ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my US wife apply for a settlement visa in the UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dansette
Newly Registered

Can my US wife apply for a settlement visa in the UK?

Post by Dansette » Sat May 22, 2010 10:38 am

Hi

This seems like it should be a really simple question for the home office websites to answer, but I've tried and tried and can't see the answer.

My wife is a US citizen. I'm a UK Citizen. I'm now settled back here in the UK. She is still in the US. To allow her to settle in the UK, can she enter the UK on her US passport, and apply for her settlement visa when she is here in the UK? Or does she have to apply for her settlement visa when she is still in the USA?

This Home Office website kind of implies that it is possible (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... /partners/)
"If your application as a husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner is successful, we will grant you permission to come and live here for 27 months, or to remain here for another 2 years if you are already in the UK when you apply. "

But I don't see the process outlined anywhere about how one applies for a settlement visa for the UK from within the UK.

Any help gratefully received.

cheers

Tom.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 22, 2010 10:52 am

You can't - has to be done from country where applicant is resident.

The link you refer to is for when for some reason after the initial two years on marriage visa you can't apply for ILR (eg having not passed the KOL test), you can apply for another two years FLR, expensive and dragging out the process even longer of course...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 22, 2010 5:23 pm

It doesnt take long to get visa from USA if you provide the right documents.

Yes you will have to apply from outside UK I am afraid.