ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credit claim while still living abroad

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Megan55
Newly Registered

Tax Credit claim while still living abroad

Post by Megan55 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:59 am

I have just phoned the tax credits office to inform them that I married my husband in March. As he lives in Egypt, 2000miles away, I was expecting that it would not make a difference to my claim, but I had been told that due to my marriage we must both make a joint claim. I have even checked this with the hm revenue and customs website and it states:

If your partner is outside the UK
If your partner lives outside the UK you should normally make a single claim. But you will need to make a joint claim if either of the following applies:

•Your partner is only abroad for less than eight weeks, for example if they're just on holiday or away on a short business trip. If they go abroad for eight weeks or more you should let the Tax Credit Office know by calling the Tax Credit Helpline. They will help you make a single claim over the phone.
•Your partner lives or works in a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

But the woman I spoke to was quite adamant that it must be a joint claim and will go to the complex cases centre. It seems quite crazy though, the amount of married people I know in England making claims because they are "separated" for years but never actually divorce, and still have a relationship.

I don't want to claim what I am not entitled to, but it does seem quite crazy that my husband who's never stepped foot in England has to be included in a joint claim.

Does anyone else have any experience of this or know what I can expect???

Thanks

Megan55
Newly Registered

Post by Megan55 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:14 am

Please, can someone help please please please please please

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 am

Yes you have to claim for both - makes no difference to the level of benefits but might reduce them if they count ur husbands earnings!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Megan55, the HMRC website is correct, and their helpline was, well, unhelpful.
John