ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dying to get an EEA Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

robericom
Newly Registered

Dying to get an EEA Family Permit

Post by robericom » Sat May 01, 2010 9:39 pm

After browsing through www.immigrationboards.com over the last few years I have been impressed with the collective knowledge that exists between all the members.

I am a South African National (Male), married to a Slovak National (Wife), And we have 2 boys (7 & 4) who also have attained their Slovak Passports through the Slovak embassy in South Africa.

My mother is a British citizen settled in the UK (Not born in UK - Married UK Spouse/my stepfather).

We want to go to the UK. {After a 2 month visit to our family in Slovakia} and I ask the next few questions in a numbered form so as not to create confusion:

1)I had a Drunk & Reckless Driving conviction in 1997 (young&dumb!) - nothing else ever again - will this be a problem, or will is be seen as a spent conviction, or within bounds of proportionality? (In SA - this is a lifelong record)

2)How much money will we need to take for proof of self-sufficiency?

If we don't have enough funds for "self sufficiency" (for 4 people) - Can My Wife, and eldest son first go to the UK to my UK Mother for accommodation, help etc..... and when my wife has work - then I come to join spouse (with youngest son) - *** we should have about 10 000 euro???
ie - (10 000 Eur for 2 people) - then (10 000 euro + 1 salary for 4 people) - then 10 000 Eur + 2 salaries.............

3)Can My mother Maybe Sponsor the boys as students coming to study as EU Students - with the support of their UK granny? This would leave My application free of extra "financial burden risk" - on paper! (but obvously my Mother will help 110%)

4)Can I apply for the EEA family permit through the UK embassy in Bratislava Slovakia?

I will ask more questions later as I come across them - and would appreciate your guys/girlz help!

Thanks for such a great site - 100 times more valuable than any agent?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm

1) Should be no issue.
2) You do not need to be a qualified person in the first 3 months so there is no need for your wife to go there first.
3) Sponsor what? As EU citizens they can go to school in the UK. The grandmother can of course support them financially.
4) Yes, but make sure that they know that.

Agents? Hmm...

robericom
Newly Registered

Post by robericom » Sat May 01, 2010 11:09 pm

86ti wrote:1) Should be no issue.
2) You do not need to be a qualified person in the first 3 months so there is no need for your wife to go there first.
3) Sponsor what? As EU citizens they can go to school in the UK. The grandmother can of course support them financially.
4) Yes, but make sure that they know that.

Agents? Hmm...
Thanks so much - I feel more confident now

- just my question--- ""4)Can I apply for the EEA family permit through the UK embassy in Bratislava Slovakia?""

- You answered - 4) Yes, but make sure that they know that."

I don't know what you mean?

OH-- ANOTHER QUESTION: Will they require a record check for proof/details of the conviction, if they do need one, how old/new must it be?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 am

robericom wrote:- You answered - 4) Yes, but make sure that they know that."

I don't know what you mean?
It may be that the embassy there believes that you would have to be legally resident in Slovakia but this is not so, see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunati ... t#13627112 .
robericom wrote:OH-- ANOTHER QUESTION: Will they require a record check for proof/details of the conviction, if they do need one, how old/new must it be?
I have no idea. Have a look at the VAF5 form to see what exactly they are asking for.

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Fri May 07, 2010 8:11 pm

My husband recently got issued with an EEA FP from the UK Embassy in Morocco. He has a prior conviction and prison sentence in Spain (for a bar fight...) which we mentioned on the application form without any real details as we don't have any.

It appears that the ECO made all the checks themselves as in our case, they actually straightened out that my husband's records were crossed with somebody else's (who had some unresolved activity).

If you have any information or documentation, then you should provide it, otherwise, I really don't think that your case will be a critical factor, imo.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363

JACKY123

Pls give ur advice ASAP

Post by JACKY123 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi 86ti,

One question, I am a Irish National and my daughter (10 years old) is Non EU national . We have to go to UK on a visit for 10 days .

Can we both go without applying for a VISA for my daughter because I need to go to UK next week. Will she get clearance in UK airport without VISA and EU Family permit ?

If I apply for EU Fam Permit in Dubiln tomorrow it might take atleast 10 -15 days, What is the best way/quickest way for this ?

Thanks

Fried
Newly Registered

Status advice needed

Post by Fried » Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi,
I'm a Malaysian citizen with an Austrian stepfather. I'm 24 years old. I was below 18 when he became my stepfather but I've never been to Austria or any EU country till now (UK). I'd like to know what my status is. With a Malaysian nationality, I get 6 months tourist visa (without applying) to the UK. I was wondering if being the child of an EU citizen gives me other privileges (e.g. longer stay)?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Status advice needed

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Fried wrote:Hi,
I'm a Malaysian citizen with an Austrian stepfather. I'm 24 years old. I was below 18 when he became my stepfather but I've never been to Austria or any EU country till now (UK). I'd like to know what my status is. With a Malaysian nationality, I get 6 months tourist visa (without applying) to the UK. I was wondering if being the child of an EU citizen gives me other privileges (e.g. longer stay)?
Did he legally adopt you?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Fried
Newly Registered

Post by Fried » Thu May 27, 2010 1:34 pm

He married my mom. So I guess he kinda did.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Fried wrote:He married my mom. So I guess he kinda did.
No 'kinda' about it - has to be legal with papers. I don't think a stepchild can gain any advantage, whereas a legally adopted child may well be a be to gain Austrian Citizenship.

Fried
Newly Registered

Post by Fried » Thu May 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Wanderer wrote: No 'kinda' about it - has to be legal with papers. I don't think a stepchild can gain any advantage, whereas a legally adopted child may well be a be to gain Austrian Citizenship.
Meaning he has to declare me as his son even though he is legally married to my mother?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Fried wrote:
Wanderer wrote: No 'kinda' about it - has to be legal with papers. I don't think a stepchild can gain any advantage, whereas a legally adopted child may well be a be to gain Austrian Citizenship.
Meaning he has to declare me as his son even though he is legally married to my mother?
Yes, very officially, I'm sure u'd have papers if it was so.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Your step-farther would have had to legally adopt you Fried. Marriage to your mother is not enough.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

JACKY123

Post by JACKY123 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi ....

Can you answer me this plea

I am a Irish National and my daughter (10 years old) is Non EU national . We have to go to UK on a visit for 10 days .

Can we both go without applying for a VISA for my daughter because I need to go to UK next week. Will she get clearance in UK airport without VISA and EU Family permit ?

If I apply for EU Fam Permit in Dubiln tomorrow it might take atleast 10 -15 days, What is the best way/quickest way for this ?

Thanks

Fried
Newly Registered

Post by Fried » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 am

Ben wrote:Your step-farther would have had to legally adopt you Fried. Marriage to your mother is not enough.
Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to know where I can check on the procedures and requirements that are needed for my stepfather to legally adopt me? I'd really appreciate if you can post a link to a site with the literature for my query.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 am

Fried wrote:
Ben wrote:Your step-farther would have had to legally adopt you Fried. Marriage to your mother is not enough.
Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to know where I can check on the procedures and requirements that are needed for my stepfather to legally adopt me? I'd really appreciate if you can post a link to a site with the literature for my query.
You're too old to be adopted now! Forget it.

Fried
Newly Registered

Post by Fried » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 am

Dang! So is there any other way I can 'take advantage' of my parent's relationship to get resident benefits or whatever kinda benefits for myself?