ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation after 14 Rule

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Elias222
Newly Registered

Naturalisation after 14 Rule

Post by Elias222 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:05 pm

I was granted ILR in Feb 2009 through the 14year Long Residence Rule after applying in January 2005. I was pretty much illegal during most of this period.

When collecting my passport from the solicitor, I asked the question as to how long it would take before I could apply for naturalisation and he said 12 months. This contradicts what is on the UKBA website with regards to breach of immigration rules with the last 5 years.

My question is do I have to wait for another 4 years or can I apply now? I have searched the boards but I can seem to find a clear Yes or No answer. Is there anyone out there that was in a similar situation with an answer? It will be truly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 pm

I have done a lot of research and there is no clear answer. Some solicitors hold the position that there should be clear 5 years legal residence, but then I know of people who have been granted BC after getting ILR outside immigration rules, and before ILR they were totally illegal. UKBA do have discretion to disregard previous illegal residence, but no one can surely say that they are routinely exercising this discretion at the moment. But I have to stress that I know of cases where BC has been granted within weeks to applicants who were totally illegal before getting ILR.

krimith

Re: Naturalisation after 14 Rule

Post by krimith » Thu May 13, 2010 10:12 am

Elias222 wrote:I was granted ILR in Feb 2009 through the 14year Long Residence Rule after applying in January 2005. I was pretty much illegal during most of this period.

When collecting my passport from the solicitor, I asked the question as to how long it would take before I could apply for naturalisation and he said 12 months. This contradicts what is on the UKBA website with regards to breach of immigration rules with the last 5 years.

My question is do I have to wait for another 4 years or can I apply now? I have searched the boards but I can seem to find a clear Yes or No answer. Is there anyone out there that was in a similar situation with an answer? It will be truly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

this is just discrention from homeoffice my friend got legacy case ilr same my solicitor told him u can apply now if not approval so u just waste your fee but if approval so u get bc depend on luck and homeoffice discention

Elias222
Newly Registered

Post by Elias222 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:55 am

krimith wrote:
Elias222 wrote:I was granted ILR in Feb 2009 through the 14year Long Residence Rule after applying in January 2005. I was pretty much illegal during most of this period.

Many thanks in advance.

this is just discrention from homeoffice my friend got legacy case ilr same my solicitor told him u can apply now if not approval so u just waste your fee but if approval so u get bc depend on luck and homeoffice discention
Many thanks for the info krimith.

krimith

Post by krimith » Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 am

Elias222 wrote:
krimith wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

Many thanks for the info krimith.
Elias222, I just want to ask you applied application in jan 2005 and then you get ilr in 2009 but in 2005 and 2009 between no reply from homeoffice?