ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

severance pay

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

travelerzee

severance pay

Post by travelerzee » Sat May 08, 2010 5:45 am

Hi,

My company paid me a severance pay at the end of my first year. this is in my contract and i pay tax on it.
however, I was given a separate pay slip for this, where the severance is not included in my regular pay, but in 'other (severance pay)'. it does not explicitly show the tax deduction, only the final amount which does not include tax.

how do I explain this and can i include this in my previous earnings calculation?

thanks.

travelerzee

Post by travelerzee » Sun May 09, 2010 3:20 pm

anyone?

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun May 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Instead of going with payslips the best way would be to get a letter from your employer with the list of all your earnings including any bonuses you received during the period. Make sure the letter has all the deductions too
hope this help
Goodluck.

travelerzee

Post by travelerzee » Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 am

thanks for the reply.

Thats what I thought. But doesnt the HO call the employer to confirm the salary? i'm worried that if they call and find out its a severance pay, then my application may be denied.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon May 10, 2010 4:13 am

travelerzee wrote:thanks for the reply.

Thats what I thought. But doesnt the HO call the employer to confirm the salary? i'm worried that if they call and find out its a severance pay, then my application may be denied.
I think HO consider all taxable income so if you paid tax on your severance pay you should be ok to claim it, though please confirm with others
Goodluck.

travelerzee

Post by travelerzee » Wed May 12, 2010 6:08 am

can anyone give me a link for where it says that any taxable income is included? The immigration consultant i'm using doesn't seem to believe when I say that I can include my severance pay in my previous income because i get taxed on it.

please help!

Raji_karmlaw

Post by Raji_karmlaw » Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

Hi,
So far as it is salaried income, and u have earned it, u can use it it calculate ur earnings.
Immigration law is mystery and a mastery in obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure that out are worth their weight in gold.

sdr
Newly Registered

Post by sdr » Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 pm

I would be interested in this too.
The UKBA site mentions statutory redundancy payment is not included as income, but what about taxable severance pay that is part of a contract between employees and employers.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Whether statutory redundancy payment is taxable (or not) depends on your total earnings in that financial year.

Just because you had to pay tax on statutory redundancy payment doesn't mean that you can include it in your earnings (if it is not allowed as per policy guidance).

regards

sdr
Newly Registered

Post by sdr » Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Whether statutory redundancy payment is taxable (or not) depends on your total earnings in that financial year.

Just because you had to pay tax on statutory redundancy payment doesn't mean that you can include it in your earnings (if it is not allowed as per policy guidance).

regards
By statutory do you mean required by law under a statute? If you pay tax on it I think depends on the tax laws of what country you come from. So if it part of a contractual agreement is that still considered statutory?