ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about mother-in-law family visit invitation letter

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scousedennis79
Newly Registered

Questions about mother-in-law family visit invitation letter

Post by scousedennis79 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi all,

I have been a long time follower of these excellent foruums, but now I have a question(s), and would be eternally grateful if somebody can give me a bit of guidance.

I am planning to apply for a family visit visa for my mother-in-law in China to come to the UK for a 6 month visit.

As I (the son-in-law) will be sponsoring the visit, will there be any problems for the application if it is me rather than my wife (or the both of us on a joint invitation basis) who is acting as the invitor? What I mean is will it appear unusual/unorthadox to the ECO for a son-in-law, rather than the daughter, to be making the invitation or does it not make a difference in the grand scheme of things? Will it work against us on the application is what I would like to know?

I have drafted an invitation letter with myself stated as the invitor, whilst also mentioning within my wife's desire for her mother to visit? Will this be acceptable?

Alternatively, should I structure the letter so that it will be my wife and I making a joint invitation, but with myself as the sole sponsor? Is this feasible, and if so, I assume my wife would have to provide a copy of her UK passport info bio data?

Or would it be better for my wife to invite her mother on the letter, but just with me as the sponsor?

Ok, I think I may be over complicating things now), but would be extremely appreciative if someone can advise on the best way to structure the wording on the letter. All this stuff has suddenly come into my head! :shock: Thank you. Thank you!

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

scousedennis, I've just posted off a DHL package of documents and photocopies of the same for my Chinese MIL, FIL and niece to apply for family visas.

There is a template for the invitation letter and sponsor declaration in these threads - look in the stickies for Visitor Visa Invitation Letter and Sponsorship Declaration.

For our part, my wife and I have applied as joint sponsors. I've no idea if this is a better idea than having a sole sponsor or not, but as we are applying for 5 year visas for the in-laws (just 6 months for niece) we wanted to demonstrate a clear financial viability for the full term.

My instincts are that the letter is not actually as important as the evidence that backs it up - ie. immigration and employment status and financial position of the sponsor and evidence that the applicant is likely to return home after the visit.

scousedennis79
Newly Registered

Post by scousedennis79 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 am

Thanks stmellon. :)

I have a few other questiions regarding the VAF1B form.

It asks for travel dates (departing and return), but I can't have confirmed dates until the visa is approved, so I assume they just want estimated dates?

What is the significance of question 8.9:

When and where did you last see this relative (i.e. me)?

Will it go against me if I have recently been over to China? As I would just like her to come over here for a holiday and spend some time with us here, and she will definitely go back as she has her husband and house there. I assume they would be able to find out my recent travel history processing the application, so I am not going to give a false date, but a bit worried at the same time.

Thanks again.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 01, 2010 11:49 pm

scousedennis79 wrote:Thanks stmellon. :)

I have a few other questiions regarding the VAF1B form.

It asks for travel dates (departing and return), but I can't have confirmed dates until the visa is approved, so I assume they just want estimated dates?

Just put down "As soon as visa is issued"

What is the significance of question 8.9:

When and where did you last see this relative (i.e. me)?

Will it go against me if I have recently been over to China? As I would just like her to come over here for a holiday and spend some time with us here, and she will definitely go back as she has her husband and house there. I assume they would be able to find out my recent travel history processing the application, so I am not going to give a false date, but a bit worried at the same time.

Its on this question that the ECO will make his decisons. It does not help if you have seen the ones that you are inviting to the UK in the last few months, as teh ECO feels there is no need for the visitor to make a visit to see you so soon after your last meeting. On the other hand if the visit is to attend a wedding,visiting some sick or any other urgent matter, then visas are issued

Thanks again.

scousedennis79
Newly Registered

Post by scousedennis79 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 am

This is what I fear. Thanks for the reply.