ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Information on Work Permit Cancellation Please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

liljack
Newly Registered

Need Information on Work Permit Cancellation Please

Post by liljack » Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am

Hi.
I am on a work permit (under the old rules) and was wondering if anyone can help. I am finishing work on the 14th of June and believe you have 28 days to leave the UK without being seen as overstaying.
At the moment we are applying for a defacto visa for my other half to come to Australia with me and our son. My partner is a UK citizen. I am planning on leaving the UK in July for a weekend and coming back on a tourist visa and my partner is going to support us. But depending on how long his Australian visa takes we also need to leave the country in October and come back again on a tourist visa. I know you can get a tourist visa valid for 6 months here in the UK.
Has anyone done anything like this before? I am just wondering if when we come back in October that they will let me in again on a tourist visa, or if even in July they will let me come back in on a tourist visa.

Any information at all will be greatly appreciated.
Lisa

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Sorry, but what's the question you need an answer to?

regards

liljack
Newly Registered

Post by liljack » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Has anyone done anything like this before after being on a work permit?? I am just wondering if when we come back in October that they will let me in again on a tourist visa, or if even in July they will let me come back in on a tourist visa. Im not sure if they will think im coming back to work, which I am not, just staying here until my partners visa gets approved then we are heading back to OZ. So won't be here for more than 6 months.

Does that answer what im trying to ask :-)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Once you return to OZ after ending your work contract, you may apply for tourist visa anytime you want and once issued, you may travel to UK anytime during the validity of that visa. No problem!

If, by chance, there're any questions by Immigration Officer at landing airport in the UK when entering as tourist, answer them honestly.

regards

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm

You can't overstay the stamp in your passport. Not by 28 days.

If you've just come off a work permit you won't really look like a visitor will you?
You'll be lucky to get back in once as a visitor - if you do manage I wouldn't push it by trying your luck again. You get up to 6 months but as soon as you leave the UK/common travel area, that leave lapses. You get re-assessed when you try to enter again.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm

liljack wrote:Does that answer what im trying to ask :-)
Yes it does now. The query has nothing to do with the stated subject line "work permit cancellation". There's no cancellation if you will be exiting UK at the end of your sponsored employment / visa .... but that is not clear from your posts.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 12, 2010 1:11 pm

The Station Agent wrote:If you've just come off a work permit you won't really look like a visitor will you?
Are you suggesting that, having returned from UK as WP holder, one cannot apply for visit visa for a stipulated time period and, therefore, cannot travel to UK as a visitor?

regards

liljack
Newly Registered

Post by liljack » Wed May 12, 2010 1:11 pm

well it does have to do with the subject as i am only leaving the UK because i am not working anymore which means my work permit/visa will be cancelled!!!!!! (thanx for your input which was really helpful!!!!)

station agent thanx for your advice. the reason i am going back in October is for a wedding in Aust. I think I will have to consider my options now. Ill try calling the embassy to see what they say. But yes I understand if I only leave for a weekend and then come back then I wont really look like a visitor, but thats definatly all I will be doing. thanx again for your help

liljack
Newly Registered

Post by liljack » Wed May 12, 2010 1:21 pm

i think station agent was just trying to say it might look abit dodgy going for a weekend and coming back as a tourist/visitor visa so soon after coming off a work permit.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

You won't be issued a visitor visa if UKBA feels that way (that your intentons are not genuine)! :wink:

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

regards

liljack
Newly Registered

Post by liljack » Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm

thanx, ill just have to make sur ei have all the proof to show them that i wont be staying permanently and wont be working etc.