ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting the UK Alone

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ejw4h9

Visiting the UK Alone

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am

I have read up on the forum about traveling with and without your EU partner, but I still have a question. I'm an American citizen living in Austria. I am married to an Austrian citizen and have residency here (Aufenhaltstitel). I have a couple of job interviews in the UK and was wondering if I could travel alone to them?

I know that I don't need a Schengen visa and I know that I can live and work wherever. However, whenever I've entered the UK from abroad and go through passport control, I'm usually asked if I have insurance, return tickets, purpose of visit, etc.

So, will it raise red flags to immigration if I arrive and say that I have a job interview and am without my wife? If need be, she can go with me, but it would be easier if I could go alone.

Any help is always appreciated!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:55 am

No, no, no!!

If you attempt to enter UK armed with interview paraphernalia and tell the IO you are looking for a job you will be bounced and probably banned.

It's not true you don't need visas and can live and work in EU, you can only do that with your wife when she exercises a treaty right, which she isn't doing now. WRT to Schengen etc, you will still need visas as per your nationality.

Remember, your right to free movement derives from your wife's EU status, you can't do anything without her.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am

Wanderer wrote:If you attempt to enter UK armed with interview paraphernalia and tell the IO you are looking for a job you will be bounced and probably banned.
So you are saying that it is not possible to enter the UK as a visitor for a job interview?

Wanderer wrote:It's not true you don't need visas and can live and work in EU, you can only do that with your wife when she exercises a treaty right, which she isn't doing now. WRT to Schengen etc, you will still need visas as per your nationality.
The OP is in possession of a settlement permit (if my memory serves me well) which substitutes for a short term visa within the Schengen area.

Anyway, the question would be better suited for the General UK immigration forum.

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

Wow, thanks Wanderer. I had simply assumed that it would be considered a tourist visit as long as I wasn't planning on leaving, so it's good to know now!

I didn't mean to imply that I could live/work anywhere, but that I had the right to be where my wife is.

Would I be ok to attend an interview if I bring my wife? We're planning on moving to the UK this summer and I had interpreted it to be that we would be able to enter and stay together and that after 90 days she needs to be self-sufficient, a student or working. Now I'm wondering whether I need to apply for any sort of visa before we move? I thought I could simply enter on my passport via the Visa Waiver Program?

Thanks again, Wanderer...you're always quick with info here!

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 am

@86ti: Sorry, crossed posts with you. You're right, it's starting to look like a UK immigration topic, my apologies...will mods automatically move it?

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am

Great memory, by the way...yes, I have an Aufenthaltstitel...I will have to renew it in October and every year for the first 5 years. It allows me residency and " Freier zugang zum Arbeitsmarkt"...I'm free to work anywhere in the open market, I just can't claim unemployment benefits.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am

ejw4h9 wrote:@86ti: Sorry, crossed posts with you. You're right, it's starting to look like a UK immigration topic, my apologies...will mods automatically move it?
If you ask them... Just write a new message in the other forum.

Your assumption regarding the move together with your wife are basically correct. Formally, you would have to apply for the EEA family permit as your intentions are to live with your wife in the UK. In practice, you could try without the permit. The IOs would have to let you eventually in provided that you can proof your relationship to the EEA national by other means (I suppose you will have all relevant documents on you anyway). May be a hassle, maybe not. You may also encounter an IO unaware of the rules...

The renewal of the settlement permit should be every 2 years after the second renewal. It only allows you to work in Austria.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 am

All I know is that on Sky One's UK Border Force it showed a tourist (American too IIRC) being stopped by the IO, bags searched and they found CV's, jobserve prints and interview appointments - the presumption being the guy will just not return if he got the job. They bounced him immediately and flagged him so he need to apply for UK visit visa formally in future.

I'm sure 90% of people aren't even stopped but it's not a risk I'd want to take.

If I was to try it I'd make sure I had everything on online storage/webmail and not be daft enough to carry it around in my bag!

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am

All I can add is that my wife just got a visitor visa when she explained to the ECO that she wanted to go to the UK for a job interview.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

86ti wrote:All I can add is that my wife just got a visitor visa when she explained to the ECO that she wanted to go to the UK for a job interview.
Just goes to show really, depends on mood of ECO/IO's!

How many time do we see people getting visit visas for acknowledged girlfriends, and equal amounts being denied.

Sometimes it's ok, others the ECO takes it as 'not a genuine visitor' - which is the key phrase I think, discuss "What is a 'Genuine Visitor'?"

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:19 am

I've got to reboot and defrag my disk, carry on without me for a bit!

Who said Macs don't need defragging.....

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am

Wanderer wrote:
86ti wrote:All I can add is that my wife just got a visitor visa when she explained to the ECO that she wanted to go to the UK for a job interview.
Just goes to show really, depends on mood of ECO/IO's!
I guess, it also depends in which country one applies, the personal circumstance, etc. ...

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

All I know is that on Sky One's UK Border Force it showed a tourist (American too IIRC) being stopped by the IO, bags searched and they found CV's, jobserve prints and interview appointments - the presumption being the guy will just not return if he got the job.
I don't think any nationality should get special privileges that other nations wouldn't get. I don't think that because I'm American that immigration laws don't apply to me - I hope I didn't give that impression.

I want to be legal about it, not just saying I'm a tourist for the afternoon with business attire, haha. So, I'll bring my wife. Is it ok to declare that I'm here to interview for a job if my wife is with me? Thanks again for the help guys.