ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Build Homebuy - Registering with Council?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sganatra
Newly Registered

New Build Homebuy - Registering with Council?

Post by sganatra » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 am

Dear Friends,

I'm in confusing situation, few days back I booked the flat under New Build Homebuy scheme. I have read few topics here which suggest that it DOES NOT come under Public Funds and have confirmed with the solicitor as well.

Currently, I'm on Tier 1 (General) and due for renewal next year. The situation is that I've been asked by Marketing Agents to register with Local Council under low cost housing without which they cannot proceed. While registereing online, it specifically said that it is meant for people with either ILR or British Passport. When contacted to the council, they suggested it's a system glitch and they are aware of it and it is NOT restricted to british national or people with ILR. I've got an email confirmation highlighting the facts.

Also, I have got an email from Housing Options that it does not constitute part of Public Funds and they do not recommend to register with the council.

I'm in great confusion as going forward my dealing will be only with Housing Association but registering with Council is making me apprenhensive as I do not in anyway want to take a wrong step.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

noor1034
BANNED

Re: New Build Homebuy - Registering with Council?

Post by noor1034 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:02 pm

You need to be very careful, if you are nominated by local council, then this falls under 'public fund'.

Any assistance directly from housing associations is fine. I purchased newbuil home buy flat from housing associations but housing associations did not ask me to register with local council. I only register with housing options (which is again a nominated housing association)

You can email me your phone number. I can explain you in detail as I did lot of investigations with newbuild home buy scheme.

Also read below notes:

3.3.2.2. Housing provided independently by housing associations.

Housing associations are separate bodies to housing authorities. They are independent, not-for-profit organisations that exist to provide low-cost housing.

Where a person subject to immigration control presents themselves to a housing association and enters into a contract with them, without any kind of referral from the Local Authority/Housing Authority then this is not to be considered recourse to public funds.

Where the housing association provides accommodation following a referral by the Local Authority or Housing Authority then this is to be considered as recourse to public funds.

If it is not clear whether the housing is provided through an association or local authority, it will be necessary to contact the housing provider to establish on what basis the applicant qualified.