ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Vulnerability Analyst - Info on security clearance

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Vulnerability Analyst - Info on security clearance

Post by sekhar0520 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi

I am a Vulnerability Analyst with more than 6 years of experience completely into the information security field. My skill set includes ethical hacking, IDS signature writing, penetration testing and Incident Handling.

Made an effort to search the forum to get information on this area but couldn't locate needful information.

My question is, as my working domain involves somewhat dealing with sensitive information, does most of the jobs in this domain require "Security Clearance"?

I will be grateful to the forum if somebody points me in right direction to know more about the SC on Information Security domain.

Thanks,

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Vulnerability Analyst - Info on security clearance

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 23, 2010 3:58 pm

sekhar0520 wrote:Hi

I am a Vulnerability Analyst with more than 6 years of experience completely into the information security field. My skill set includes ethical hacking, IDS signature writing, penetration testing and Incident Handling.

Made an effort to search the forum to get information on this area but couldn't locate needful information.

My question is, as my working domain involves somewhat dealing with sensitive information, does most of the jobs in this domain require "Security Clearance"?

I will be grateful to the forum if somebody points me in right direction to know more about the SC on Information Security domain.

Thanks,
For SC you need to be free of immigration control and resident in UK for five years at least.

In reality certainly where I work that means British Citizens Born and Bred with British lineage, they just don't take any chances.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Sun May 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks,
Wanderer is totally right. For the basic security clearance, you need to be a resident in this country for 3 years. For the full security clearance you need to be in this country for atleast 5 years. And most of the jobs in this country need the full clearance.
SC it is something your company does for you. You cannot get SC done for yourself through an application form and payment. Hope that helps. :)

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Post by sekhar0520 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks guys for the inputs.....Job portals show fair number of opportunities but my only worry is whether most of them do require SC. Also I have seen very little queries posted in this forum from guys in Info Security field. Anyhow decided to struggle a bit.....wish me good luck

Thanks,

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Mon May 24, 2010 4:40 pm

sekhar0520 wrote:Thanks guys for the inputs.....Job portals show fair number of opportunities but my only worry is whether most of them do require SC. Also I have seen very little queries posted in this forum from guys in Info Security field. Anyhow decided to struggle a bit.....wish me good luck

Thanks,
Good luck mate!!

SC and jobs are a classic Chicken or Egg nonsense! :D

Jobs wont fill you unless you are SC cleared and SC clearance is only done by company which already employed you ! :roll:

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 pm

*FC* wrote:

Thanks,
Wanderer is totally right. For the basic security clearance, you need to be a resident in this country for 3 years. For the full security clearance you need to be in this country for atleast 5 years. And most of the jobs in this country need the full clearance.
SC it is something your company does for you. You cannot get SC done for yourself through an application form and payment. Hope that helps. :)
I cannot agree to the point that someone needs to be a resident for 5 years to get SC cleared. I completed just one year in UK and i got SC cleared a month back.

And a colleague of mine who got cleared without staying in UK for 5 years like me got an SC cleared contract job recently.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am

ukdest wrote:
*FC* wrote:

Thanks,
I cannot agree to the point that someone needs to be a resident for 5 years to get SC cleared. I completed just one year in UK and i got SC cleared a month back.

And a colleague of mine who got cleared without staying in UK for 5 years like me got an SC cleared contract job recently.
Wow ... am I still dreaming or what?! :shock:

Could you please give me link to the Defense website where it talks about the residence years? Would be much appreciated, thanks!! :D

Wonder why my company couldn't process my application, though they heard from MOD that one should be here for atleast 3 yrs :roll:

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am

*FC* wrote:
ukdest wrote:
*FC* wrote:

Thanks,

Wow ... am I still dreaming or what?! :shock:

Could you please give me link to the Defense website where it talks about the residence years? Would be much appreciated, thanks!! :D

Wonder why my company couldn't process my application, though they heard from MOD that one should be here for atleast 3 yrs :roll:
You are true if it is about DV, but for SC there is no rule that you need to be here for so many years. In fact many people argued with me with the same point you are raising. May be its the policy of some companies to not to process until you are here for at least x no of years because there is not much history to check otherwise.

No one proved me wrong so far, i am happy if someone can.. :)