ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Payslip Template/Example Please Help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

secsmed
Newly Registered

Need Payslip Template/Example Please Help

Post by secsmed » Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Dear All,

I NEED PAYSLIP EXAMPLE IN THE FORMAT ACCEPTED BY UKBA. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

I have expressed my situation a few days ago in here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=57105. Long story short: I live and work in the UK with a Tier 1 general visa, but my employer is in another EU country and pays my salary in Euros with no tax reduction in the source country (because I do not live there). I am concerned about my extension application.

I requested my employer to give me monthly payslips (they do not provide it normally!), they agreed that I give them an example of what I need to satisfy UKBA and they issue me monthly income evidence according to that. I do not want to mess it up, that is why I need help from you knowledgeable members of the forum to give me an appropriate template for it.

Thank you very much in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm

I believe what you are trying to do will not work, and might get you in trouble.

Your employer will not issue payslips that shows tax deductions or NI contributions - because they are not deducting any tax at source (because no tax is being paid in that country) nor deducting NI contributions from your income. When employed in UK and earning income here, one must pay income tax and National Insurance contributions. The moment you use these payslips as documentary evidence anywhere claiming to be employed in the UK, you will end up in trouble.

I am not an expert to suggest you on what working model you need to adopt to continue working for your EU based employer, but this is definitely not the one.

Why can't you register yourself as self-employed, work for your EU based employer as a contractor / consultant and invoice them for the services you provide to them? You should consult with a competent accountant to review your options and then see what you and your employers can agree on, mutually.

regards

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. My problem is that I can not get a concrete answer for my situation. The other guy was suggesting to keep it simple and just get income certificates/payslips from the employer showing my gross salary and apply Tier 1 extension with that. Do you think that even though I pay my tax and NIC in the UK still this document will be dangerous? I have no intention of not paying income tax & NIC and even when I went to Job Centre they told me that either I can pay those after registering as self employed or they can give me a modified tax code and I pay uk tax and NIC by direct debit. Of course these info are not shown in the employer's payslip but anyway, what to do really? I am really confused. 
I never had any experience with accountants and I do not know how can I find them even (& if they cost fortunes or they are affordable?). How can I know if they can advise based on an immigration point of view? As I mentioned above contributions to HMRC can be paid fairly easily (just need to declair it) but what way should things be done to satisfy HO?
Please advice if you can.
With regards  

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 pm

secsmed wrote: My problem is that I can not get a concrete answer for my situation.
Because this is an immigration forum, not a forum that deals with employment issues or income tax issues (or similar stuff). So not exactly the right place to look for answers to such queries. What has been suggested to you is "how you can avoid the hassle at the time of extension", without the intention of guiding you in the right direction.

The problem is that if you follow what has been suggested, you may end up in big trouble one day and then will have to pay price that you'll surely regret. So, why not sort out the matter right at the beginning so that you can live in the UK in peace!

The issue you have is not an immigration issue, but rather an employment one - as to which working model you should adapt in the UK, and how you must pay your taxes in the UK - given your immigration status and terms of your employment.

I am not an expert in these matter, so the following is based on my limited personal understanding:

1. The root cause of the problem here seems to be the fact that your employer is not registered in the UK and therefore (perhaps) can get away by offering you a tax-free income (from his point of view not yours, as you'll end up paying whatever is due as per UK laws).
2. For the company to employ you in UK and pay you salary in the UK, the company must be registered in UK so that they can comply with the income tax laws of the country. e.g.- deduct income tax and NI contribution at source from your salary and deposit the same with HMRC along with their contribution of the NI.
3. As an employee of your employer, you cannot pay income tax and NI contributions to the HMRC - not something that you can do or ought to be doing when it is the responsibility of the employer.
4. For you to pay income tax and NI, on your own, on income you make in this country, you need to be registered as self-employed.

In your case, I believe the best route for you to take is the self-employment route. Discuss with your employer if he is okay that you do the same work as a vendor / supplier and not as an employee. If there's an agreement on the matter, register yourself as self-employed and invoice your employer/client as per terms mutually agreed.

If you follow this route, then perhaps you may need a bit of professional help in arranging your documentary evidences to support your Tier 1 extension, but let me assure that you'll spend your life here in peace and focus on your career rather than looking over your shoulder all the time wondering if HMRC or UKBA are out there wanting to arrest you.

Like I said, this is an immigration forum ... perhaps not the best place to look for answers to non-immigration issues!

regards