ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tourist visa for my girlfriend to accompany me to the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

Tourist visa for my girlfriend to accompany me to the UK

Post by Dawie » Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi guys

I'm a dual British/South African citizen currently living in Cape Town, South Africa. I live with my girlfriend of 18 months who is a South African citizen and I guess you could call us unmarried partners.

We are planning on visiting the UK in September of this year and I wanted to get some advice you from you guys on the likelihood of her tourist visa being approved.

She doesn't earn much money (probably about 600GBP per month) and is employed as an au pair. I will be paying for and sponsoring her entire trip. What I want to know is will the fact that she will be travelling with me, and that I am paying for the entire trip, make it easier to obtain a tourist visa?

What documents should I prepare for her visa application? She will of course be supplying a letter of employment, and her own bank statements (although she has little money of her own). I intend to give copies of my own bank statements (with substantial savings) and letter of employment from my own employers. Will this help?

Any other tips to make sure that she successfully obtains a tourist visa with me as her "sponsor"?

Thanks
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Evidence that she has a reason to return to South Africa and won't overstay her visa in the UK.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon May 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Casa wrote:Evidence that she has a reason to return to South Africa and won't overstay her visa in the UK.
Like what?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Employment, investment, estate, savings, family etc. etc.

regards

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon May 17, 2010 3:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Employment, investment, estate, savings, family etc. etc.

regards
Well, the only thing she can show is that she is employed. If she had savings, investments, etc then she wouldn't need me to sponsor her trip in the first place.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 17, 2010 4:13 pm

You asked for examples and I stated them. Use the ones that apply to your case.

This is one of the (common) criteria where, in absence of adequate evidence, applications for visit visas get refused.

regards

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 pm

sushdmehta wrote:You asked for examples and I stated them. Use the ones that apply to your case.

This is one of the (common) criteria where, in absence of adequate evidence, applications for visit visas get refused.

regards
I guess what I'm trying to get at is what influence will the following factors have in the granting of the visa:

1) We are an unmarried couple living together
2) I will be sponsoring her entire trip and we will be travelling together
3) I am a British citizen

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 pm

If anything - those might count against you. It might look like she wants a tourist visa to settle on.

Prove you're going to come back and it'll be ok.

vignette

Post by vignette » Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

It might help if you can show that you have a reason to leave the UK too - for example a job in South Africa?