ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

hellllppppp

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aysie

hellllppppp

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 pm

hi guys i need some advice asap

we applied for my husbands flr m, in January 2010, we have just been notified by our solicitor that they have written saying that the wrong application has been submitted, i am very worried no as, his previous visa has now expired, and we had paid £500 for the visa, what can we do now will we get a refund, and what will happen?
thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: hellllppppp

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 25, 2010 2:03 pm

aysie wrote:hi guys i need some advice asap

we applied for my husbands flr m, in January 2010, we have just been notified by our solicitor that they have written saying that the wrong application has been submitted, i am very worried no as, his previous visa has now expired, and we had paid £500 for the visa, what can we do now will we get a refund, and what will happen?
thanks
No refund if u submitted wrong app, your fault. Ur solicitor will have a proviso that u sign to approve anything he does, his cockup is your cockup....

What visa was actually applied for?

Have you received the rejection? If so think the only option is to re-apply from ur husbands home country.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm

we went to the solicitor for advice on which visa type my husband needed to apply for, the visa we were told to apply for was the flr m visa, it wasnt really our fault and if the visa hasnt been refused they should give a refund, also it has taken them 4 months to come to the conclusion that it was the wrong app.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

aysie wrote:we went to the solicitor for advice on which visa type my husband needed to apply for, the visa we were told to apply for was the flr m visa, it wasnt really our fault and if the visa hasnt been refused they should give a refund, also it has taken them 4 months to come to the conclusion that it was the wrong app.
The fact is the Solicitor acts on your behalf, he only does what you say and you have signed on that basis...

Why was it the wrong app?

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm

i do not know my solicitor rang today to say that he had received a letter and all the documents back from the home office with a letter saying that the wrong application had been submitted, as far as i can see that that particular visa is the right one, the solicitor didnt go into much detail about it we have an appointment on thurs to discuss it

:9 :( :( :(

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

aysie wrote:i do not know my solicitor rang today to say that he had received a letter and all the documents back from the home office with a letter saying that the wrong application had been submitted, as far as i can see that that particular visa is the right one, the solicitor didnt go into much detail about it we have an appointment on thurs to discuss it

:9 :( :( :(
OK let's have the full story then, all the details! Who met who, where and when and legal status....

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 3:20 pm

huh?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

aysie wrote:huh?
Are you British citizen / settled person? What's your husband's immigration status in the UK? Why did the solicitor suggest use of FLR(M) form? etc. etc.

Sorry but your solicitor's fault = your fault! You should have checked with UKBA about which form to use before submitting the application.

regards

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

i am a British citizen from birth, my husband is turkish we have a 2yr old son, we went to the solicitor for advice as we were separated he lived in cyprus and myself and son in uk, i didnt want to live there but we wanted to make our marriage work. so we went to see an immigration solicitor for advice, where he advised that the visa we needed to apply for was the flr m. we also sent evidence of his job offer, im just so confused and scared of what will happen

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Did your husband enter UK on a spouse visa? When was the visa granted (and where)? When did he leave for Cyprus to live there? And when did he return to UK? When was the FLR(M) application filed? What evidence did you submit to support the application?

It will be in your interest to explain the situation in detail to assist members to answer your queries / suggest further course of action.

regards

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue May 25, 2010 3:56 pm

aysie wrote:i am a British citizen from birth, my husband is turkish we have a 2yr old son, we went to the solicitor for advice as we were separated he lived in cyprus and myself and son in uk, i didnt want to live there but we wanted to make our marriage work. so we went to see an immigration solicitor for advice, where he advised that the visa we needed to apply for was the flr m. we also sent evidence of his job offer, im just so confused and scared of what will happen
So your husband was living in cyprus when you applied for the flr(m)? If so, he needed to have a spousal visa entry clearance. Flr(m) is an extension or switch made from within the uk to spousal status. They are different.
I tell it like it is.

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 pm

no they said we could apply while he was still in the uk.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 pm

aysie wrote:no they said we could apply while he was still in the uk.
oh ok, so what was his status (tier 1,4 etc..) when he was in the uk?
I tell it like it is.

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

visitor but they said he could change whilst here

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

aysie wrote:visitor but they said he could change whilst here
You cannot switch visas from visitor, you solicitor should have known that, it's simple stuff really!

I suggest you threaten them with reporting them to the Law Society, but then again again you will have signed saying u agreed and they bear no responsibility, lawyers are bastards really...

So, best if ur husband returns to CYP and applies for spouse visa here, there is no other way....

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 pm

so basically we are $%^&* is there no other route we could go down?
the high commision in cyp is ridiculous, they go by there own rules and take their time on purpose despite the regulations they are supposed to go by.
it really isn't fair to split families up and solicitors should be doing their jobs. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 25, 2010 5:50 pm

aysie wrote:so basically we are $%^&* is there no other route we could go down?
the high commision in cyp is ridiculous, they go by there own rules and take their time on purpose despite the regulations they are supposed to go by.
it really isn't fair to split families up and solicitors should be doing their jobs. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
None - switching from visitor is just not possible irrespective of solicitor. But ur husband should know that switching is not possible, if he read the terms of visit visa, so really it's quite plain.

aysie

Post by aysie » Tue May 25, 2010 6:08 pm

well i did speak to a few different solicitors and they said it was possible, well we will just have to see what the solicitor has to say on thursday, because i really dont want my family to be split up again.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 pm

aysie wrote:well i did speak to a few different solicitors and they said it was possible, well we will just have to see what the solicitor has to say on thursday, because i really dont want my family to be split up again.
Sorry you're going through this but everyone is right. There is no other way in this situation. There is absolutely no switching from visitor status to anything else. Even if you speak to the solicitor on Thursday and they tell you otherwise, it's still not possible.

Sounds like these solicitors were just yanking your chain and telling u bullsh*t to get some cash. I would report these people if I were you.
I tell it like it is.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Definitely a wrong application, so UKBA cannot be blamed for it.

If any solicitor suggests that you can appeal the decision (and win it too) or that you can submit another application in another category, suggest that you don't visit him/her .. ever again.

All your husband needs to do is go back to his home country and apply for spouse visa from there. With required documentary evidence submitted, I don't see why his application will not be approved.

regards

katkouta
Newly Registered

Post by katkouta » Tue May 25, 2010 11:23 pm

It is true that he can't switch his visitor visa to spouse visa , but as his visa expired he can always try under article 8 of ECHR , he has a son here that he needs to be with.
He might get difficulties in cyprus , he can apply apply for Discretionary leave from here , the only thing is that he has to wait long time.

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 am

katkouta wrote:It is true that he can't switch his visitor visa to spouse visa , but as his visa expired he can always try under article 8 of ECHR , he has a son here that he needs to be with.
He might get difficulties in cyprus , he can apply apply for Discretionary leave from here , the only thing is that he has to wait long time.
I was thinking of the same option, he can apply using FLR(O) (other categories not covered by the application forms) and apply for a DL using his artcle 8 rights but he might have to wait several months like the rest of us (still waiting) who dont wanna risk separation with our family.

I am actually of the opinion that he return to Cyprus and apply for a spouse visa but if you are not too sure and you dont want to risk the separation, DL on form FLR(O) is your only option.

Good luck.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 am

Article 8 takes too damn long and I don't see a winning case here. They can all just be together in Cyprus.
I tell it like it is.

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:40 am

ElenaW wrote:Article 8 takes too damn long and I don't see a winning case here. They can all just be together in Cyprus.
Article 8 takes a very long time but I think thats the only option for those who dont wanna risk separation with their family like the OP mentioned. Not see a winning case??? the OP have a chance, provided they can wait for article 8 timeline like the rest of us.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 26, 2010 10:48 am

HRY2005 wrote:
ElenaW wrote:Article 8 takes too damn long and I don't see a winning case here. They can all just be together in Cyprus.
Article 8 takes a very long time but I think thats the only option for those who dont wanna risk separation with their family like the OP mentioned. Not see a winning case??? the OP have a chance, provided they can wait for article 8 timeline like the rest of us.
In this case it seems prudent that the OP's husband return home at apply from there was we've all had to do. It's proportionality, HRA Art 8 might be successful after a very long time in limbo not be able to work and if the OP's husbands country was a third world one.

Added to that I read the Coalition are looking to scrap the HRA and devise some sort of ethical code, hopefully based a bit more in reality.....