ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit to Tier 2 General via Transitional Arrangements

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kart
Newly Registered

Work Permit to Tier 2 General via Transitional Arrangements

Post by kart » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi there,

For those of you who are looking for information on Transitional Arrangements, the below would be useful.

I came to the UK in 2006 and have been working here since then. My WP expired in March 10 and my Visa expires sometime in May 10. Hence, my employer applied for a CoS under transitional arrangements A in Feb 10 and got the CoS immediately.
I then applied for my visa in March (the only documentary evidence sent along with my passport was the CoS number). Received the biometrics letter within 2 weeks after applying, I then scheduled the Biometrics appointment within the next 4 days. I received the passport after 1 week post my biometrics appointment and the ICFN card the day after I received my passport.
It took exactly around 4 weeks to get my visa done.

Hope this helps :)

djzack

Re: Work Permit to Tier 2 General via Transitional Arrangeme

Post by djzack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:34 pm

kart wrote:Hi there,

For those of you who are looking for information on Transitional Arrangements, the below would be useful.

I came to the UK in 2006 and have been working here since then. My WP expired in March 10 and my Visa expires sometime in May 10. Hence, my employer applied for a CoS under transitional arrangements A in Feb 10 and got the CoS immediately.
I then applied for my visa in March (the only documentary evidence sent along with my passport was the CoS number). Received the biometrics letter within 2 weeks after applying, I then scheduled the Biometrics appointment within the next 4 days. I received the passport after 1 week post my biometrics appointment and the ICFN card the day after I received my passport.
It took exactly around 4 weeks to get my visa done.

Hope this helps :)
Congratulations, you're lucky. Knowing how to switch and getting to the final stage of receiving the visa can be quite a daunting task for some. Hence, these forums.

kart
Newly Registered

Post by kart » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks!
Though I'm quite relieved now that I've got my visa, I wasn't clear when it came to providing the documentary evidence. Thought this might help someone who is extending their visa using transitional arrangements.

vinu1310
Newly Registered

Post by vinu1310 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am

Hi,

Congratulations !!!!! I am in a similar situation where my visa (work permit) expires in the first week of September and my company is willing to extend my visa under Tier 2 rules. I have few questions and I will appreciate if you can help me with it

1) How sooner can I apply for the extension? My visa expires in 1st week of september, is it possible to apply now? The UKBA website does not have any guideline on this, they only say that the visa should be applied at least one month before your permission to stay runs out.

2) How is the process of applying CoS under Transitional Arragements? Is it a simple process? My company will be applying for a CoS for the first time and no one has any idea about it? I couldn't find much help on the UKBA site regarding CoS under transitional arrangements.

3) Thanks for the information regardin the documentary evidence. I was confused about what all documents will be required but I guess I don't need to send any with my application apart from the CoS number.

4) And last thing, you have mentioned that your wP expired in March 10 and your visa expires in May 10. I am a little confused with this since my WP was issued in August 2007 and it says the validity as 36 months from the date of leave to enter and my visa has a validity till 1st week of September. Am I right in assuming that it is the time in visa which is counted? Although the difference is only 3 weeks but still want to be sure about this.

Thanks and Regards,

kart
Newly Registered

Post by kart » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

vinu1310 wrote:Hi,

Congratulations !!!!! I am in a similar situation where my visa (work permit) expires in the first week of September and my company is willing to extend my visa under Tier 2 rules. I have few questions and I will appreciate if you can help me with it

1) How sooner can I apply for the extension? My visa expires in 1st week of september, is it possible to apply now? The UKBA website does not have any guideline on this, they only say that the visa should be applied at least one month before your permission to stay runs out.
I'm not sure on this though I would think it shouldn't be a problem. I would rather let a senior member reply to this than provide a vague answer.

2) How is the process of applying CoS under Transitional Arragements? Is it a simple process? My company will be applying for a CoS for the first time and no one has any idea about it? I couldn't find much help on the UKBA site regarding CoS under transitional arrangements.
The CoS process will be carried out by your company via the Online Sponsorship Management System. I believe there should be some sort of help provided else your company should be able to talk to the HO if they have any questions.

3) Thanks for the information regardin the documentary evidence. I was confused about what all documents will be required but I guess I don't need to send any with my application apart from the CoS number.
Yes, however please check the ukba website before sending your application as the rules can change in the meantime.

4) And last thing, you have mentioned that your wP expired in March 10 and your visa expires in May 10. I am a little confused with this since my WP was issued in August 2007 and it says the validity as 36 months from the date of leave to enter and my visa has a validity till 1st week of September. Am I right in assuming that it is the time in visa which is counted? Although the difference is only 3 weeks but still want to be sure about this.
You are not allowed to work for your employer beyond your WP expiry date.
Your employer should get your CoS before your WP expiry (I got the CoS within a day from my employer) and you need to apply for the Visa before your Visa expiry. As you have sufficient time now, suggest you do that a bit earlier than waiting till August

Thanks and Regards,

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 am

you're not supposed to apply for the extension until a maximum of 6 weeks from the expiry date of the current status. If you apply sooner they could refuse. However, it is now taking about 5 weeks to get an appointment at a Public Enquiry Office so if you wanted to do it the fast way (usually same-day decision) you have to book an appointment in advance.

If your company has never dealt with CoS remember that they first have to apply for a sponsor licence. This usually takes about 6 weeks. They need to look up the sponsor licence guidance on the UKBA website.

They have to meet a code of practice for your occupation before they issue the CoS. Look into those.

vinu1310
Newly Registered

Post by vinu1310 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

My company will be issuing a CoS in the first week of July which will give me around 2 months for the visa processing. About the code of practice, since it is a Transitional Arrangement, I believe "Resident Labour Market Test" isn't required and the salary given to me (according to my job title and job description) is more than the Minimum Rate mentioned in the document. Is there anything else which needs to be considered from the code of practice document?

Thanks once again.

Regards,

vinu1310
Newly Registered

Post by vinu1310 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi,

I got the visa extension under tranisitional arrangements. Thanks to kart for the information provided.

I took an appointment for visa extension, went there on the 06th August, the case worker looked at the application form (which has changed from the 31st July) and after carefully going through it, he confirmed that the visa application will be processed today. After this got the biometric done and at the end we were told that the visa has been successful and we will receive a confirmation letter soon and then the ICFN card. Received the ICFN card yesterday. So happy that the things went on smoothly.

As mentioned earlier by kart, under transtional arrangements, the only thing required along with the application form is the CoS number.

Regards,