ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

trivial question on student visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

daniele777
Newly Registered

trivial question on student visa

Post by daniele777 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 am

Hi all,

I'm an italian PhD student living in Dublin. My girlfriend is thai and she's trying to come here to study English and Business with a student visa (you can check my previous posts). We are ready to start the process so the first step is to pay the tuition fees of the college.

Now, in the student visa guidelines they said that they need proof of payment of fees and from 14th July 2008 they need a copy of electronic transfer of funds from the applicant to the college. I will help my girlfriend paying the fees but I don't know how to do it. The cases are 2 :

1) Should I pay the college directly from my bank account (stating in the description field that these are the college fees of my girlfriend)?

OR

2) Should I send her or one of her relatives the money and let her pay with her (her relatives) bank account (but they don't have banking online so they can't show the electronic transfer of funds)?

I know it may not be such a big deal but, recently, in the visa decision page I found one case of rejection because no copy of electronic transfer was provided (case 2660692). I just don't want to have problems and give INIS what they want in the way they prefer. I'm doing things in the most honest way possible and I want to show them the best I can!

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!
Cheers,

Dani

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Pay the college in whatever way you want and ask the college to give you a letter stating that such and such (your gf) has paid for the course of studies.
All your base are belong to us

rlow68

Post by rlow68 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 pm

It seems it will be better if the money is paid through transfer as required by DOJ, it is specifically stated there as you know the question may be asked apart from the college fee, you have to present availability of fund for her upkeepment when she is in the college. Your statement of account may be requested, and it will look as if you want to bring her in through the back door instead of going there and getting married to her and applied for spouse visa. The government want the money to come from outside, no the money you raise in the country. They want people to bring money in, not to use the money to bring people in. Please find a way of transferring the cash from that place and have the transfer receipt, that is the requirement.
Find a way of transferring the cash to the college.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Many thanks for your reply,

infact it seems less trivial than it might be. I want to help her paying the tuition fees as she doesn't have enough money so I'll follow what DOJ wants. I will transfer money from my Italian bank account to her bank account and let her pay the fees with a bank transfer. I will provide my bank statement and her bank statement (that will show my bank transfer for the fees). I think this way will be the most honest and clear for DOJ.

Do you agree?

Daniele

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 am

Hi all!

You won't believe it.
We have prepared all the required docs for the student visa for my girlfriend but she can't deliver them to the irish consulate in bangkok because of the civil war they're fighting just in front of it (plus the consulate will be closed until the situation will change). So i was thinking that , since this is a delicate and unusual situation and since we are running out of time (the course will start on 30th August) maybe she can send me all her docs and i can apply directly at Burgh Quay in Dublin. I didn't get any reply from INIS about it (no emails, no phone answers). Do you know if there is some special case for which we can process the application in this way?

Thank you in advance for all your comments!
Dani

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 am

daniele777 wrote:... but she can't deliver them to the irish consulate in bangkok because of the civil war they're fighting just in front of it (plus the consulate will be closed until the situation will change)....
Those civil wars are so inconvenient. I think in a situation like this she can apply in a neighbouring country. Is there Irish consulate in any nearby countries?
All your base are belong to us

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 am

victor8600 wrote:Is there Irish consulate in any nearby countries?
Neither Cambodia, Laos nor Myanmar have an Irish mission.

Malaysia, PRC and Vietnam all do.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Victor, thanks for your comment! I really need them as soon as possible cause we're seriously running out of time and the situation is getting too worse (I'm really worried for the safety of my girlfriend!).

Actually there is another Irish consulate in Phuket, south of Thailand and btw, all the applications from Thailand are sent directly to the Irish Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia before sending them to Dublin for the decision. The problem is that every application has to be registered online via the AVATS system and that system will assign automatically the Irish consulate to which the applicant should bring all the documents (which in her case has to be Bangkok). Plus if she applies (for example) in Kuala Lumpur then she has to give the passport and she won't be able to come back to Thailand until the visa decision process is over. So I'm just guessing if there is a way to avoid the application with this online system for special cases like this (I mean the situation is really unbelievable!). I think the easiest way would be to let me apply in Dublin with her docs but I'm afraid INIS won't let me do it even for this unusual case.

Please, every comment will be really precious to me as I really don't know what else can I do. It has been a torture since the beginning, I faced thousands of problems and obstacles since Sept 2009 and now I also have to face a civil war! After 9 months, I'm getting desperate and starting to lose hope.

Please guys, help me with your suggestions.
Thanks to all in advance!

Dani

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 am

Ben wrote:
victor8600 wrote:Is there Irish consulate in any nearby countries?
Neither Cambodia, Laos nor Myanmar have an Irish mission.

Malaysia, PRC and Vietnam all do.
And thanks to Ben as well!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue May 18, 2010 11:53 am

I'd say an application made by herself to KL might be the best bet then Dani.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the DoJ will not accept a proxy application submitted directly to them by yourself in Ireland. I'm not certain on that though.. do look in to it.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Ben wrote:I'd say an application made by herself to KL might be the best bet then Dani.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the DoJ will not accept a proxy application submitted directly to them by yourself in Ireland. I'm not certain on that though.. do look in to it.
I will tomorrow (have to take another holiday just because they don't answer to phone calls or emails!). And yes, I think it might be the best to KL. But again my question is : she has to submit her passport for the visa application, so she won't be able to come back to Thailand until the visa process is over, correct?

Thank you so much Ben! I really appreciate it!
Dani

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue May 18, 2010 12:21 pm

i would advise you to ring the actual embassy where the visa application will be processed. some embassies have a procedure in such cases where the application is submitted with a copy of the passport, and on approval the holder travels to the embassy with the original passport to get the visa sticker attached and probably the original passport inspected as well.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Guys, thanks a lot for all your replies.

I don't have any choice but to go directly to INIS and ask them, crossing fingers. I hope that somebody can help me there (last time i went there nobody was able to help me. I felt like a ping-pong ball). I'll let you know how it goes just to share my case, if you don't mind. Maybe it could be helpful for somebody.

Last question: Can somebody give me a suggestion to who can i talk in INIS? I'm wondering if some of you guys can suggest me the name of somebody in the visa section that would be so kind to give me info and assistance in this problem.

Again thanks a lot to everybody! I really appreciate it.

Dani

P.S. : Btw, just to let you have an idea: the Irish consulate is in the bottom right corner of the green square in this map.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 pm

P.S. : Btw, just to let you have an idea: the Irish consulate is in the bottom right corner of the green square in this map.

'nice' area :)
visa section have their desks beside GNIB, but i guess you will have to get a ticket for it. they mainly do re-entry visas there, or should i say just accept the docs. is the visa section helpline in operation? i used that before and they were very helpful.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi all,

just to keep you updated on the situation and maybe you can post your comments. As you may know by now the situation in Bangkok has degenerated to a little civil war. Last night I was saying good night to my girlfriend when we both heard the sound of a gunshot next to her area. I was frozen.

So what can u do when u have such a singular problem and you need to submit a visa application? You can't just rely on the info posted on INIS website.
So let's call the helpline...
....the helpline is "unavailable at the present moment" (It's months...). Ok.

Then let's send an e-mail...
...no replies whatsoever. Ok.

In the call they say you can send a mail (!!!!) and they probably reply you back as soon as they can....not really, it's 20 working days. Now, I don't have all this time and honestly, I don't think that in the 21st century I should communicate with such an important department by mail...but maybe I'm wrong.

So the best way is to go to INIS. Surely somebody there could at least hear what I have to say. So let's take a holiday and let's go.

This is what happened:

1) The guy in the front desk told me to talk with the people of GNIB. Ok,good!
2) The people of GNIB told me to talk with the visa section because "they don't deal with visa". Mmmmmm ok. Fair enough.
3) The guy that distributes tickets for the visa desk said that this is just for re-entry visa so "talk with the people of GNIB"..........? Ok but...who can help me then?
4) I was again a ping-pong ball because nobody can help me.

So I literally stopped an officer that was entering to the restricted area. I explained him the situation and that "I only want information, I'm not here for special request". He was kind, he took my number, went upstairs, talked with the visa guys, and called me back saying "You can't talk with the visa officers. I am afraid that the best you can do is to wait until the situation in Bangkok will be back to normal.". I said to him "I understand sir and I thank you for your help but I need to ask questions to people that normally reply to e-mails or answer the phone. That's it. You understand that my situation is not nice and kinda urgent, therefore I need correct information". He kindly replied me back that he can't help me.

This is their customer service description. Have a look especially at the section of personal callers.

I don't mean to be rude but...yes, I am a little disappointed. Actually more than a little. I am exhausted. And depressed. Sorry for this outburst guys but this is too much. I only asked for information and they don't provide. And they don't realise how this could influence people's life.

Do you think it is normal or it's just me?
Cause i really don't know what to do and what to think anymore.

Thanks to everyone.

Dani.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm

daniele777 wrote:Hi all,

just to keep you updated on the situation and maybe you can post your comments. As you may know by now the situation in Bangkok has degenerated to a little civil war. Last night I was saying good night to my girlfriend when we both heard the sound of a gunshot next to her area. I was frozen.

So what can u do when u have such a singular problem and you need to submit a visa application? You can't just rely on the info posted on INIS website.
So let's call the helpline...
....the helpline is "unavailable at the present moment" (It's months...). Ok.

Then let's send an e-mail...
...no replies whatsoever. Ok.

In the call they say you can send a mail (!!!!) and they probably reply you back as soon as they can....not really, it's 20 working days. Now, I don't have all this time and honestly, I don't think that in the 21st century I should communicate with such an important department by mail...but maybe I'm wrong.

So the best way is to go to INIS. Surely somebody there could at least hear what I have to say. So let's take a holiday and let's go.

This is what happened:

1) The guy in the front desk told me to talk with the people of GNIB. Ok,good!
2) The people of GNIB told me to talk with the visa section because "they don't deal with visa". Mmmmmm ok. Fair enough.
3) The guy that distributes tickets for the visa desk said that this is just for re-entry visa so "talk with the people of GNIB"..........? Ok but...who can help me then?
4) I was again a ping-pong ball because nobody can help me.

So I literally stopped an officer that was entering to the restricted area. I explained him the situation and that "I only want information, I'm not here for special request". He was kind, he took my number, went upstairs, talked with the visa guys, and called me back saying "You can't talk with the visa officers. I am afraid that the best you can do is to wait until the situation in Bangkok will be back to normal.". I said to him "I understand sir and I thank you for your help but I need to ask questions to people that normally reply to e-mails or answer the phone. That's it. You understand that my situation is not nice and kinda urgent, therefore I need correct information". He kindly replied me back that he can't help me.

This is their customer service description. Have a look especially at the section of personal callers.

I don't mean to be rude but...yes, I am a little disappointed. Actually more than a little. I am exhausted. And depressed. Sorry for this outburst guys but this is too much. I only asked for information and they don't provide. And they don't realise how this could influence people's life.

Do you think it is normal or it's just me?
Cause i really don't know what to do and what to think anymore.

Thanks to everyone.

Dani.
Welcome to the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service. It is 2010 and that is the best our dear country can offer. Your frustration is almost palpable mate and I sympathize greatly with you. What you have experienced is what thousands of immigrants and their families have to go through for years in this country. According to some on this forum, we are supposed to be grateful for it. I am sure you have read a lot of the ordeals people have to go though in the hands of the embarrassment that is INIS and the department of Justice.

As I said there are there will be people here soon enough to lecture us on Irish history; about how people are taking advantage of the Irish immigration system and the need to maintain the status quo. Hopefully you can give them a piece of your mind.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope you can find a solution to your problem soonest.

Slan

9j
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 am

9jeirean wrote: It is 2010 and that is the best our dear country can offer.
Slan
Our country? I was under the impression that you were from Nigeria? That makes you Irish? :shock:

koded

Post by koded » Fri May 21, 2010 9:21 am

As some people have advised here, it will be better your girlfriend fly to neighbouring country to submit her application. first she has to call the embassy to enquiry about their procedures. if they accept by post that is fine too. Even if they requested her to come in person when visa is approved that will be good too. She can then fly to Ireland on collection of her visa.
I am sure you will not get any positive response from INIS. that if they are going to respond to you.
Best of Luck!

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 am

IrishTom wrote:
Slan
Our country? I was under the impression that you were from Nigeria? That makes you Irish? :shock:
SMH. Dude we all know you are slow, but must you be so pathetic? So you haven't learnt anything since you've been hanging around here.
Am I an Irish Citizen ?

Who can be an Irish citizen?
In general a person acquires Irish citizenship through one of the following ways:
by descent if one of his or her parents was an Irish citizen at the time of the person's birth;
by marriage to an Irish citizen;
by naturalisation.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000039

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Consolid ... onINCA.pdf

So now do you get it? (Gosh now am sounding like that guy in the "Broadband to-go" advert)

Pray tell, what do you say to danielle777's predicament?
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

smalltime

Post by smalltime » Fri May 21, 2010 10:25 am

IrishTom wrote:
Slan

9J you have Irish passport , Irishtom have (maybe) Irish passport
both guys are equal hik hik hik hik

Go 9J you have the Irish in you.

at work all the Irish congratulated me even bought champagne for me and signed cards greeting me as fellow Irish ahhh im touched.
pen pen de sarapin de kutsilyo de armasen
haw haw de karabaw de batutin

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 21, 2010 11:42 am

IrishTom wrote:Our country? I was under the impression that you were from Nigeria? That makes you Irish? :shock:
I don't know why you say things like this Tom. It only causes to negate the positive and helpful posts you make.
Last edited by Ben on Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your comments.
Unfortunately the situation is more complicated than it seems (I think this is the most unlucky period of my life).

Basically :

1) We don't know when The Irish consulate in Bangkok is going to re open. Hopefully next week, if something crazy doesn't happen meanwhile.

2) The Irish consulate in Phuket informed us that in theory it is possible to apply there (even if AVATS online system will assign the application reference number to the Irish consulate in Bangkok). The problem is that (don't laugh) they use Fedex to send the docs to the Embassy in KL and they say Fedex is unavailable at the moment because of the unrest situation. So when Fedex will be available, probably the consulate in Bangkok will re-open as well.

3) We'll try to call again KL. But it's a big question mark. We don't know if it is possible to apply directly and, if yes, we don't know if they will accept the docs by post or with a certified copy the passport. And to be honest guys...I will not feel comfortable to do so. Cause I don't know if it will be ok for INIS in Dublin.

Last but not least, I want to say that I strongly believe in equality between people, regardless of their nationality. I'm sorry if my post brought up topics like "You're Irish, you're Nigerian..." or whatever. No need to argue for this guys, really. I personally believe we are all the same. I will never blame this country or Irish people for the problems I'm facing. Never. Actually, I am grateful to this land for what it gave to me. I won't even blame INIS because I believe there is good people working in there like the guy that tried to help me even if it wasn't his responsibility.

But yes, I blame people that are not doing their job they should do or are not offering the service they should offer. Regardless of their nationality. Cause they don't realise how a little help from them can seriously change a life.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your comments and help! I hope I can share with you some good news in the future.

Cheers,

Dani.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Dani,

Have you ever lived together and, if so, for how long?

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Ben,
no we never lived together, unfortunately.

If it's the partner visa you're thinking (2 years of relationship duly attested) we don't meet the requirements.

Actually, her wish is to study one year in Europe and since I'm here it is the most easy way to choose Ireland as I can support her and take care of her without problems. After one year I'll finish my PhD and we'll probably move somewhere else (for the sake of Ireland Student Visa regulations).

The most important thing for me is that I would be able to live with my girlfriend for 1 year at least (provided the Student Visa will be accepted and..of course..if she'll be able to apply on time!!! )

Thanks for your post.
Cheers,

Dani.

daniele777
Newly Registered

Post by daniele777 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

Hi All,

finally some good news. The situation in Bangkok seems to be back to normal and the Irish consulate has re opened. So tomorrow my girlfriend will finally submit the application for the student visa!!...

..unless a meteor will fall down to the building or an army of desert foxes will block the entrance of the consulate or an earthquake will destroy Bangkok or etc. etc.....

The last thing I'm not really sure about is my bank statement. She has my original 6 months bank statement up to 7th May cause we hoped to submit by that time before the 3rd world war exploded in the consulate street. Now it's 26 and I am afraid my bank statement is not updated. She called the consulate and they said that it's still ok but....mmmmh...you never know...

What do you think about it?

By the way, I want to thank you all for your precious comments, suggestions and support. I'll let you know how it will end, if you don't mind to know.

Cheers,

Dani