ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Additional person added to Tenancy Agreement (AST)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssetho
Newly Registered

Additional person added to Tenancy Agreement (AST)

Post by ssetho » Sat May 01, 2010 3:01 am

My wife will be applying for her UK Spouse Visa next month in China and I have just signed a tenancy agreement (AST) with an estate agent for a studio flat. I have asked him, for immigration purposes, to provide me a letter stating that one additional person will be allow to stay at the flat (ie. my wife when she comes over) with me but he told me the correct way to do it is a letter stating that the property is suitable for a couple. He also said it's not possible to put her name in the tenancy contract because she is not in the country yet. Below is the exact letter given to me by the estate agent:

To Whom It May Concern

RE: LIVING CONDITIONS AT (FLAT ADDRESS)

This is to certify that the above property is suitable living quarters for a couple to reside in. We are the managing agents of the property and have had couples living at this address on numerous occasions. Mr (my name) was looking for an apartment that is suitable for a couple and this property fits the criteria.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below. Thanks.

Regards,
(Agent signature)

Has anyone done this before? Any comments regarding whether the above letter is sufficient for UK Spouse Visa application purposes will be greatly appreciated. Somehow, it seems to me the letter is only stating the flat is suitable for a couple and not my wife is allowed to stay in it - maybe I have interpreted it wrongly. By the way, the estate agent also said if the Immigration Office communicates with them, they will charge £300 to reply to them because it costs them to register with the Immigration Services. I have never heard of this one before!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat May 01, 2010 8:03 am

What does the tenancy agreement say? That is, does it limit who can live there? Clearly the person who has signed the tenancy agreement, you, but what about other people? Does it say about other people only with the permission of landlord or agent?
John

ssetho
Newly Registered

Post by ssetho » Sat May 01, 2010 10:47 am

The tenancy contract states that no other persons other than the persons named in the contract can occupy or reside in the flat unless been approved in writing by the landlord. I was told by the estate agent I can't include her name in the contract because she is not in the country yet and the letter should be sufficient for Immigration purposes. However, it seems to me the letter did not state that an additional person (ie my wife when she comes to the UK) will be allowed to reside in the flat. That is why I am totally confused!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 pm

However, it seems to me the letter did not state that an additional person (ie my wife when she comes to the UK) will be allowed to reside in the flat.
Exactly! The letter needs to be amended to correct that omission.
John

ssetho
Newly Registered

Post by ssetho » Sat May 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks. OK, I will ask the estate agent again to amend the letter. I think he's trying to corner me into paying him 300 pounds for a proper one.