ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New ESOL Law 7th April

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RODNEY987
Newly Registered

New ESOL Law 7th April

Post by RODNEY987 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi

I went to Croydon today with my wife, we were applying for her ILR. We presented her ESOL, but the nasty woman told us that the college on the form was'nt registered and we could'nt progress with our application. We booked the appointment on the 8th and if we had booked it before this date then we would 'have been fine' - I really really am gutted and disappointed by this. The Home Office could have informed us before we wasted our time, and I took a day off work and made arragements. Anyway, we now have to extend her visa and re-take an 'approved course' as i dont think she will pass a test in time.

Anyway- to cut a long story short, we asked for a list of approved colleges and she said she could'nt provide one (She looked like she just got out of the wrong side of the bed!- seemed very abrupt). I have been looking for a list but can't find one, can anyone help?

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: New ESOL Law 7th April

Post by raymasa2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:47 pm

RODNEY987 wrote:Hi

I went to Croydon today with my wife, we were applying for her ILR. We presented her ESOL, but the nasty woman told us that the college on the form was'nt registered and we could'nt progress with our application. We booked the appointment on the 8th and if we had booked it before this date then we would 'have been fine' - I really really am gutted and disappointed by this. The Home Office could have informed us before we wasted our time, and I took a day off work and made arragements. Anyway, we now have to extend her visa and re-take an 'approved course' as i dont think she will pass a test in time.

Anyway- to cut a long story short, we asked for a list of approved colleges and she said she could'nt provide one (She looked like she just got out of the wrong side of the bed!- seemed very abrupt). I have been looking for a list but can't find one, can anyone help?
How do they expect you to know which are approved colleges, if they cant provide a list? This is ridiculous. Sorry to hear about this, must be very upsetting.

I don’t know if there is a list, wait for someone to respond. Also, try calling them on the phone to see if they have a list.

Also, try asking the college she took the course at why they are not approved?

Ray

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 pm

There is no list of any accredited colleges on UKBA website, but it does mention the awarding bodies, and whichever college provides certificates from such bodies, then that will be an accredited college.

A 'relevant ESOL qualification' is:

an ESOL qualification in speaking and listening at Entry 1, Entry 2 or Entry 3 level approved by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual); or
one National Qualifications Unit in ESOL at Access 2, Access 3 or Intermediate 1 level approved by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
'Approved awarding bodies' in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are:

Ascentis (formerly Open College of the Northwest)
Cambridge ESOL
City & Guilds (Pitmans)
Edexcel
Education Development International (EDI)
English Speaking Board (International) Limited
National Open College Network
Trinity College London
In Scotland, the only approved awarding body is the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

To demonstrate 'relevant progress', your college must confirm that you have progressed by at least one level from the level at which you were assessed at the beginning of the course that led to your relevant qualification. For example, if you were initially assessed by your college as being below Entry 1 level, you must obtain a relevant ESOL qualification at Entry 1 level or above.

You should check with your college to ensure that it is accredited as described above, and that the course meets all of the above requirements. If your college is not accredited, or if the course does not meet all of the above requirements, your application will be refused.

There is a telephone number on Directgove website that you can ring and ask about the esol course and colleges. 0800 100 900 .

After they provide you details of Esol course near you, it would still be a good idea to personally go into that college and confirm with them that they are accredited by one of the above mentioned awarding bodies.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 pm

It was only a matter of time before this happened. Certificates were being issued for 'rip off fees' with little or no study involved.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:35 pm

I agree. Certificates were on sale for x amount of money. People who could hardly speak english themselves were running such colleges.

single_lonely
Newly Registered

Post by single_lonely » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

rodney,

which college did she go to and who was the awarding body
(AQA, City and Guilds etc)

mashk
Newly Registered

Post by mashk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 am

I know some people who used these 'courses' to get indefinite leave. And were planning to use the certificates given to obtain nationality.

I take it, they'll either have to Pass the Life in the UK test or go on a legitimate course when the time comes?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:14 pm

The position at the moment is that if someone did the course before applying for ILR, then they wont have to do another test before they apply for naturalisation.

single_lonely
Newly Registered

Post by single_lonely » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 pm

mrlookforward

can you confirm where you read this information?
if using a certificate for ILR then the same can be used for naturilasation?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:26 am

Have a look at form AN and its guidance.