ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

is it the same ruling?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

swisskiwi
Newly Registered

is it the same ruling?

Post by swisskiwi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 am

Hello i have been advised to ask in this forum for an answer. I no that the uk unmarried partner has to of lived together for a minimum of two years, but my lawyer has told me under eea law, a eea member who is in a relationship with a non eea does not nesacceraly have to of been living together for two years?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: is it the same ruling?

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:10 pm

swisskiwi wrote:Hello i have been advised to ask in this forum for an answer. I no that the uk unmarried partner has to of lived together for a minimum of two years, but my lawyer has told me under eea law, a eea member who is in a relationship with a non eea does not nesacceraly have to of been living together for two years?
Theoretically true, the EU rule is 'duly attested' - quite vague, so the UK HO stiffen it up to mean two years, inline with National UK immigration law. Remember there is a perceived lack of commitment with unmarried partners from an immigration point of view to the two year thing is fair enough really...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 pm

And also the EEA rules state that the rules cannot put the non-EEA applicants in a worse position than those applying under EEA rules.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

swisskiwi
Newly Registered

Post by swisskiwi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks for that, i agree two tears is fair enough. I'll see how i get on and let everyone no.
Cheers