ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Landing in Canada and PR Card

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maxthewonderdog
Newly Registered

Landing in Canada and PR Card

Post by maxthewonderdog » Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Hello,

This has probably been asked and answered before but I would really appreciate any help/answers anyone can offer.

I have received my visa and COPR. My expiry date for entry is January 2011. My questions are:

I would like to 'LAND' in Canada in October 2010, stay 3-4 weeks and return home. I have family I will be staying with so was going to apply for my PR card and give their address for it to be sent out. I need to return home to continue university so wouldn't be able to stay until the card arrived. Can I leave and have them post it over or bring it with them when they come home and use it when I go back in the summer of 2011?

I know I can't return without it but I can leave without it?

How much money should I bring with me when landing?

Should I open a Bank Account when over there in the initial LANDING visit?

In my 'Welcome Pack' it briefly indicates paying tax on worldwide income. Does anyone know the Canada-UK Tax treaty and whether I should file a tax return here in UK and in Canada? (I will still be working until I make the final move in June 2011).

Any help would be very welcome.

All the best,

Max

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: Landing in Canada and PR Card

Post by raymasa2 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:44 am

maxthewonderdog wrote:Hello,

This has probably been asked and answered before but I would really appreciate any help/answers anyone can offer.

I have received my visa and COPR. My expiry date for entry is January 2011. My questions are:

I would like to 'LAND' in Canada in October 2010, stay 3-4 weeks and return home. I have family I will be staying with so was going to apply for my PR card and give their address for it to be sent out. I need to return home to continue university so wouldn't be able to stay until the card arrived. Can I leave and have them post it over or bring it with them when they come home and use it when I go back in the summer of 2011?

I know I can't return without it but I can leave without it?

How much money should I bring with me when landing?

Should I open a Bank Account when over there in the initial LANDING visit?

In my 'Welcome Pack' it briefly indicates paying tax on worldwide income. Does anyone know the Canada-UK Tax treaty and whether I should file a tax return here in UK and in Canada? (I will still be working until I make the final move in June 2011).

Any help would be very welcome.

All the best,

Max
Yes you can give the address of your family for the PR card. You don’t need it to leave Canada, only to enter.

As much as you want, but if you bring more than $10,000 in cash (or cash equivalent) you need to declare it at customs. If you are bringing less than the minimum required, you may want to take with you 3 months of bank statements to show you have the required funds. They most probably wont check, but just in case.

Up to you to open a bank account, no legal requirement to do so.

Ray

maxthewonderdog
Newly Registered

Post by maxthewonderdog » Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your reply and the advice. Much appreciated.

Max