ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Excluding research trips from days spent abroad

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jager

Excluding research trips from days spent abroad

Post by jager » Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi,

I have a UK ancestry visa, expiring September 2011. I'm concerned that any further trips I take outside the UK may take me over the 6 month limit for ILR (or whatever the new govt introduces).

As an academic, I frequently travel in Europe for research reasons, visiting libraries and museums. Am I entitled to exclude that time from the 6 months? Although it's not a "business trip" it's essential to doing my job so I hope it won't need to be counted. I've had the same employer (a university) throughout that time and have continued to be paid throughout the absences.

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Excluding research trips from days spent abroad

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 pm

jager wrote: Am I entitled to exclude that time from the 6 months? Although it's not a "business trip" it's essential to doing my job so I hope it won't need to be counted.
Not unless your employer certifies in writing that these trips were "necessary" for your job. Also, given that you're not the usual employee who travels for business reasons, it may depend on caseworker discretion (even with the supporting letter).

regards

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 pm

I dont think you should have a problem with this. Have a letter from your employer stating that these were ' professional' or work related visits and that you continued to be paid during this time. I had 19 such days spent on educational meetings/conferences abroad, case worker never mentioned anything at all, even though that took my total absences close to 200.
Best Regards