ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to stop my employer from cancelling my work permit?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

immigrationboards09
Newly Registered

How to stop my employer from cancelling my work permit?

Post by immigrationboards09 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Hello,

I've been working for a multi-national for the last 19 months. They got me work permit in November 2008 and have sent me to a couple of countries for 4 and 5 months project rotations; during this period I've been paid in UK.

The company now plans to send me America and they are offering me a local contract there. If I take that position I will be paid in US not in UK and no taxes or NI will be paid in UK. I still intend to work in UK in future and want to preserve what I've achieved in UK in terms of permanent residence (number of years already spent in UK which will be counted towards ILR etc..).

Under the normal circumstances the company will cancel my work permit when they shift me to US, I want to persuade them to keep my work permit alive so my question is:

What options are availabe to keep my work permit alive and how can we go about doing it?

Will I be able to get ILR after 5 years? if not I believe an extension of work permit will be dealt under the original work permit laws which were enforced when I lodged my first work permit application in 2008?

As I will be paid in US, does finding part time work with the UK office and paying some taxes & NI for this sake will help? Can I take up part time work for this sake? What's the minimum recommended number of hours (if any)?

I need to find a legitimate way to keep it alive, please advise about the possibilities.

Many thanks.

thillaga
Newly Registered

Post by thillaga » Fri May 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Hope you could share you findings with me. I am in the similar situation too.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Re: How to stop my employer from cancelling my work permit?

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 10, 2010 6:07 pm

immigrationboards09 wrote:Hello,

I've been working for a multi-national for the last 19 months. They got me work permit in November 2008 and have sent me to a couple of countries for 4 and 5 months project rotations; during this period I've been paid in UK.

The company now plans to send me America and they are offering me a local contract there. If I take that position I will be paid in US not in UK and no taxes or NI will be paid in UK. I still intend to work in UK in future and want to preserve what I've achieved in UK in terms of permanent residence (number of years already spent in UK which will be counted towards ILR etc..).

Under the normal circumstances the company will cancel my work permit when they shift me to US, I want to persuade them to keep my work permit alive so my question is:

What options are availabe to keep my work permit alive and how can we go about doing it? In your situation, there are no options available.

Will I be able to get ILR after 5 years? if not I believe an extension of work permit will be dealt under the original work permit laws which were enforced when I lodged my first work permit application in 2008?
You wont be able to apply for ILR after 5 years. Work permits are non-extendable. You will have to apply under new tier 2 and fulfill requirements of tier 2.

As I will be paid in US, does finding part time work with the UK office and paying some taxes & NI for this sake will help? Can I take up part time work for this sake? What's the minimum recommended number of hours (if any)? Part time work wont fulfill requirements, plus you wont be in UK anyway so how could you even work part time. (unless you are very rich and can fly back to uk every weekend)

I need to find a legitimate way to keep it alive, please advise about the possibilities. There is no such way available to you.

Many thanks.