ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

eu card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

khankhattak

eu card

Post by khankhattak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm

my friend got eu card in cyprus on the card the nationality is pakistani and my friend's passport is also pakistani the question is can my friend come to uk on that eu card without visa thanks
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: eu card

Post by Rozen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 pm

khankhattak wrote:my friend got eu card in cyprus on the card the nationality is pakistani and my friend's passport is also pakistani the question is can my friend come to uk on that eu card without visa thanks
NO! He must apply for EEA FP if travelling with EU Family Member!
Or apply for ordinary visitor visa if he is travelling alone!

khankhattak

Post by khankhattak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Rozen wrote:
khankhattak wrote:my friend got eu card in cyprus on the card the nationality is pakistani and my friend's passport is also pakistani the question is can my friend come to uk on that eu card without visa thanks
NO! He must apply for EEA FP if travelling with EU Family Member!
Or apply for ordinary visitor visa if he is travelling alone!
but can u please explain me he can go to spain or other eu country on that eu card without visa
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:45 pm

khankhattak wrote:but can u please explain me he can go to spain or other eu country on that eu card without visa
Most Schengen states may be fine if travelling with the EEA national. If travelling alone a Schengen visa may be needed but exceptions may exist. You really have to check out the information from the respective embassy first.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 pm

khankhattak wrote:but can u please explain me he can go to spain or other eu country on that eu card without visa
It's usually okay to go visa free within the schengen area if you have an EU card. You specifically mentioned UK!
UK is NOT Schengen, and they prefer that family members apply for an EEA FP, regardless that they already have an EU Residence Document from another EU state! And this is only if you're travelling with (or joining) your EU partner in the UK.
Otherwise, on your own, you will have to get an ordinary visit visa (under UK law) and you pay for it, like everyone else!
UK is a different kettle of fish! Don't confuse it with the schengen states.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Rozen wrote:UK is NOT Schengen
Neither is Cyprus...

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:36 pm

86ti wrote:
Neither is Cyprus...
I know! But the difference is that Cyprus allows family members of EU nationals to enter visa free, whereas UK does not.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Rozen wrote:
86ti wrote:
Neither is Cyprus...
I know! But the difference is that Cyprus allows family members of EU nationals to enter visa free, whereas UK does not.
But obviously the OP's friend also wants to enter "spain or other eu country" from Cyprus with an "eu card" (is this actually a residence card issued to an EEA family member?) issued by Cyprus.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 pm

86ti wrote: But obviously the OP's friend also wants to enter "spain or other eu country" from Cyprus with an "eu card" (is this actually a residence card issued to an EEA family member?) issued by Cyprus.
Well, I've just assumed all along that he had an EU Family Member card under the Directive! Now I'm REALLY off!
Goede nacht!