ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone from IIT Roorkee?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hema177
Newly Registered

Anyone from IIT Roorkee?

Post by hema177 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi,

Is there anyone in this forum who's done his/her Master's/Bachelor's from IIT-Roorkee? Have you received your approval?

Thanks,

Hema

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Sat May 15, 2010 5:02 pm

How does this matter? You need to check PBS calculator, if you university is listed there then you don't need any other endorsement. Roorkee being one of the oldest and famous univ, should be there on PBS calculator.

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Yes

Post by sekhar0520 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:53 pm

hi

I did M.Tech from IITR. Calculator shows the institute name. You need not worry. I am applying in the first week of June.

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:14 am

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. My worry is that its listed under two different states - Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand both. The one listed under Uttar Pradesh awards points for English Language, but the one listed under Uttarakhand does not.

:(

This is so confusing. Which should I go for? I am applying in first week of August.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Hema

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Post by sekhar0520 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 am

Yes....this is so confusing. The calculator is awarding points for English language when the state is Uttar Pradesh.

Gurus, plz let us know whom we have to request to update this information.

I think you did B.Tech from IITR. Selecting UP as the state should not cause a problem as long as there is only one IITR. In the cover letter we can explain this information

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks for your reply Sekhar.

I've done my MBA from IIT Roorkee.

This morning I've sent an email to VFS ('Infouk.northin@vfshelpline.com') asking them to clarify this. I'll wait for their response.

I agree that selecting UP should not matter as there is only 1 IIT Roorkee, but it has two campuses, one in Roorkee Uttarakhand and the other in Saharanpur , UP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ins ... gy_Roorkee

The most confusing thing is , any other Master's degree from IIT Roorkee is awarded points for English, notwithstanding whether its UP or Uttarakhand.

This is a discrepancy that must be brought to their notice. It'll just cause an unnecessary delay for me if I have to give TOEFL because of this!!

Thanks,

Hema[/img]

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Post by sekhar0520 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:18 am

Points calculator is not awarding points for English language requirement when I have selected CS/IT as the branch studied. However I have given little importance to this as my Bachelor's degree was awarded points.

If you have done MBA, I think you can claim points for your Bachelor's degree. I hope you already checked this case.

I am doubtful about the response from VFS helpline as this is a problem with the NARIC database. Points calculator directly uses the database to award the points.

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Sekhar,

Thanks for that. I did already check if my Bachelor's was awarded points. I have Bachelor of Arts from University of Delhi. Although this is present in the PBS, it is not awarded points for English. Both ways, I am stumped.

I have already contacted NARIC and they have asked me to contact UK Border Agency. The UK BA website says I have to contact my local agency which is VFS. I'll just wait and see if there's a response from VFS. Otherwise, I'll directly contact UKBA.

Why does this always happen to me???

Regards,

Hema

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:55 pm

I found the solution!!!!

There's nothing in the guidance notes but the Application Form says:

"6.6 Put a cross (x) in the relevant box to confirm how you verified your degree was taught in English

The points-based calculator shows the degree was taught
in English; Go to Question 6.9

The points-based calculator does not show the qualification
is equivalent to a United Kingdom degree but a UK NARIC
letter and/or certificate is enclosed; Go to Question 6.7

The points-based calculator shows the qualification is
equivalent to a United Kingdom degree but does not show
the qualification was taught in English; Go to Question 6.7

6.8 Put a cross (x) in the relevant box to indicate what evidence has been supplied
Original degree certificate; Original academic transcript.

6.7 Put a cross (X) in the box to confirm you have included a letter from your university confirming that the degree was >>>
taught in English.

Balle Balle!! :D Now all I have to do is get a letter from IIT and that's it! Does anyone have a template that I could refer to? I'd be really grateful.

Anyone else facing the same problem - I hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Hema

bagula_bhagat
BANNED

Post by bagula_bhagat » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 am

Hello Hema,

I am also stuck because of english language requirement points. I am already in UK and want to apply for Tier-1 (G) but PBS Calculator is not awarding points for english language requirement to my Bachelor's Degree. I did my graduation from Delhi University.

Now as per the new guidelines for Tier-1 (G), if PBS Calculator does not award points to your academic qualification then you cannot claim points for it.

Though I can ask my college to issue a letter confirming my studies/exam were held in english medium. However, I am confused becuase of PBS Calculator not awarding points and new guidelines.

Have you checked with VFS/British Embassy or Home Office if providing a letter from college/university is sufficient to claim points?

Also please make sure that you have taken the correct form and guidelines. As the new Tier-1 (G) form available on the home office website only has following:

U3. If the applicant has been awarded an approved English language test they can claim 10 points. Please provide details below of the test taken and tick to indicate that the original test certificate has been provided:

Degree taught in English
U4.
Applicants can claim 10 points for English language where:
They hold a degree that was taught in English that is deemed by UK NARIC to be equivalent • to at least a United Kingdom Bachelors degree; and
Their qualification can be found on the points based calculator.

U5. Tick to confirm that the applicant’s qualification can be found on the points based calculator

U6. Select what supporting evidence has been sent to confirm the applicant’s degree:

U7. Tick to confirm that the applicant has claimed 10 points for English language:

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi,

I have sent an email to VFS regarding this and am awaiting their response.

You must be looking at the form that you'd need to fill if you are already in the UK.

I am in India and I am looking at the Appendix 1 which I accessed from this link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... 1/general/

"Go to our visa services website if you are applying from outside the UK. There you can find out more about the process in the country you are applying from, and download the application forms."

Follow the link to the visa services website and you come to:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/

I opened the Points Based System Tier 1, (General) Migrant (INF 21) form and its there in Point 6.5 - 6.7.

Please let me know which form you are looking at.

Is this the wrong form - then i am back to square 1 :(

bagula_bhagat
BANNED

Post by bagula_bhagat » Mon May 17, 2010 1:10 pm

I am on the following webpage and form link is on the right hand side

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... linsideuk/

Tier 1 (General) application form - for applications made on or after 6 April 2010

As I know it was earlier possible to claim points for engilsh language by obtaining a letter from your college/uni but with new guidelines they would only award points if PBS Calculator awards the point otherwise you need to have another qualification or clear an IELTS/TOEFL or other similar exam.

Let me know what VFS replies to you. In any case I have started looking at the options of clearing IELTS next month.

manupriyam
Newly Registered

Post by manupriyam » Sat May 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi,

I have the BE from Roorkee and got the Tier 1. Whats ur question?

Regards

hema177
Newly Registered

Post by hema177 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 am

Hi Manupriyam,

Thanks for the reply. How did you get points for the English language requirement?

Regards,

Hema