ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to go back to my home country to apply for FLR(M)?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eva82me

Do I need to go back to my home country to apply for FLR(M)?

Post by eva82me » Tue May 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the FLR (M) application. I hope anybody who has the relevant experience can give me some advices.

I am a dependant of my husband. I am currently holding a work permit dependant visa which valid until the end of 2012.

My husband has applied for his 10 years long residence ILR last month. Since it's not allowed to have any dependant in that category, I didn't apply with him. We are currently waiting for the outcome of his ILR application.

I have some questions about my status:

(1) I assume that when my husband receives his ILR visa, I will not be a work permit dependant anymore.

- How long do I need to wait to submit my FLR (M) application? I was advised to do it ASAP but I was wondering how soon would it be? (In less than 3 months or something, is there a time limit?)

(2) DO I need to go back to my home country to apply for the FLR (M)?

- Some solicitors advised me that I should apply for the FLR (M) form my home country since it requires an entry clearance. However, I noticed that on the UKBA website it says that 'You must be in the UK to apply'.

I was quite confused now. Can anybody advise?
Thank you!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 pm

1. ASAP is correct.
[url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/applicationtypes/]How to apply for settlement in the UK[/url] > Completing application form SET(O) wrote:However, if you are applying on the basis of long residence, you may not include any dependants in your application. They may apply separately if they have completed the qualifying period of 10 or 14 years. If you have a partner who does not qualify, they may apply for temporary permission to stay in the UK using application form FLR(M) - if they do this, they can include any children under 18 as their dependants. For other options, see the detailed Guide SET(O).
2. You have a work permit dependant entry clearance. Switch within the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.