ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No employment during final 11 months of qualifying period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fredo
Newly Registered

No employment during final 11 months of qualifying period

Post by fredo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to determine what the ramifications would be if I took an extended period off work between being granted ILR and applying for citizenship (i.e. last year of qualifying period for citizenship).

Let's say I just obtained ILR (after 5 years in the UK on work permit / tier-1), I know I would need another 12 months in the UK to qualify for citizenship. Now, let's say I take an 11 month leave of absence from my job 1 month after I got my ILR, but I stay in the UK - i.e. have bank statements, utility bills, etc, but wouldn't be able to get a letter from an employer confirming employment for that full year. I would have paid tax on my earnings for 1 month of that year and wouldn't have any other UK income for the rest of the year. Would I still be able to use that 12 months to qualify for citizenship?

I see for the EEA guidance, you can claim being "self sufficient", but I don't see such a provision if you are not a member of the EEA/Switzerland.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SAL1313

Post by SAL1313 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Great question!! can someone answer please????

senthil78
Member of Standing

Re: No employment during final 11 months of qualifying perio

Post by senthil78 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 pm

fredo wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to determine what the ramifications would be if I took an extended period off work between being granted ILR and applying for citizenship (i.e. last year of qualifying period for citizenship).

Let's say I just obtained ILR (after 5 years in the UK on work permit / tier-1), I know I would need another 12 months in the UK to qualify for citizenship. Now, let's say I take an 11 month leave of absence from my job 1 month after I got my ILR, but I stay in the UK - i.e. have bank statements, utility bills, etc, but wouldn't be able to get a letter from an employer confirming employment for that full year. I would have paid tax on my earnings for 1 month of that year and wouldn't have any other UK income for the rest of the year. Would I still be able to use that 12 months to qualify for citizenship?

I see for the EEA guidance, you can claim being "self sufficient", but I don't see such a provision if you are not a member of the EEA/Switzerland.

Thanks in advance for your help!
There is no requirement to be employed to qualify for citizenship.

kishan
Newly Registered

what i have to write in FORM AN in section 3 of good charact

Post by kishan » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi senthil78
I have following two question
(1) In Application FORM AN (Application for naturalisation as a British citizen)
In this form on page 10 I have to fill following details of employment (but what to write if I am unemployed from last 12 month after getting ILR)

Section 3: Good Character Requirement
3.1 What is your occupation?
3.2 Are you An employee? A business partner? Self-employed? A director?
3.3 Name of employer or business
3.4 Address of employer or business
3.5 Address of tax office or tax office reference

(2) To whom(which two person) I can use for two referees for section 5 in the application form
Section 5: Referees and Identity

krimith

Re: what i have to write in FORM AN in section 3 of good cha

Post by krimith » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm

kishan wrote:Hi senthil78
(1) In Application FORM AN (Application for naturalisation as a British citizen)
In this form on page 10 I have to fill following details of employment (but what to write if I am unemployed from last 12 month after getting ILR)

(2) To whom(which two person) I can use for two referees for section 5 in the application form
you can write in that section unemployed/looking new job bec one of my friend was did that and refree question one is any professional over 25yr old and second one any british citizen over 25 years and they both know you from last 3yrs. professional means doctor (GP),solicitor,accountant,bankmanager etc.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Re: what i have to write in FORM AN in section 3 of good cha

Post by senthil78 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 pm

kishan wrote:Hi senthil78

I think that if you are not employed, leave it blank.
For referee, Refer page 13 of the AN form and the list of acceptable professional person (who can act as a referee with professional standing)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_an.pdf

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... er6/annexa