ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ozy123
Newly Registered

citizenship

Post by ozy123 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 am

Here's my story. My dad is originally pakistani, my brith mum indian. They moved to the States and had me in Utah. They then divorced a year later and my dad decided to emigrate to the UK but left me in Pakistan with my aunts for 3 years. At the age of 4 I joined my family in the UK with ILR. 22 years later I've decided to apply for a british Passport. I've just realised I have to pay 720.00 and take a life in the UK test... is this correct? Will it not be taken into consideration that literally my entire life has been lived here? Primary school, highschool, college, university, my whole working life? I can't help but be irked by this if this is the case. I feel slightly offended that my britishness is being tested. Its absurd.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 am

It clearly states that the test is a requirement of law and that long term residence does give you any exemption from taking the test.
Being British does not mean that you will pass the test, I only got 65% when I took it first time and I have lived here many more years than you have

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:14 am

But your not British (yet) so what's the problem? Fraid you paid the price for your procrastination, wasn't that long ago the whole process was free.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jayc
Newly Registered

Post by jayc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 am

Really, 65% for you?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:56 am

Having ILR for however long, doesn't make you British....as Wanderer has very wisely pointed out. At least you haven't had to pay the £1020 for your ILR. :wink:

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:45 pm

jayc wrote:Really, 65% for you?
Well the information requested by the test is not common knowledge and if you don't study the required book you will never pass

ozy123
Newly Registered

Post by ozy123 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 pm

No legislatively it does not make me british. Being here 20+ years - since the age of 4 through to adulthood via the entire British education system I would argue DOES make me British. And that should be taken into consideration.

Its the test that really infuriates and offends me. This is my home. I know I'm being emotional but I feel how I would if my mum asked me to take a test to judge my suitability of living in the family home after I'd spent virtually my entire life there. That's the problem.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 am

Well, you do have to take the test. Simple
Think of it as a driving license. You have a provisional Driving license for past 20 years. You can drive like a pro. You are the best driver in the whole of united kingdom. But when you need a full Driving license, you do need to pass the theory and practical driving tests.