidance notes it says:

Documentary evidence for self-employed

a letter from your managing agent or accountant (confirming you received the exact amount you are claiming or the net profit for which you are entitled). This should be on headed paper confirming the gross and net pay for the period claimed. It should give a breakdown of salary, dividends, profits, tax credits and dates of net payments earned. It should also explain if your earnings are a share of the net profits of the company and the proportion of net profits to which you are entitled for the earnings period claimed.
invoice explanations or payment summaries from your managing agent or accountant – these should include a breakdown of the gross salary, tax deductions and dividend payments received. The total gross salary and dividend payments should be the same as your earnings.
company or business accounts that clearly show the net profit of the company or business – the accounts must show both a profit and loss account (or income and expenditure account if the organisation is not trading for profit) and the balance sheet signed by a director. Accounts should meet statutory requirements and clearly show the net profit over the earnings period to be assessed.
official tax document produced by the tax authority – this is a document produced by a person, business or company as an official return to a tax authority showing details of earnings on which tax has been paid or will be paid in a tax year. The document must have been approved, registered or stamped by the tax authority.
Documentary evidence for contractors

If, as a contractor, you do not operate through your own company or consider yourself to be an employee, you should provide the following:

an accountant’s letter confirming a breakdown of your gross and net earnings for the period claimed and
personal bank statements highlighting all credit payments made to your account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.

First of all, am I self employed or a contractor in this context?
Secondly, to claim this income, I neither have an accountant nor invoices. I have paid tax on the small amount I earned last tax year but I filed the return online and do not have a copy. Is there anything I can do to claim this income?

3) Similar to above, I have a friend who is self employed and often gets work done from freelancers. They invoice him and he pays them. He is willing to let me do some work for him this month and pay me the required amount if I invoice him. He is also willing to give me a contract for regular work. In this case, am I self employed or a contractor. I will have an invoice and the money in my account by end of April. What can I do to include this income for Tier 1?

4) I can explain the situation to my employers and if they are willing, I can request them to pay me my May salary in advance. If they do this, it will probably show in my payslip as 'advance' - so the ECO will know it is not really a correct amount to show as salary for the month. So I guess I can't include payslip. If I include a letter from my company stating the amounts paid every month (including the inflated April salary) would that be okay? Or would ECO start asking questions, why the salary for one month is so high? This is of course assuming my employers are willing to do it - I would rather not ask them if it won't work anyway for my Tier 1.

5) What if I can get my employers to pay me this amount as 'bonus'. I can then pay them back by taking unpaid leave but continuing to work. Is this something that is feasible.

Am just brainstorming for ideas. Would be very gratfeul if seniors on this board can provide their feedback on these ideas or give me som other options.

Thanks you in advance.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:16 pm

5) What if I can get my employers to pay me this amount as 'bonus'. I can then pay them back by taking unpaid leave but continuing to work. Is this something that is feasible.
If you can convince your employer to pay you BONUS, then I am sure you can sail through with ease..

just make sure it is shown as in the pay slip..

wish you goodluck..

vks

Post by vks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Option 3 and 5 seems to make sense. But Option 5 seems to be the right one IMHO.

The amount should be shown in the payslip and tax and NI paid on the amount. The bank statement should have appropriate entry for the net pay!
Regards,
vks