ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Compulsory Military Service and Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

joh118

Compulsory Military Service and Citizenship

Post by joh118 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 am

Hi, I wonder if you guys can offer some words of advice for my friend.

My friend is from South Korea, and in S Korea, all males aged between 18 to 30 have to serve in the military for just over 2 years. My friend has ILR currently. It is banned to have dual citizenship in S Korea.

The rules are that if you obtain a citizenship of another country voluntarily, you automatically lose your Korean Citizenship and by default, you are no longer required to serve in the military.

However if he does military service with an ILR and serves for 2 years and a bit, he will lose his ILR but keep his Korean Citizenship.

He want to keep his Korean citizenship and at the same time have the ILR. But frankly it is not possible. i think

In the end I guess it comes down to either keeping his S korean citizenship or losing ILR.

I think I am right on this but if you guys have any sugeestions, please say!

here is the link: http://www.dynamic-korea.com/consulate_ ... ther.php#2

thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 am

ILR isn't citizenship tho.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Compulsory Military Service and Citizenship

Post by mochyn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:05 pm

joh118 wrote:Hi, I wonder if you guys can offer some words of advice for my friend.

My friend is from South Korea, and in S Korea, all males aged between 18 to 30 have to serve in the military for just over 2 years. My friend has ILR currently. It is banned to have dual citizenship in S Korea.

The rules are that if you obtain a citizenship of another country voluntarily, you automatically lose your Korean Citizenship and by default, you are no longer required to serve in the military.

However if he does military service with an ILR and serves for 2 years and a bit, he will lose his ILR but keep his Korean Citizenship.

He want to keep his Korean citizenship and at the same time have the ILR. But frankly it is not possible. i think

In the end I guess it comes down to either keeping his S korean citizenship or losing ILR.

thanks
I think you are right.
To stay in this country he must renounce his Korean nationality if he wants to gain British citizenship as there is no allowance for dual nationality.
Maybe the best way is to acquire British citizenship avoid national service in Korea by renouncing his Korean nationality and then sometime in the future if he so desires reapply for his Korean nationality

bani

Post by bani » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:50 pm

If he wants to do his military service and keep his Korean nationality, then he should do it and risk losing ILR. When he comes back after two years, as long as he can prove that he is coming back to settle in the UK or he has strong family ties here, there is a chance he can be granted a visa as a "returning resident".

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... residents/

Any chance he can come to the UK even for a short visit during his military service? Because that would make it easier for him to keep his ILR.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm

yes, I told him that today that he can try to get it back when he comes back but it's too much of a risk to take....

Thanks for all your advice. I it's a difficult dicision to make but I would just sacrifice his korean citizenship to skip service and get BC, but that's his choice i guess.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 pm

I was just thinking, is it possible to get a "right of abode" stamp in his korean passport??

this would mean he can keep his citizenship...what is the process? is there such a think as a "right of abode" stamp? I presume he would have to get BC to get it but how would it work?

thanks

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

Does he have a Korean ID card?

Not sure if South Korea has them but some countries do, China for example.The Chinese ID card shows ''right of abode''

bani

Post by bani » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 am

joh118 wrote:I was just thinking, is it possible to get a "right of abode" stamp in his korean passport??

this would mean he can keep his citizenship...what is the process? is there such a think as a "right of abode" stamp? I presume he would have to get BC to get it but how would it work?

thanks
"Right of Abode" is only for British citizens who are dual citizens and who do not apply for a British passport (they get the stamp instead if they wish).

Korean immigration would know immediately that he naturalised here if he has that stamp.

It really is a difficult decision and only he can decide. A friend of mine went back to South Korea to renew her passport before getting UK citizenship here. This way, she is keeping both nationalities for a few more years. Not sure she will have problems when she has to renew her passport again.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 am

bani wrote:
joh118 wrote:I was just thinking, is it possible to get a "right of abode" stamp in his korean passport??

thanks
"Right of Abode" is only for British citizens who are dual citizens and who do not apply for a British passport (they get the stamp instead if they wish).

Korean immigration would know immediately that he naturalised here if he has that stamp.

It really is a difficult decision and only he can decide. A friend of mine went back to South Korea to renew her passport before getting UK citizenship here. This way, she is keeping both nationalities for a few more years. Not sure she will have problems when she has to renew her passport again.
really? Well, technically, you lose your korean citizenship as soon as you aquire the UK one but that could be a way. How to countries that ban dual citizenships go about checking that the person doesn't have another citizenship?

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:46 am

Keep in mind that British citizens, even those with dual nationalities are suppose to leave and enter the UK on their British passport. I am assuming your friend would need to enter and leave South Korea on his South Korean passport. That would mean that he would need to have both passports on him when entering/leaving South Korea.

If he is searched at the South Korean airport, and they find British passport, they would know he has British nationality.

Ray

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 am

raymasa2 wrote:Keep in mind that British citizens, even those with dual nationalities are suppose to leave and enter the UK on their British passport.
Hi raymasa2, do you have a source for this please?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Ben wrote:
raymasa2 wrote:Keep in mind that British citizens, even those with dual nationalities are suppose to leave and enter the UK on their British passport.
Hi raymasa2, do you have a source for this please?
I was sure I read it on the UKBA ste, but cant seem to find it now. Will search more and if I find it, will post the link here.

Ray
Last edited by raymasa2 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bani

Post by bani » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 pm

joh118 wrote:
really? Well, technically, you lose your korean citizenship as soon as you aquire the UK one but that could be a way. How to countries that ban dual citizenships go about checking that the person doesn't have another citizenship?
They check when that person's passport is up for renewal. They ask him/her to submit a form from UKBA that confirms the person has not applied for UK Citizenship. It is not free (of course) and I don't know how long UKBA processing time is.

bani

Post by bani » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't think this is true. Otherwise, they would have mentioned it on this document.
http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/files/ips/liv ... UBLISH.pdf

I also have two passports make my choice based on the length of EU vs. non-EU queues. I'm also allowed to enter the Philippines (my other country) with my UK passport as a dual national.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:02 am

bani wrote:
I don't think this is true. Otherwise, they would have mentioned it on this document.
http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/files/ips/liv ... UBLISH.pdf

I also have two passports make my choice based on the length of EU vs. non-EU queues. I'm also allowed to enter the Philippines (my other country) with my UK passport as a dual national.
Bani,

You may be right. I think I confused this with the US requirements. Although, I still have this feeling that I read on UKBA site as well. But as I said, I may be mistaken.

Ray

newperson

Post by newperson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am

Take it for what it's worth (as it's a secondary source), but Wikipedia suggests the following:
South Korea has mandatory military service of 21 months (in army, reducing a day per two weeks). There are no alternatives for conscientious objectors except imprisonment. In general, with very few exceptions, most South Korean males serve in the military. The duration of service varies from branch to branch of the military, however by 2016, it will be reduced to 18 months.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_s ... outh_Korea

So even at its worse case, it's less than two years. And it will be only a year and a half commitment in six years, if your friend can delay enlisting until then.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Dont you think guys that discussions on this board sometimes become pointless? Someone asks a question about something and other starts giving advice about totally unconnected things. Many times advice comes from someone who doesnt even know what hes talking about. (Not at dig at anyone, just that I notice this all the times.)

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 pm

mochyn wrote:
joh118 wrote:Hi, I wonder if you guys can offer some words of advice for my friend.

thanks
I think you are right.
To stay in this country he must renounce his Korean nationality if he wants to gain British citizenship as there is no allowance for dual nationality.
Maybe the best way is to acquire British citizenship avoid national service in Korea by renouncing his Korean nationality and then sometime in the future if he so desires reapply for his Korean nationality
Who told you that he must renounce his Korean nationality if he wants to gain British Citizenship? Stop giving silly advice. If you have no idea what you are talking about then its better to just keep quiet.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm

mrlookforward wrote:
mochyn wrote:

thanks
I think you are right.
Who told you that he must renounce his Korean nationality if he wants to gain British Citizenship? Stop giving silly advice. If you have no idea what you are talking about then its better to just keep quiet.
Great advice from an overstayer who is/was working illegally and trying to deceive the HO to remain in this country through a fake relationship.
Using the old trick of losing his passport so cannot be deported and was/is reporting to the authorities on a weekly basis.
He knows everything about illegally being in this country

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#215932

joh118

Post by joh118 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 pm

thanks
I'm sorry I have to point out the obvious but I did say in my OP that it is banned to have dual citizenship in South Korea.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:23 pm

joh118 wrote:

thanks
I'm sorry I have to point out the obvious but I did say in my OP that it is banned to have dual citizenship in South Korea.
Some people on this forum, not naming any names, can't read or understand written english but resort to name calling

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 am

Thank you very much mr mochyn. FYI I have never deceived anyone or gave any false information to anyone. Never entered into fake relationship. I did make an application to HO for ILR on the facts. While I had my application was outstanding, I got a new passport from Indian High comission and sent it to HO. If they wanted, they could have easily removed me by refusing my application and they had my valid passport too.

But guess what? I was called for an interview by senior caseworker. Three weeks after that I got my passport in post and it was endorsed with Indefinite Leave to Remain.

I never mentioned having a gf in my application. I still have my gf and we are marrying soon, and now I dont even need COA.

Coming back to the point of dual nationality of OP, I still say that what you mentioned was wrong. Britain has no restriction on dual nationality. OP has korean nationality and korea doesnt allow dual citizenship. If OP remains outside UK for 2 years or more, then he will loose his ILR. But if the OP can somehow come back to UK for some length of time in those 2 years when he is doing his military service, then loosing ILR wont be a problem.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:19 am

I quote what you said mochyn

"To stay in this country he must renounce his Korean nationality if he wants to gain British citizenship as there is no allowance for dual nationality.
Maybe the best way is to acquire British citizenship avoid national service in Korea by renouncing his Korean nationality and then sometime in the future if he so desires reapply for his Korean nationality"

Now above advice is totally wrong. If you think you know anything better, then let us know. Thanks.