ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outrage over 'Nazi' law for migrants

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

acme4242

Outrage over 'Nazi' law for migrants

Post by acme4242 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 am

US outrage over 'Nazi' law for migrants in Arizona
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... 56981.html
an immigration law that some politicians have condemned as reminiscent of the early days of Nazi Germany.

The law, described by President Obama as un-American, requires Arizona police to arrest anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. Critics say the move will lead to discrimination and facial profiling.
This same policy is in Ireland thanks to Mr Mcdowell read >here<
And here is the outcome
ICI calls for investigation of unlawful detention of Irish citizen
http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/newslett ... .php?id=42
The Immigrant Council of Ireland has written to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, asking him to investigate the unlawful detention of an Irish citizen on “immigration groundsâ€

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

According to the article, the law is backed by 70pc of voters in Arizona. Outrage, indeed. :)

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Outrage over 'Nazi' law for migrants

Post by mktsoi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm

acme4242 wrote:US outrage over 'Nazi' law for migrants in Arizona
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... 56981.html
an immigration law that some politicians have condemned as reminiscent of the early days of Nazi Germany.

The law, described by President Obama as un-American, requires Arizona police to arrest anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. Critics say the move will lead to discrimination and facial profiling.
This same policy is in Ireland thanks to Mr Mcdowell read >here<
And here is the outcome
ICI calls for investigation of unlawful detention of Irish citizen
http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/newslett ... .php?id=42
The Immigrant Council of Ireland has written to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, asking him to investigate the unlawful detention of an Irish citizen on “immigration groundsâ€

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

man that happened to me too..I was along the Quays driving and Garda stopped me because my tax disc or insurance I think was not on display because I just renewed it its actually inside me car.

he asked for it and I showed it and he asked for my drivers license I showed him my full license .. hes not satisfied and asked me if im legally in the state (a traffic Gard not Immigration officer hahaha) I said I am and he wants to see my GNIB card he asked me what I am doing in Ireland! errr working, living here long time Officer. (paying your wages hehehehe)

I felt really uncomfortable.. but I think hes just doing hes job...
keeping the streets of Dublin safe
pen pen de sarapin de kutsilyo de armasen
haw haw de karabaw de batutin

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

They could require that everyone carries ID (like the Netherlands), but it should apply to all, not just a few.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:53 pm

kabuki wrote:They could require that everyone carries ID (like the Netherlands), but it should apply to all, not just a few.
The UK required compulsory ID papers until the 1950's, this was dropped, one of the reasons was the police where using it as a form of oppression, There was complaints that the police where stopping people they already knew, and demanding ID. sometimes stopping the same person more than once in the same day.

Be careful, a police state is neither safe or secure, just oppressive.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm

acme4242 wrote:
kabuki wrote:They could require that everyone carries ID (like the Netherlands), but it should apply to all, not just a few.
The UK required compulsory ID papers until the 1950's, this was dropped, one of the reasons was the police where using it as a form of oppression, There was complaints that the police where stopping people they already knew, and demanding ID. sometimes stopping the same person more than once in the same day.

Be careful, a police state is neither safe or secure, just oppressive.
This isn't the case in NL. They just require an ID of some sort (picture and address), natioanl ID, driver's license or passport. They don't go around enforcing it, stopping people on the road either, but if you are being stopped for leagal reasons, they will add an additional fine. It's way to prevent anyone in the country from giving false information when being stopped for a crime (riding public transport without paying, destroying property, stealing). I think it makes perfect sense. No more giving fals information and getting away with a crime, like many people do on the LUAS here. In this regards, it's a pretty good measure to have in place.

In reality, required or not, it's always a good idea to carry ID for many reasons. I do think it's ridiculous to be stopping random people and asking for papers. Don't misunderstand my comment. I'm against that completely. It is ridiculous in the US with the regular checkpoints in Cali. It's a major inconvenience when you need to get somewhere and traffic is backed up.

Anyway, immigration here is a bit ridiculous. Most immigration officers don't have a clue. When I first moved here to train as an accountant on a Stamp 1A, the officer at the airport said there is no stamp 1a and that it would be ridiculous, foreigners to come in and train as an accountant. It was hard to keep my cool.

Anyway, I do believe stopping people randomly and harrassing them, especially Irish and EU nationals is ridiculous, but that's the way things are for now. Hopefully they will change. Things seem to keep changin seadily, albeit slowly. Maybe they can speed things up a bit.
Last edited by kabuki on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

kabuki wrote:When I first moved here to train as an accountant on a Stamp 1A, the officer at the airport said there is no stamp 1a and that it would be ridiculous, foreigners to come in and train as an accountant. It was hard to keep my cool.
What a welcome.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:52 pm

acme4242 wrote: The UK required compulsory ID papers until the 1950's, this was dropped, one of the reasons was the police where using it as a form of oppression, There was complaints that the police where stopping people they already knew, and demanding ID. sometimes stopping the same person more than once in the same day.
That makes sense.

Take this for an example, if a cop stops me, even though he knows me and informs me that I have a faulty head light on my car. He then tells me not to drive again until I have fixed the problem. Later on in the day ,if he sees me on the road again, of course he is going to stop me to make sure I complied with his earlier instructions.

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:01 pm

IrishTom wrote:That makes sense.
Does it? So you want Gardai to stop you and ask for your ID whenever they want, correct? I assume that you carry a form of ID that identifies you as an Irish citizen? Irish driving license does not count, btw. So you have to to carry your passport with you at all times (does Ireland have National ID cards?). Otherwise Garda may detain you until somebody brings your passport. That would be fun :roll:
Last edited by victor8600 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All your base are belong to us

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm

victor8600 wrote:does Ireland have National ID cards?
No.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:02 pm

victor8600 wrote:
Does it? So you want Gardai to stop you and ask for your ID whenever they want, correct? I assume that you carry a form of ID that identifies you as an Irish citizen? Irish driving license does not count, btw. So you have to to carry your passport with you at all times (does Ireland have National ID cards?). Otherwise Garda may detain you until somebody brings your passport. That would be fun :roll:
as i mentioned before. if they accusing you of something. they will have to produce evidence and not you to proof it! Garda is part of DOJ. if they cant even check you status in ireland, who can? :)))))) this is just showing how incomplete they are!

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

mktsoi wrote:
victor8600 wrote:
as i mentioned before. if they accusing you of something. they will have to produce evidence and not you to proof it! Garda is part of DOJ. if they cant even check you status in ireland, who can? :)))))) this is just showing how incomplete they are!
Wrong.

Question

What powers do the Gardaí have to stop and question me?

Answer

Most of the powers given to the Gardaí to stop and question members of the public are set out in law (known as statutory powers). In some cases Gardaí are entitled to stop and question you where no statutory power exists. This is known as a common law power.

An example of this would be where a Garda observes you acting suspiciously late at night. The Garda is entitled to stop you in order to detect and prevent crime. You are under no legal obligation to co-operate with the Garda and the Garda cannot use force to restrain your freedom under common law without arresting you. However, if the Garda has reasonable grounds for suspecting that you have committed an offence, the Garda can use a statutory power to demand your name and address. If you refuse to provide them, then the Garda can arrest you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/News/ ... rda-powers

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:42 pm

IrishTom wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
victor8600 wrote:
Wrong.

Question

What powers do the Gardaí have to stop and question me?

Answer

Most of the powers given to the Gardaí to stop and question members of the public are set out in law (known as statutory powers). In some cases Gardaí are entitled to stop and question you where no statutory power exists. This is known as a common law power.

An example of this would be where a Garda observes you acting suspiciously late at night. The Garda is entitled to stop you in order to detect and prevent crime. You are under no legal obligation to co-operate with the Garda and the Garda cannot use force to restrain your freedom under common law without arresting you. However, if the Garda has reasonable grounds for suspecting that you have committed an offence, the Garda can use a statutory power to demand your name and address. If you refuse to provide them, then the Garda can arrest you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/News/ ... rda-powers
Tom

You are right about that, but the point i was trying to make was if you end up in the Garda Station. What should it be. Should you proof yourself was right or they have to proof you wrong. They were accusing that man being illegal in the country and his wife has to bring his passport over. what if he is a single guy and living on his own??? get me?

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 am

mktsoi wrote: Tom

You are right about that, but the point i was trying to make was if you end up in the Garda Station. What should it be. Should you proof yourself was right or they have to proof you wrong. They were accusing that man being illegal in the country and his wife has to bring his passport over. what if he is a single guy and living on his own??? get me?
Then, I presume they would ask him for the keys to his abode and call around themselves to find the necessary proof.

I see that the MCI have used this case as a stick to beat the gardai with. But lets take a moment and look at this from a different angle. Let me use a competely hypothetical scenario to make a point.

Some young lad comes home from the pub tonight. He is a heavy smoker, he has only two left in his box of ten. He decides to go to the local 24/7 garage and pick up a ten pack of his favourite brand. Its cold, so he puts up his hood. He has been in his local, so he has a few on board. The local garda patrol notices this lad stumbling towards him. The gardai approach him and enquire as to what he is up to. Where is he coming from and where is he going. He replies, with a smoke in his gob, that he is going to the shop to buy a ten pack of smokes. In a slurred voice. The garda doesnt swallow this and asks him for his name and address. He gives the name of John Joe MacGilly. The gardai asks John Joe to show him his I.D, to prove this is his real name. John Joe protests, that indeed, is his real name. The Garda arrests him and brings him down to local cop shop under suspicion of giving a garda untruthful information. After John Joe has spent an hour in the cells, it transpires that he was indeed, telling the truth. He is released and receives an apology.

Technically and legally, the gardai have done nothing wrong.

Now, let us look at the Chinese gentlemans case. First off, there are many, many Chinese working illegally in Ireland. Personally, I dont really care as the asians work their left one off, dont become a drain on the state and cause little or no problems.

First off, remember that China does not allow its citizens obtain dual-citizenship. So that would put of a large amount of the Chinese in Ireland, from eventually obtaining Irish citizenship. I must admit, this is a presumption on my part, as I do not have exact figures on the number of Chinese whom have become naturalised Irish citizens. But still, I would be surprised if I was proved wrong in my presumption.

Secondly, and more importantly, please remember that Ireland has only recently, become a multicultural/muilti ethnic/ multi facial society. It takes some getting used. It may have been the garda in questions, first time dealing with an asian looking gent, with a Chinese accent, telling him that hes an Irish citizen. Its new to us, we are going to make some mistakes. Just like when I heard a young fella of african origin around my own age at the time, on the hill in 1999, tell the ref to "gerrup outta dat, ya ****" in a thicker Dublin accent than me. It takes time for us to adapt.

rlow68

Post by rlow68 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Now, let us look at the Chinese gentlemans case. First off, there are many, many Chinese working illegally in Ireland. Personally, I dont really care as the asians work their left one off, dont become a drain on the state and cause little or no problems.

First off, remember that China does not allow its citizens obtain dual-citizenship. So that would put of a large amount of the Chinese in Ireland, from eventually obtaining Irish citizenship. I must admit, this is a presumption on my part, as I do not have exact figures on the number of Chinese whom have become naturalised Irish citizens. But still, I would be surprised if I was proved wrong in my presumption.
This article stated that the gentleman is Chinese and is Irish National, then how come you mentioned that China does not allow its citizens to have double nationality?
Irish Tom@ you are always discriminative of the immigrants you want in this country even if they are illegal, you dont mind a chinese being illegal, but if he is African, as far as you are concerned he or she should be faced. Again is it Chinese alone that work hard, so other immigrants dont work hard nor they are lazy?
Mind you Irish Tom most of these immigrants are not Chinese, for the mere fact that they look like Chinese make no diference, most of them are from Tibet, Indonesia, Malaysia, Macau, Taiwan, singapore, Cambodia, kyrgyztan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Korea etc.
Your memo shows the kind of the person you are, you are discriminatice and a dearly beloved. I personally will not reply or even read your memo, as most are disgusting.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 pm

rlow68 wrote:
This article stated that the gentleman is Chinese and is Irish National, then how come you mentioned that China does not allow its citizens to have double nationality?
The Article 3 of China Nationality Law holds that Peoples Republic of China will not admit the dual nationality of a Chinese citizen. Moreover, the Article 9 of China Nationality Law declares that as soon as a Chinese takes a foreign citizenship, he will automatically lose his Chinese citizenship. The man is now an Irish citizen of Chinese origin.

rlow68 wrote:Irish Tom@ you are always discriminative of the immigrants you want in this country even if they are illegal, you dont mind a chinese being illegal, but if he is African, as far as you are concerned he or she should be faced.
Asians tend not to become a burden on the state. Especially compared to immigrants from the african continent.

See here and work it out for yourself.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Dialog/ ... er/&lang=1

rlow68 wrote:Mind you Irish Tom most of these immigrants are not Chinese, for the mere fact that they look like Chinese make no diference, most of them are from Tibet, Indonesia, Malaysia, Macau, Taiwan, singapore, Cambodia, kyrgyztan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Korea etc.
I do know the difference but thanks all the same.

rlow68 wrote:Your memo shows the kind of the person you are, you are discriminatice and a dearly beloved. I personally will not reply or even read your memo, as most are disgusting.
Let me guess, you arrived here as an "asylum seeker", got refused, got leave to remain under the IBC scam, sorry scheme, worked for a bit and are now on the scratcher?

Am I right or am I right? If so, I take your comments as a compliment.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sat May 01, 2010 6:22 pm

rlow68 wrote:I personally will not reply or even read your memo, as most are disgusting.
What memo?
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon May 03, 2010 11:34 am

rlow68 wrote:most of these immigrants are not Chinese, for the mere fact that they look like Chinese make no diference, most of them are from Tibet, Indonesia, Malaysia, Macau, Taiwan, singapore, Cambodia, kyrgyztan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Korea etc.
You're wrong.

Of all those you've listed, PRC nationals are the most plentiful in Ireland.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Ben wrote:
rlow68 wrote:most of these immigrants are not Chinese, for the mere fact that they look like Chinese make no diference, most of them are from Tibet, Indonesia, Malaysia, Macau, Taiwan, singapore, Cambodia, kyrgyztan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Korea etc.
You're wrong.

of course, because all those people from the list added uo still have less population hahaha

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 pm

mktsoi wrote:
Ben wrote:
You're wrong.

of course, because all those people from the list added uo still have less population hahaha
actually the Chinese are the majority of Asians here before like 2002 to 2007 I think. most of them came back to China as the Chinese economy is
getting better.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Tue May 04, 2010 3:05 am

According to RTE, during the recent Chinese New Year, 70,000 Chinese(most illegally) citizens are resident in the Irish state. That was only a couple of months ago.

While Chinas economy booms, its human rights issues doom.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:28 pm

another entry in today's indo, Nothing new, it clarifies that the police officer can question at any time. Which is actually the the same as the Irish Law.

'dearly beloved' US law sparks protests in 70 cities
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... 61188.html
The law, signed by Arizona's Republican governor Jan Brewer on April 23, allows police to question anyone they believe may be an illegal immigrant -- even if they are not suspected of a crime.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/ ... html#sec12
Requirement as to production of documents.

12.—(1) Every non-national shall produce on demand, unless he or she gives a satisfactory explanation of the circumstances which prevent him or her from so doing—

(a) a valid passport or other equivalent document, issued by or on behalf of an authority recognised by the Government, which establishes his or her identity and nationality, and

(b) in case he or she is registered or deemed to be registered under this Act, his or her registration certificate.

(2) A non-national who contravenes this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) In this section “on demandâ€

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Tue May 04, 2010 5:31 pm

IrishTom wrote:According to RTE, during the recent Chinese New Year, 70,000 Chinese(most illegally) citizens are resident in the Irish state. That was only a couple of months ago.

While Chinas economy booms, its human rights issues doom.
most is not illegal here they are students mostly and builders.
some became resident thru IBC some got work permits and became Irish
I can tell you this because I worked with a lot of
Chinese before.
30 percent of them that I know, believe it or not , went home already.

Have you been to China yet? you would love it
I tell you, you should invest in China now.
Human rights is bad I agree with you but if you live in China its a huge , big ,massive country mate you would not notice this things especially if you have MONEY! same as?......you guessed it, anywhere in the whole wide world.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 pm

smalltime wrote:most is not illegal here they are students mostly and builders.
some became resident thru IBC some got work permits and became Irish
I can tell you this because I worked with a lot of
Chinese before.
30 percent of them that I know, believe it or not , went home already.
PRC nationals are often here on either current or expired student visas. They may or may not be actually studying, but they are almost certainly working (sometimes in excess of the permitted 20 hours during term-time).