ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK vs Canada

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gill_b_s
Newly Registered

UK vs Canada

Post by gill_b_s » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:02 am

Hi All,
planing to migrate, i'm in a bit of confusion
have two choices canada and UK.
can somebody provide me with the pros and cons on the following lines.
1. cost of living, living standard.
2. the job market (software / telecom)
3. processing time and PR time.
4. facial discrimination
5. others.

loking forward to ur responses.

cheers,
gill

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:25 am

Please read through postings on the old forum - this subject was covered extensively

Best of Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

simar

Post by simar » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:01 am

Hi gill bhaji,
As I could understand let me gave u my point of view on this issue
1 cost of living, living standard.

Ans: As per UN report Per person GDP per annum
canada : 28k USD
Uk : 25k USD
Plus canada has more open houses, wide road campare to UK. But note if one get good job then this standard statics mean nothing to a person.

2. the job market (software / telecom)

Ans: NO doubt UK is best option for IT market compare to canada
since lot of H1B people are already flooding canada due to thier non processing of green cards in US.
Also UK being part of EU u will have lot options after getting ILR status(4 years) . On the other hand T1 visa as canadaian citizen(4 years) is not that flexible to look for job in US.

3. processing time and PR time.

Ans: For Canada PR these days it takes more than 4 years. I have applied about 2 1/2 years back( CHC new delhi). Still no response despite scoring more than 7.5 marks in IELTS.

For UK I guess this hsmp takes not more than 6 months to process

4. facial discrimination

I guess this is one to one exprince feelings. I do belive canadians welcome more the new immigrats campare to UK. But a person once in good job can easily intergate in socity. That part in easy in UK than canada for IT/telecom persons. In both the countries fair amount of punjabis live.

5. others.

I personaly feel if one get settle in canada nothing like that. But thier is no point in waiting-waiting for 4+ years . After all we are not getting younger day by day.

jillsjack

Post by jillsjack » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:16 am

Simar and Gill,
I have few opinions also which i would like to Share.

1. Cost and Living Statndard
I think that whatever the UN Survey says, Canada is a much better place to live:

A. It is far more secluded than UK on the globe and more peaceful also. And also it is much bigger which may not mean much to some but means a lot to Punjabis who are used to living in open spaces and houses with yards.

B. Canada is much lesser involved in whatever is going on in the world and that means in turn that your kids are much safer in Canada than in UK.

2. IT Telecom sector seems to be performing better right now in UK so a good option is to come to UK----after all what is £150/- assuming you will be claiming Sal Points :lol: . Then apply for Canada as well. This way you may start working in a more compareable market and then later you may choose to move to Canada. You will be going to North America with UK Experience and better money (Hopefully) to settle. And if you have integrated well into UK then may be the PR Card from Canada can go to the Dustbin.
As far as the rest of the EU is concerned, it may be good for those who speak their languages. I am assuming that English is the only language you know apart from Punjabi.

3. Processing Times are becoming better for Canada. It is better to apply and then think about slow processing times than not to apply and later realizing that processing times fast or slow "I must have applied". Policies change also. You better be fast than right.

4. facial Discrimination is far more rooted in EU (Specially UK) than North America which has eveolved under more etninc diversity than EU. Aslo it just ocurred to me while watching D-Day Transmissions on BBC) that the phasing out of the generation whcih manipulated the MahaRajas of Indo-Pak is not yet complete. I am not saying that this descrimination is evident on the side walks in the streets but I am sure that it exists in Board Rooms and Blue Rooms and Green Rooms or whatever they call them. In NORTH America you can grow as much as your ability takes you but in UK you can grow with some unwritten caps on growth. Thes limits may be sufficient for you but tomorrow your kids will grow too.

All in All i think Canada is much better but nothing wrong in trying UK also. You will be at the least and hopefully "ECONOMICALLY ACTIVE", if you know what I mean.
J's J