ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Green Card holder moving to NL, spouse staying in IE

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nomad81
Newly Registered

Green Card holder moving to NL, spouse staying in IE

Post by Nomad81 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm a green card holder (getting a Stamp 4 in June) who is considering relocating to the Netherlands.

Naturally, my wife will be transferring as well, but relocating with her company will take at least another 6 months (maybe more).

Once I've moved, I will spend some weekends in Dublin, or she will spend some weekends in Amsterdam with me. My question is, does my Stamp 4 become invalid if I am no longer working for an Irish company?

What if I say to the GNIB that I am working from home for a Dutch company?

Any ideas?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Green Card holder moving to NL, spouse staying in IE

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:05 am

Nomad81 wrote:I'm a green card holder (getting a Stamp 4 in June) who is considering relocating to the Netherlands.

Naturally, my wife will be transferring as well, but relocating with her company will take at least another 6 months (maybe more).

Once I've moved, I will spend some weekends in Dublin, or she will spend some weekends in Amsterdam with me. My question is, does my Stamp 4 become invalid if I am no longer working for an Irish company?

What if I say to the GNIB that I am working from home for a Dutch company?

Any ideas?
most companies are not even irish lol. nationality of company in ireland is not relevant

seriously though, the green card / work permits are strict. your residency is based at least on the grounds that you work for company x in ireland.however you said "transfer", is this the same company? many companies, particularily in occupations covered under green cards would probably require, as part of the job, a bit of travelling.

is the company in ireland and netherlands the same? if not, is the travelling in the course of business on behalf of the company in ireland? if so, you should be ok, so long as you are in ireland regularily and do not require too much travel till you get stamp 4 or out of ireland

if no, and if company is separate, stay quiete

by the way, stamp 4 residency is based on intentions of residing in the country on a continous basis. if the state found out that you are not continously based in ireland or at least your ordinary residence is in ireland, it could be revoked.

but, sure look, what are the chances gnib are going to notice this? whilst on stamp 4, although you are required to work in order to not be a burden to the state, your employmeny, like wp or gc is not soley based on the purpose of your residency. for all they know, you could be in the middle of setting up your own business.if you aint drawing the dole and taking massive chunk of social welfare but self financing yourself, the you comply eith stamp 4 requirements.

in the case that you have cut all ties with your company in ireland and get stamp 4 the better!

Nomad81
Newly Registered

Re: Green Card holder moving to NL, spouse staying in IE

Post by Nomad81 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
most companies are not even irish lol. nationality of company in ireland is not relevant

seriously though, the green card / work permits are strict. your residency is based at least on the grounds that you work for company x in ireland.however you said "transfer", is this the same company? many companies, particularily in occupations covered under green cards would probably require, as part of the job, a bit of travelling.

is the company in ireland and netherlands the same? if not, is the travelling in the course of business on behalf of the company in ireland? if so, you should be ok, so long as you are in ireland regularily and do not require too much travel till you get stamp 4 or out of ireland

if no, and if company is separate, stay quiete

by the way, stamp 4 residency is based on intentions of residing in the country on a continous basis. if the state found out that you are not continously based in ireland or at least your ordinary residence is in ireland, it could be revoked.

but, sure look, what are the chances gnib are going to notice this? whilst on stamp 4, although you are required to work in order to not be a burden to the state, your employmeny, like wp or gc is not soley based on the purpose of your residency. for all they know, you could be in the middle of setting up your own business.if you aint drawing the dole and taking massive chunk of social welfare but self financing yourself, the you comply eith stamp 4 requirements.

in the case that you have cut all ties with your company in ireland and get stamp 4 the better!
Thanks for the response walrusgrumble. I've forgotten about this post from long-ago.

So I got my stamp 4 now, and I am resigning from the company that sponsored me the Green Card next month.

The DETI (formerly DETE) website says something about "any change in employment circumstances should be communicated to the DETI/E immediately."

I wonder how they will react if I said I am salaried by a Dutch-registered company (actually, multinational firm with offices in pretty much every European country). Perhaps they might come back and say "You should be salaried out of company x's Dublin office instead of their Dutch office."

Or maybe I should just keep quiet about it. My stamp 4 lasts for another 12 months, and I reckon I will only be travelling back and forth to Dublin for another 3 or 4 months.

The flipside to this is that I know my current company is quite pedantic when it comes to immigration matters and they will surely send the Green Card back to the DETI/E after I finish up with them.