ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New scheme is expected to be in place in mid-2007

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

drewchad

New scheme is expected to be in place in mid-2007

Post by drewchad » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 am

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:05 pm

My bow has been renewed

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:53 pm

.....and for the benefit of those who don't reach the third paragraph of the UKVisas item, and might have been concerned:

"...The system ... will not cover short term visitors, family reunification and UK ancestry routes..."
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:24 pm

would it affect long residence rules?

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:37 pm

I would recommend reading the attached documents on the link yodiyokun posted, makes very interesting reading, the pdf file titled command paper actually shows the proposed points system for each of the tiers they propose to set up.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Well I've had a quick read and have picked up two interesting points, on the Tier 1 applicants (basically replacing HSMP) they are considering giving settlement after 2 years for 'high flyers'

And for Tier 2 (being the equivalent of WP holders) they are changing to 5 years (as was announced previously) before settlement.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:07 pm

An interesting Q&A on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4783602.stm

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:36 am

see here
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffa ... 82,00.html

are only age, education, income are areas for scoring? why experience is left out???

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:38 am

abcd1 I think this quote from the Command Paper sums it up:

“We need to be able to recruit young graduates who have aptitude rather than experience, intellectual capital rather than personal investments i.e., potential rather than a proven track record.” Morgan Stanley International Limited

though having said that straight after is says:

Companies are keen to be able to recruit migrants on the basis of their potential as well as their experience.

so a bit contradictory!

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:57 pm

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:18 am

One angle that's not yet been covered is the period to settlement for EEA nationals + EEA family permit holders.

Will it stay at four years - or increase to five?

tt

Post by tt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:00 am

I imagine that angle will eventually be covered by EC Directive 2004/38/EC, which the UK and the rest of the EU had (or will have) to adopt by 30 April, 2006.

That allows 5 years to permanent residency for EU citizens in another EU State, along with their non-EU family members (which has a fairly liberal definition).

Interesting that this Directive gets rid of the requirement totally for EU citizens to get Residence Permits during their first 5 years of residence. (They might require a registration certificate depending on the country, and their non-EU family members would need a residence card).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 pm

tt wrote:I imagine that angle will eventually be covered by EC Directive 2004/38/EC, which the UK and the rest of the EU had (or will have) to adopt by 30 April, 2006.
Does the UK have an opt-out?
That allows 5 years to permanent residency for EU citizens in another EU State, along with their non-EU family members (which has a fairly liberal definition).
I wonder if other EU member states are getting tired of this "liberal definition" of family members, especially spouses. Denmark and the Netherlands are two that have put in place measures to control spouse migration and they can't be happy to see this bypass exist.

That said, some EU/EEA countries give citizenship to certain spouses without a residence requirement - France and Italy (plus the Republic of Ireland until recently), with fairly relaxed citizenship requirements for spouses in a few other countries - Portugal, Malta, and (to an extent) Switzerland.
Interesting that this Directive gets rid of the requirement totally for EU citizens to get Residence Permits during their first 5 years of residence. (They might require a registration certificate depending on the country, and their non-EU family members would need a residence card).

Non-EU citizens will most likely still need a residence visa in their passport, life could get awkward without this.

tt

Post by tt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 pm

The UK hasn't opted out of this one (even if it had had the chance).

Yes, I wonder if the residence card will be also replicated in the passport, or whether it would be acceptable as a separate "entity"?

It has been suggested that the "allowable" registration procedure in the Directive will be implemented in the UK. Does anyone know more?