ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK’s new rules for migrants to favour high-fliers

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DeepThroat

Post by DeepThroat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:13 am

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/f3a22186-ad7e- ... e2340.html

By Andrew Taylor, Employment Correspondent
Published: March 7 2006 02:00 | Last updated: March 7 2006 02:00

A new points system to manage the flow of migrant workers more effectively will give preference to young high-fliers and employers with a good record of keeping track of foreign-born employees, the government will announce on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The system, similar to those operating in Australia, New Zealand and Canada, will favour professionals and entrepreneurs. It will also offer the possibility of reducing the qualification period, from four to two years, before most sought after non-European Union professionals and entrepreneurs can apply for permanent UK residence.

The qualifying period before other groups of migrant workers will be allowed to apply for permanent residence is expected to be raised from four to five years.

Special quota systems allowing farmers to temporarily hire foreign workers for seasonal fruit picking and planting and also for the hotel and catering trades, are expected to be scrapped. A new skills advisory body, however, might be allowed to establish short-term quotas for these industries in special circumstances.

Ministers have argued that quota systems for sectors such as agriculture no longer require special status as these industries hire most of their temporary staff from eastern and central Europe.

Workers from these regions have had unrestricted access to British labour markets since their countries joined the EUin 2004.

Lobby groups representing overseas workers are likely to criticise plans to remove rights to appeal from foreigners refused access to the UK. Most of the applications from potential overseas workers will be expected to be handled by diplomatic posts overseas.

To encourage younger professionals and entrepreneurs ministers are expected to announce that extra points will be available for high-fliers under the age of 32. Current qualifications for "top-tier" migrants include a degree, five years' work experience and a salary of at least £40,000 in their last full year of employment.

Other groups of foreign workers wanting to come to the UK will need to be sponsored by an employer unless they are from EU countries.

Companies will be graded as either A or B category employers, depending upon their record on complying with migration regulations. This will include informing the Home Office of whether or not migrants actually arrived and when they ceased to be employed.

Workers joining employers with a good compliance record will qualify for extra points.

Workers in areas with greatest skill shortages applying to join a category A employer "will almost automatically be admitted", said Julia Onslow-Cole, a partner at City law firm CMS Cameron McKenna.

Ms Onslow-Cole welcomed the new proposals which she said would "reward employers for complying with good practice and discourage bad employers who will find it harder to attract and place foreign staff".

She also welcomed moves which would offer the possibility for young "potential entrepreneurs" to seek permanent residence after only two years.

"This could be a great magnet to attract such people to the UK to the benefit of the economy and society as a whole," Ms Onslow-Cole said.

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:38 am

Having read the entire command paper, it seems to me that the roll-out of the new tier system will take a long time (esp. the fine tuning of the points). It's interesting that apart from one sentence there is nothing in the paper about the increase in ILR qualifying period to 5 years.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:48 am

It's also interesting to see that there will be no scoring points for HSMP (new Tier 1) for experience, significant achievement and partner's achievement. Apart from that the new system is much a re-bundling of the existing routes into tier 1 -5.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 pm

I don't understand the salary part , as they the chart shows salaries to start from 15 GBP and above.

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:11 pm

I have two concerns:

First, they seem to have removed points for work experience, even though their own consultation showed that it was a very important factor. I expect that work experience along with the significant achievement bit have been removed because these are very difficult to assess from a caseworker's perspective. We have all read on these boards cases where there is ambiguity and difficulty presenting the case for points in these areas.

Second, they will apparently re-assess people against the points when they apply for FLR/ILR in both Tier 1 and Tier 2. This is particularly concerning regarding women immigrants who may take maternity leave at some point, losing several months of income potentially, and then do not reach the required salary levels to be granted leave to remain.

I would also expect, given the tone of some sections of the paper, that those who enter as highly skilled who apply to stay though they are working low-skilled jobs will no longer be allowed to stay once the new system is in place. We may see HSMP FLR applications being denied for individuals who are not working in their highly-skilled field.

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Where the details can be found of assessment for each TIER? I presume probably threshold will be different for each tier.Am I right?

Cheers,
Zia

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Here's the link to the Command Document.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/ ... -migration

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 pm

very strange ! work experience in prospective field of work is altogether ignored in the new proposed (assessment) criteria for Tier1, while it is part of HSMP which is theoretically equivalent to Tier1. Also no points for any acheivements in chosen field or Partener's qualification.Age factor is still very restrictive for tier 1 as compared to assessment of Age for Australia and Canada.

Any comments will be highly appreciated please.

Cheers,
Zia

ashishashah
India

When will this scheme come into effect??From today??

Post by ashishashah » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:12 am

Hello,

I am in final stages of applying for HSMP..

Just worried, will the new system come in efftec from today??

I don't want to create a new application ...

Thanks
Ashish

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 am

The system will probably not be operative until middle of next year.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

anjum70

Post by anjum70 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:54 am

I think this rule is quite tough and no points for partners achivements , qualifications and experience that is why i think it will be diffcult to get points in Tier one and 2 ,as they stressed on age points, earnings as in asian countries salary is less so diffcult to get points also pass mark in tier 1 is 75 .

What do u think?

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:54 am

I feel that salary part will be earnings equivalent to UK standards as per the current HSMP guidelines.

From when, these new guidelines are expected to be effective. Any feedback on this.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 am

I believe its written there that the earnings part will be scaled with respect to different countries earning capabilities as it is presently under the hsmp scheme. If that is done maybe asian/african countries will be able to apply.

That age looks funny though.. so you get no points if you are over 31!!!!.
Well lets see as it all unfolds.
My bow has been renewed

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:19 am

Why experience factor is being ignored in the proposed outline for tier1 and tier2?
Also age assessment is quite funny, isn't???? Probably the more sensible assessment for Past earnings/available funds, which starts from 15,000 GBP for tier1 and tier2.

Lots and lots of fine tuning is required for a fair point system.

Cheers,
Zia-ul-Hassan

anjum70

Post by anjum70 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:30 am

In TIER 2 passing marks is 50 points and maximum 50 points if u have job offer in shortage occupation .

Any comments on shortage occupations apart from teaching and nurse does it also include engineering that is SEGS shortages list ?

Thanks,

Anjum

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:20 am

yodiyokun wrote:I believe its written there that the earnings part will be scaled with respect to different countries earning capabilities as it is presently under the hsmp scheme. If that is done maybe asian/african countries will be able to apply.

That age looks funny though.. so you get no points if you are over 31!!!!.
Well lets see as it all unfolds.
Once 31+ you are no more young(strange) is that what they are considering.

If I recollect Australian system does allow some point till aged 45.

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:02 pm

What is the possibility of including points for relevant experience in the new point based immigration system?For example, is there no difference between a graduate under 27 which is earning 16K GBP and a 35 years old graduate having 10 years of experience in his field and earning 25K GBP. How the new system will justify both situations while both can contribute to UK.

Please comment.
ZIA