ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension of visa for my mother-in-law

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolguycp1

Extension of visa for my mother-in-law

Post by coolguycp1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 am

My mother-in-law is currently in UK on a 6 month family visit visa which expires in July 2010. I want her to stay on for another couple of months. Is it possible by any means to extend her stay in UK?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Extension of visa for my mother-in-law

Post by Rozen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:04 am

coolguycp1 wrote:My mother-in-law is currently in UK on a 6 month family visit visa which expires in July 2010. I want her to stay on for another couple of months. Is it possible by any means to extend her stay in UK?
Generally, NOPE!
Unless there was some really extenuating reason! For example, serious illness (for which she would have to submit medical reports), civil war in her country of origin, etc...
She will have to go back, I'm afraid!
And she can only apply for another visit visa after SIX months from date of expiry of current visa, as one is only allowed to visit the UK for six months in every twelve!
No two ways about it! That's just the way it is. :(

coolguycp1

Post by coolguycp1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 am

Rozen,

Thanks for your reply. As you said, she can re-apply for a visa after six months again. Can she apply for a 1 year visa then as I have been told by some of my friends that you can get a longer visa for your next visit?

Another query, I am also intending to invite my uncle (my mother's brother) and his wife over to UK. Apart from the normal documents, do I need to provide evidence of my relationship with them? If yes, what evidence can I provide?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 am

On the first point - the 1 year visa - yes you can apply for a longer visa and you'll need to show that you've stayed well within the bounds of the first visa.

However, the visa might be valid for 1 year - but the visit length is still limited to 6 months. All the 1 year allows is multiple visits in that one year - but the visits should really not total more than around 6 months of time in the UK.

The way they are thinking is that any longer than 6 in any 12 months isn't a visit.

The fact that your mother has had the 6 month visa and used almost all of it here may count against her in applying for a longer visa as they may be concerned she won't be a genuine visitor.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:55 pm

coolguycp1 wrote:Rozen,

Thanks for your reply. As you said, she can re-apply for a visa after six months again. Can she apply for a 1 year visa then as I have been told by some of my friends that you can get a longer visa for your next visit?
She can even apply for a 2 or 5 year one!
As long as she does not overstay the current visa, she should be good to go.
It does not matter if she completes the whole 6 months on her current visa, in terms of it (length f previous stay) having any effect on her application for a long term multiple one.
Please note that even with the long term visa, she can only stay for a total of up to six months in every twelve.
The main advantage of the long term visitor visa, is that she doesn’t have to keep going to the BHC to re-apply (and probably pay increased fares) for the duration of its validity!.
coolguycp1 wrote:
Another query, I am also intending to invite my uncle (my mother's brother) and his wife over to UK. Apart from the normal documents, do I need to provide evidence of my relationship with them? If yes, what evidence can I provide?
Proof of your relationship with your mother (birth certificate with your names on it, I guess) as well as proof of your mother’s relationship with your uncle. Do they have birth certificates that show your grandparents as their parents? Or perhaps an affidavit? Not sure what they do in your country in the absence of birth certificates.