ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lycous
Newly Registered

Switching to ILR

Post by lycous » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Hiya! I need some advice about ILR. I've been in the UK for 8 years now under a student visa and I cant find any way to fund my postgraduate studies. My whole family moved to the USA under the green card lottery scheme. Only I didnt qualify for it. I cannot go back home as there is nothing and noone there for me and the country is not stable at the moment. What can I do? :? Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:39 am

Not sure you are going to like the message but there is no way that time in the UK on a student visa is taken into account for the purpose of getting ILR ..... with the sole exception that such time can get be used under the Long Residence provisions .... 10 year or 14 year applications.

But you have been in the UK "only" eight years so do not currently qualify to make a 10 year application.

Suggestions? Any possibility of you finding Work Permit employment? Or somehow survive as a student until you have been in the UK legally for 10 years and then apply for ILR under that heading. Are your family able to help you financially?

By the way, what is it you are studying?
John

lycous
Newly Registered

Post by lycous » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for your reply John!!! I've been looking for work permit employment without success since september last year when I finished my BSc in Business management with a 2:1. But because I couldn't get anything, I registered in Uni to do a MSc in Accounting and Finance which I'm supposed to start tomorrow. It costs £7000 for the year.
:cry:
My family won't be able to help this time because my parents paid about £23,000 for my degree....
My fiance, who is also a student in the UK, advised me to look aslo into the actuarial profession since there is a shortage in this field in the UK......
That's what I've been doing...
Would you say my best option would be to obtain work permit employment?
Thank you very much for your help!!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Given that holders of student visas do need to study, if it is the case that financially you cannot afford to start your course, you certainly need to do something rapidly. Work Permit employment would seem to be ideal if you can find it.

In the absence of that it appears you will need to leave the country. But other thoughts on this very welcome.
John