ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entered UK on 10 Jun 05 on WP. When to apply ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SAL1313

Entered UK on 10 Jun 05 on WP. When to apply ILR?

Post by SAL1313 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Dear all,

My UK work permit visa was issued on 25 May 2005 but I only entered the UK on 10th Jun 2005 on Work Permit.

Now my first question is when do I qualifY for ILR?

I hear that you need to complete 5 years on WP but I also hear that you can apply 28 days in advance??

Please note that I intend to apply in person at premium service!!

Secondly, I called the UKBA number to clarify the same and she told me that I will qualify 28 days bfor If I pass the test. I then asked them to cjeck availablity to book my appointment for premium service and she didnt even check as she said she would not consider giving us appointment as we did not pass the test yet and so didnt qualify...

I wanted to atleast book an appointment so my question is how would they know if I have passed the test or not? Can I just call back saying, we passed the test and get an appointment?????

Please clarify...Help appreciated!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm

You complete 5 years on 10 June 2010.

regards

SAL1313

Post by SAL1313 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks, I know I complete 5 years on 10 Jun but my question is when can I apply for ILR??

As per SET(O) GUIDELINES

"There is a qualifying period to complete in most of the categories
on this form. It runs either from
- the date on which you entered the UK with a visa in the relevant category; or, if you did not enter the UK with such a visa.

Please do not apply more than 28 days before completing the qualifying period. If you apply earlier than that, your application
may be refused. If that happens, we will not refund the fee and you will have to pay again when reapplying."

The above means that 5 years are complete on 10 Jun but I can apply 28 days before, IF i interpret it correctly????

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Yes, calculating 28 days before 10Jun10 shouldn't be difficult.

regards

SAL1313

Post by SAL1313 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:31 pm

ya, well it isnt and that isnt my issue really!!

Please go thourgh the question as I have 2 queries?????

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 10, 2010 2:21 pm

You can take/pass the test even one day before you apply (by post or in person). No reason why UKBA refuses to schedule an appointment. Give them the date you've booked your exam and ask for an appointment on any convenient date after the exam date.

If you fail (the test), you can always cancel the PEO appointment.

regards

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 10, 2010 6:30 pm

I need to make a cup of tea and I do not have tea bags.

Can I put the kettle on and then quickly run to get the tea bags?
or
Do I need to get the tea bags first before putting the kettle on?

What will happen if if there are no tea bags in the shop? Am i then allowed to run back and switch off the kettle?

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: Entered UK on 10 Jun 05 on WP. When to apply ILR?

Post by f2k » Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

SAL1313 wrote:Dear all,

My UK work permit visa was issued on 25 May 2005 but I only entered the UK on 10th Jun 2005 on Work Permit.

Now my first question is when do I qualifY for ILR?

I hear that you need to complete 5 years on WP but I also hear that you can apply 28 days in advance??

Please note that I intend to apply in person at premium service!!

Secondly, I called the UKBA number to clarify the same and she told me that I will qualify 28 days bfor If I pass the test. I then asked them to cjeck availablity to book my appointment for premium service and she didnt even check as she said she would not consider giving us appointment as we did not pass the test yet and so didnt qualify...

I wanted to atleast book an appointment so my question is how would they know if I have passed the test or not? Can I just call back saying, we passed the test and get an appointment?????

Please clarify...Help appreciated!!
Are you aware also that you can BOOK ONLINE. Click on the link and go through the registration process and try to see for yourself the availabity of appointments. From my personal experience and information from this and other sites, appointment slots are most of the times difficult to get. So depending on when your current Visa expires, you may very well be running out of time to go for a personal appointment. So you may want to look at posting your application or using an agent, but first and most important you need to PASS the test

BeHonest

Post by BeHonest » Wed May 12, 2010 11:02 am

I had been refused to give a PEO appointment over phone when I made the call exactly on a date that they would release appointments for a date I wanted with same reason. It was not mentioned anywhere on the website afaik even to book a premium appointment u need to pass the test.

12 May would be yr earliest date, if you fulfil continuous stay of 5 yrs from yr date of entering.

You will get online appointment for 20th June appointments only today.

All the Best!

BeHonest

Post by BeHonest » Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 am

mrlookforward wrote:I need to make a cup of tea and I do not have tea bags.

Can I put the kettle on and then quickly run to get the tea bags?
or
Do I need to get the tea bags first before putting the kettle on?

What will happen if if there are no tea bags in the shop? Am i then allowed to run back and switch off the kettle?
How come it is allowedto book an appointment online but not over phone?

UKBA is EXPECTED to publish this on their website. They should not expect us to get this info either from forum or from someone else.

As usual we have been taken for granted.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am

I dont how you got the idea that appointments over the phone are not allowed. People regularly get appointments over the phone.

BeHonest

Post by BeHonest » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 am

If you try to book a family appointment ILR SET(O), ,if you did not pass the test when you request for an appointment over phone, they refuse to give an appointment. It had happened to me. It had happened to OP. I am not sure about others(lucky fellows IMO) who could succesfully get one family appointment for ILR under SET(O).

So when OP said that he was refused I wasn't surprised to hear the reason stated for refusal.
Last edited by BeHonest on Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeHonest

Post by BeHonest » Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 pm

mrlookforward wrote:I dont how you got the idea that appointments over the phone are not allowed. People regularly get appointments over the phone.
Have I ever told the appointments over phone are not allowed?

OP's msg..

I responded to yr comments related to OP's msg.

I fail to see any humour in your response. As long as you are not affected by such refusals you may never know the pain.

They MUST MAKE it clear on their website instead of refusing at the last minute.

I expect them to say something like Requirements for phone booking either
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... t/#header2
or in any related page.

For ILR SET (O) family appointment you need to pass the test even to BOOK an APPOINTMENT.

Or they can even add something like this "Our customer care people have the right to refuse to give an appointment if you do not pass the test when you give us a call. It ALL depends upon who handles the call and their MERCY towards you"