ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Effects on a tourist visa due to a visa refusal in 1997

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrlookforward
BANNED

Effects on a tourist visa due to a visa refusal in 1997

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:39 pm

HI,

I am an Indian Citizen and I am legal permanent Resident of United Kingdom with Indefinite Leave to Remain. I previously had a US visa category C1/D. This visa was issued to me as I was a crew member on a merchant ship. Visa issue in January 1997 and was valid until January 2002. It was issued in Bombay, India as I lived in India that time. I passed through miami airport twice on this visa and entered via merchant ship several times. I have 2 stamps of maimi immigration on the passport. Entry via merchant ships does not get stamped on the passport.
Then I applied for a tourist visa in september 1997 at US embassy in Delhi, India. ( C1/D visa was still valid) This was refused, and the embassy didnt give any reason/explanation for refusal. The old C1/D visa, and the refusal stamps are in my old expired passport.

I might apply for a US visit/tourist visa. The form clearly asks for any past visas, visits and refusals.

Now my question is, Will the refusal in september 1997 have an adverse effect on my future tourtist visa?

PS: I will now apply for Visa in London.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:31 pm

not knowing why you were refused will be difficult to say whether it will adversely affect your application. I think though the guidance on the US Embassy, London website they say
Will the stamp in my passport prevent me from getting a visa in the future?

Having your visa application refused here in the United Kingdom does not make you ineligible to receive a visa in the future. U.S. consular officers will understand that your application here was evaluated and refused based on the strength of your ties to the United Kingdom. If you choose to apply anywhere else, your application will be evaluated based upon any ties you have to that country, and on the merits of that application alone.
So you need to make sure that your ties to the UK are in order, eg. home, family, work, finances. I think having ILR helps but just makesure all other things are in order

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for this very helpful info.
I was refused in 1997 in India, but now I permanently live and work in UK, so it shouldnt be a problem.

saunderscolin15
Newly Registered

Post by saunderscolin15 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I don't really know whether you still need my answer. However, according to me it is not going to affect you in anyway. As it is clearly mentioned that once your visa application is rejected you can apply for visa after 2 years, and its already 13 years now. Make sure your papers are alright. No one can reject your visa application if every thing you submitted is in place.
All the best.
USAFIS.org
Immigration Consultancy

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 05, 2010 3:26 pm

I havent submitted the application yet, so yes your advice is useful. Its been 13 years since rejection, do I still need to disclose it?
Rejected in India, now applying in UK.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:33 pm

mrlookforward wrote:I havent submitted the application yet, so yes your advice is useful. Its been 13 years since rejection, do I still need to disclose it?
Rejected in India, now applying in UK.
If asked, you need to disclose it. It doesn't matter than 13 years have passed. In any case, it shouldn't make a difference, especially if you are now settled in the UK.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 pm

thanks very much for the clarification. one last thing I need to ask is that is it necessary to provide an address where I want to stay in usa? It will either be an independent hotel, or could be a hotel provided within a holiday package of disney world, or maybe arranged through a holiday company in UK. I am not sure yet.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm

mrlookforward wrote:thanks very much for the clarification. one last thing I need to ask is that is it necessary to provide an address where I want to stay in usa? It will either be an independent hotel, or could be a hotel provided within a holiday package of disney world, or maybe arranged through a holiday company in UK. I am not sure yet.
If the form asks for an address, you should include it. Of course it's ok to put a hotel address.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks very much for all the info. :D