ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help, my mother is sick

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ashklive
Newly Registered

Please help, my mother is sick

Post by ashklive » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Hello,
I am a British citizen and my widow mother who is 66 years old lives in India. I have two elder sister living in India and both of them are married. My mother has recently been diagnosed with Cancer. i took off from my work and came to India to take care of her. I want to take her to UK with me so that i can take care of her there.
What is the best way to apply for her ILR ?

1)should i take her to UK on visitor visa ( she already has 5 year visitor visa) and then apply for her ILR there or should i apply for her ILR in India ?

2) should i apply for ILR on health ground or on financial ground ?

Please help , i am very stressed becuase of her condition.

thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 pm

You do realise if successful, and the chances are slim with siblings back home, you will have to pay for the medical treatment, ie no NHS?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ashklive
Newly Registered

Post by ashklive » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 am

Hello Wanderer,
Thank you for your reply.
Why do you think NHS will not be accessible to her ? I understand that i will have to give an undertaking that she will not apply for any benefits but NHS does not come under the list of public benefits . NHS is supposed to be accessible to all permanent residents in UK. Please clarify.

thanks,

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 am

ashklive wrote:Hello Wanderer,
Thank you for your reply.
Why do you think NHS will not be accessible to her ? I understand that i will have to give an undertaking that she will not apply for any benefits but NHS does not come under the list of public benefits . NHS is supposed to be accessible to all permanent residents in UK. Please clarify.

thanks,
Your mother is not a permamant UK resident.

She comes here as a visitor. She has a multiple visitor visa.

Such people are no entitled to any benefits or medical treatment on NHS because they have not paid for it.Any medical treatment that your mum has to have will have to be paid for and take it from me it is very very expensive. She could recieve the same treatment at a fraction of the cost back home in India.

ashklive
Newly Registered

Post by ashklive » Sat May 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Thank you for the reply. I understand that on visitor visa she will not be able to get NHS treatment.
I am considering of applying for 'indefinite leave to remain' for her at British Highcommission in India. If she gets ILR then I will be able to take care of her in UK and she will also be eligible for NHS in the UK.
I want to know whether i should mention about her sickness while applying for her ILR as dependent parent.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:01 pm

You'll need to prove you are supporting her financially (completely!) and that she has no one else in India who can take care of her.

It'll be a hard sell given your two sisters.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Another point to keep in mind is that, should the Indefinite Leave application fail, she may have problems attaining another visitor visa, when the current 5 year one expires.
I think you need to weigh the odds very carefully, before you embark on this one. You just might be jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire!
Good luck, anyways.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Well said Rozen. I dont think OP realizes how hard it is to get ILR for ones parents :roll:

ashklive
Newly Registered

Post by ashklive » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 am

Thank you all for the replies.
I will have to consult an attorney for this. Can someone please refer a good one ?