ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 holder. Work in UK BUT salary/emplyer in EU

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

secsmed
Newly Registered

Tier 1 holder. Work in UK BUT salary/emplyer in EU

Post by secsmed » Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Dear All,

I am holding Tier 1 General visa. Recently I started a new job. My employer is a university in an EU country but my place of work (and living) is UK. I receive my salary in Euros every month. I do not pay tax in the employer’s country and I need to pay my full tax in the UK.

I am collecting my bank statements as an evidence of my income. But I do not receive official payslips. I am thinking of when I apply to renew my visa; I do not know what document I should provide as the second evidence of income. Could you please advice on this?
Also I am not sure if I need to register as self employed in order to pay my UK tax or there is another way? (I am seconded from an EU university to a UK University but the UK one has no responsibility or employer-emploee relationship with me).

Also if I must register as self employed, do I need to get an accountant or managing agent to sort out my taxes and provide me with the additional evidence? I have no experience and knowledge about getting an accountant, how can I find one and how much do they cost normally for personal cases like me? (I live in a big city, in case there are big chain companies that I can approach).

After all is it at all accepted for the purpose of Tier 1 extension, that my salary is coming from an EU country and I am working for them in the UK. (I saw in the UKBA guidance notes that they accept if the salary is from UK and the person must work outside UK most of the time but I am the reverse case!).

I am really puzzled with these questions and I would really appreciate your help and answer to my questions especially from senior members. Even if you could tell me where I can get further clarifications that would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 1 holder. Work in UK BUT salary/emplyer in EU

Post by mvent00 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 pm

If you do not recieve payslips, you can get a letter from your employer, in your case the university, about the amount they pay to you. This letter should mention the exact amount of claimed earnings as in your bank statements, and that's it.
secsmed wrote:Dear All,

I am holding Tier 1 General visa. Recently I started a new job. My employer is a university in an EU country but my place of work (and living) is UK. I receive my salary in Euros every month. I do not pay tax in the employer’s country and I need to pay my full tax in the UK.

I am collecting my bank statements as an evidence of my income. But I do not receive official payslips. I am thinking of when I apply to renew my visa; I do not know what document I should provide as the second evidence of income. Could you please advice on this?
Also I am not sure if I need to register as self employed in order to pay my UK tax or there is another way? (I am seconded from an EU university to a UK University but the UK one has no responsibility or employer-emploee relationship with me).

Also if I must register as self employed, do I need to get an accountant or managing agent to sort out my taxes and provide me with the additional evidence? I have no experience and knowledge about getting an accountant, how can I find one and how much do they cost normally for personal cases like me? (I live in a big city, in case there are big chain companies that I can approach).

After all is it at all accepted for the purpose of Tier 1 extension, that my salary is coming from an EU country and I am working for them in the UK. (I saw in the UKBA guidance notes that they accept if the salary is from UK and the person must work outside UK most of the time but I am the reverse case!).

I am really puzzled with these questions and I would really appreciate your help and answer to my questions especially from senior members. Even if you could tell me where I can get further clarifications that would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Many thanks for your replies so far. Could you please be more specific? I think I might be able to get a letter from the EU university confirming that they paid me the exact salaries. However what about my other questions?

((("""Also I am not sure if I need to register as self employed in order to pay my UK tax or there is another way? (I am seconded from an EU university to a UK University but the UK one has no responsibility or employer-emploee relationship with me).

After all is it at all accepted for the purpose of Tier 1 extension, that my salary is coming from an EU country and I am working for them in the UK. (I saw in the UKBA guidance notes that they accept if the salary is from UK and the person must work outside UK most of the time but I am the reverse case!). """)))

If my employer gives me a letter showing gross monthly salary payments what document do I need to attach to it to show that I paid full UK tax and NIC? OR IT IS NOT REQUIRED?

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Normally in EU, you pay tax in the country where you earn money. Besides, as far as Tier 1 application is concerned, tax matters are not directly related with visa extension process. I think you should keep it simple, and just provide previous earning proofs from two different sources, i.e., bank statement and letter from the university. You may need some extra time for your application processing, as HO may require to verify these documents from your country by their embassy. Anyway, as that is an EU country, so I hope it should be similar as it is in UK. Good luck!!
secsmed wrote:Many thanks for your replies so far. Could you please be more specific? I think I might be able to get a letter from the EU university confirming that they paid me the exact salaries. However what about my other questions?

((("""Also I am not sure if I need to register as self employed in order to pay my UK tax or there is another way? (I am seconded from an EU university to a UK University but the UK one has no responsibility or employer-emploee relationship with me).

After all is it at all accepted for the purpose of Tier 1 extension, that my salary is coming from an EU country and I am working for them in the UK. (I saw in the UKBA guidance notes that they accept if the salary is from UK and the person must work outside UK most of the time but I am the reverse case!). """)))

If my employer gives me a letter showing gross monthly salary payments what document do I need to attach to it to show that I paid full UK tax and NIC? OR IT IS NOT REQUIRED?

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Mon May 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks mvent00 for your valuable inputs. However, can anyone else share his/her toughts on these?