ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR (spouse of a UK citizen)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JetK_258
Newly Registered

ILR (spouse of a UK citizen)

Post by JetK_258 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:56 am

Hi there,

I plan on applying for SET M ILR (spouse of a UK citizen). I was in US for a week to attend a wedding and then out of no where the volcano erupted in Iceland. I am worried that I might not be able to make it to my Croydon premium appointment on the 27th of Apr as I am stuck in the US . I did call the office twice and they pretty much told me that even though my circumstances are unfortunate and beyond my control they cannot book me in before the 29th (which is when my current visa expires).

Now assuming that I can't get back to UK before my date for the April 27th appointment I am planning on applying by post. Can you please give me an idea based on personal experiences how quickly does the Croydon office process SET M applications?

Our case should be straight forward. We have lived together for 2 years, have bills, mortgage, bank accounts, passed the life in the UK test, etc. I had to apply for an extension 2 months back so just need to add some additional paperwork to the existing one and submit.

Thanks for all your replies!

vinny

Re: ILR (spouse of a UK citizen)

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 am

JetK_258 wrote:Now assuming that I can't get back to UK before my date for the April 27th appointment I am planning on applying by post. Can you please give me an idea based on personal experiences how quickly does the Croydon office process SET M applications?
There's a problem if you are not in the UK. :(
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JetK_258
Newly Registered

Post by JetK_258 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:47 am

Sorry I was not clear. I will be applying by post from UK.... whenever I get back!

nellis83
Newly Registered

Post by nellis83 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 am

JetK_258 wrote:Sorry I was not clear. I will be applying by post from UK.... whenever I get back!
But if your current visa has expired by then, how will you get back in the country?

In answer to your question, SET(M) times vary but currently they seem to be on top of applications and a straightforward app should be back with you in 4-5 weeks.

Nick

JetK_258
Newly Registered

Post by JetK_258 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I am going to call the consulate in LA and see what they can do. According to the UK Border Agency when I called them they are taking recently expired visas into consideration if one can prove that he/she was supposed to fly in before the visa expired. I even have the premium appointment notice to prove that I had an appointment.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

As Nellis has advised, your problem will be re-entering the UK on an expired visa. Hopefully the consulate in the US will be able to help you.

JetK_258
Newly Registered

Post by JetK_258 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 pm

One would think that the UK Border Force will have some compassion or at the very least common sense. I certainly didn't light the volcano!

Anyway, here is a quote from the UK BA site: "The UK Border Agency would like to reassure travellers who have been unable to leave the UK and whose visas have now expired. We appreciate that this is due to exceptional circumstances beyond your control.
Please ensure that you retain proof of planned travel that would have enabled you to leave the UK before your visa expired. Please only contact the agency for further advice in exceptional circumstances. We will update this advice as the situation develops."

What really confuses me is that they mention people leaving UK... but what about people trying to enter UK? I don't understand why they would care about people leaving uk.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Because in normal circumstances anyone overstaying their visa would potentially have problems for future visa applications if they wished to return to the UK.