ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP Sponsorship , 1 to 1000 ??

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

2uk

Post by 2uk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:06 pm

I am just curious , do you know even 1 “visa national” who was granted a WP. How these guys managed to do that ?

I am asking because I talked to a recruitment agent in the UK , and after having asked that same question , she told me : “No, I never heard such a case. This is probably because, employers do not want to wait 3 – 4 months for WP processing.”

I wonder if this is even possible.. , or is it just a waste of time for guys like us. IT's got to be a chance 1 to 1000.

:)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: WP Sponsorship , 1 to 1000 ??

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 am

2uk wrote:I am just curious , do you know even 1 “visa national” who was granted a WP. How these guys managed to do that ?

I am asking because I talked to a recruitment agent in the UK , and after having asked that same question , she told me : “No, I never heard such a case. This is probably because, employers do not want to wait 3 – 4 months for WP processing.”

I wonder if this is even possible.. , or is it just a waste of time for guys like us. IT's got to be a chance 1 to 1000.

I agree, they have to be in the majority slightly dodgy in nature, lets face it, who'd offer anyone a job to someone out of status and out of the country?

I'd stick my neck out here and say it's Indian software companies offering WP's to Indians since 99% of the WP folks here seem to be South Asian.

Not saying they're all dodgy of course!

Steve

2uk

Post by 2uk » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:
I'd stick my neck out here and say it's Indian software companies offering WP's to Indians since 99% of the WP folks here seem to be South Asian.

Not saying they're all dodgy of course!

Steve
Do You mean there are so many Indian companies that have established themselves in UK ?!?

Btw , I read someplace, that IT people from different parts of the world were going to India to work. How can this be ? And who would want to go to a "third-world" ( no offence ) country to work ??

tvt

Post by tvt » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:04 am

Many of the WP issued in the IT field are dodgy "intra group transfers". The immigrants working with these WP get paltry wages compared to the UK going rate. Many also don't pay a penny in taxes to the UK exchequer as their salaries are paid offshore / by offshore entities / dubious allowances or by other canny devices. Shamefully, these WP holders somehow manage to get ILR and thus launder themselves.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

2uk

Post by 2uk » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:07 pm

Yeah, looks like I’ve been over 4 years in misbelief that I can legally secure a highly-skilled IT job via the WP process. However, as it turns out, this seems to be impossible. And it makes sense – why in the hell hire a foreign individual when you can hire locally??

So, It’s sad that these WP / Business Visa schemes are exploited only by illegal or very low paid immigrants who come to UK to work “whatever they find”.

Well who knows …. perhaps this is exactly what these schemes are intended to be there for …

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:26 pm

This is not entirely true. I do know of one company who were legitimately in India hiring marketing and brand management people at legitimate(£35000 pa) salaries and getting them WPs for 4 yrs. This is a large known UK household brand. They were specifically picking up people for targeting the asian customer base and that is how they got their WP clearance from the home office.
Mini

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:30 pm

I agree with Mini, thats not entirely accurate. In my own case, I came to this country on a work permit. I had a 6 months contract so I knew I had 6 months to look for a job and a WP sponsor. I switched employment after 6 months to a full fledged british company. I know of many others who have secured WP to normal companies that have no inter company or branch transfers. Yes its not common, but to say that WP is alway used as a vehicle of abuse is not knowing the full facts.
Btw , I read someplace, that IT people from different parts of the world were going to India to work. How can this be ? And who would want to go to a "third-world" ( no offence ) country to work ??
I do take slight offense, because you are talking about a country that has one of the largest economies in the world and a large market that everyone wants a share off. India 20 years back and India today are not the same place.

oli_ro
Newly Registered

WP

Post by oli_ro » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:03 pm

So is it realistic to assume that it is unlikely to find a company in IT to sponsor WP regardless of the skills ?

Have people been able to find such companies ?

Is it work even trying ?

Thanks.

basis

Post by basis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:18 am

If your skill is in demand then there are companies who sponsor wp. not otherwise - that's the simple answer. There are many companies who can do the WPs and that is legitimate. and contrary to popular belief the WP process takes few weeks and not few months.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:15 pm

If you are outside the UK, you need an Entry Clearence (EC) which is additional paper work and will take some more extra time on top of the actual work permit processing.

May be thats one of the reasons...
2uk wrote:I am just curious , do you know even 1 “visa national” who was granted a WP. How these guys managed to do that ?

2uk

Post by 2uk » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:36 pm

quote from a workpermit.com article on the new 5 Tier system :

"
Some organisations which lobbied the government during the consultation for the system argue that a block on low-skilled workers from outside the EU will lead to exploitation and exacerbate illegal migration. For instance, two sectors which rely on cheap non-EU labour are cleaning companies - particularly in London - and Indian and Chinese restaurants.

"

That kinda supports the fact that the current system "tolerates" somewhat low-skilled immgr. , So High Skilled fellas dont cry , changes are coming.Hopefully.

IN FACT , as it turns out, these changes are introduced to "fight" that very same "problem".

vivekR

Post by vivekR » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 am

Hi 2UK,

The above from yours statement

unquote

I have noticed eveeryone is told to be as polite as we can, in this part of the civilised better world. Many people have also used offensive language and they have been told to curb their language if they can.

I am sure you read a lot and read froma lot of sources. But you may read from probably a fundamentalist or maybe mot, but please do not make statements like above. What do you mean by who would like to work there? I come from India. Today I can see friends of mine who all started their the shipping acreer at the same time make thrice as much and like a much better life than I do here. Despite the 'civilised' way of life here. Life may be good here, but it is purely a relative stand point. My wife's sister is an architecht from Bombay for the last 6 yrs. She is here at london studying for an advanced degree. She cant wait to get back. She thinks the place has little scope... given the kind of developments one sees in India and the money there is to make for all architechts. While I may not agree to everything she says, but she does have some truth.

Do not use words like 'third world'. These are names we have hated forever. If that is justified, then so is a nutter like Osama calling the west the land of infidels!! No one has the right to call the other any names whatsoever.

And BTW, given the way the things are here... look around... the rihest man here is an Indian National resident in Britian, Mr.Mittal. Some of the biggest business are owned by the third world country people who may or may not be local passport holder ie chnaged nationalities.

Infact there are many like me who believe, that this place is good for a head start, but there is lots more money and business in those 'third world' nations!!

Thanks ....and as you say.... no offence intended.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Fully Agree

Post by pantaiema » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:56 pm

I fully agree with basis. Good examples such as, doctor's, Nurse", "Rail Engineer". Construction Engineers, Bridge engineers, etc

The question is that whether they need your skills. Could they find enough people in the skills they need in the UK/EU (they are required by law to give preference to UK/EU citizen).

If the answers are not then they area likely willing to apply work permit for you. If the multinational companies apply work permit for you then the chance to get work permit is almost 100%. It just takes less then a week to get one.

You will notice that many multinationals companies in the UK have employed quite significant numbers of non EU foreigners.

Pantaiema

basis wrote:If your skill is in demand then there are companies who sponsor wp. not otherwise - that's the simple answer. There are many companies who can do the WPs and that is legitimate. and contrary to popular belief the WP process takes few weeks and not few months.

VinLopez
Newly Registered

Post by VinLopez » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:16 pm

2uk wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

IT salaries in India have sky rocketed. It is not uncommon for programmers working in India to get around £15,000 and IT managers around £25,000. A lavish lifestyle will cost around £3000 per year. The rest are savings. How many people in the UK or USA can afford to save £10,000 per year? Hope that answers your question.