ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Legalisation of Indian Marriage Certificate

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukresident09
Newly Registered

Legalisation of Indian Marriage Certificate

Post by ukresident09 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:13 pm

I am a British citizen following naturalisation. My wife holds Indian Passport with ILR (settlement). We would like to make a trip to italy/france. For shengen visa, I understand I just need to give our marriage certificate along with our passports.

Our marriage certificate was issued in India and it is in english. They need to be legalised. Has anybody done this before. Indian Embassy website says - all we need are our indian passports (which I have not yet returned still!!) and our original marriage sertificate. Unfortunately it also says that it needs to be attested by Ministery of External Affairs Section in NewDelhi. Has anybody got suggestion on this. Can someone guide me on this.

Thanks

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 am

My husband and I got married aboard and for the purposes of a shengen visa, you need to get an apostille stamp. If you are in the UK, I did this by going to the Embassy for the country I was married in. This may not necessarily be the country either you ro your spouse hold citizenship for as was the case with me.

There was a charge as your original marriage certificate will be sent back to the Ministry that looks after marriages in that country and attach an apostille stamp to it.

Hope this helps.