ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 -English requirements

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Tier 1 -English requirements

Post by aspirant99 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:36 am

I had a queryregarding points on the english requirement section..my degree was in IT from delhi University which is recognised by the PBS calculator and was thus awarded 10 points. So i assume that i do not have to provide any additional documents (like a letter from my uni stating that my degree was taught in English)besides my original degree to prove my degree was taught in English. Am i correct in assuming this?

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 am

No need really, if PBS shows and gives you 10 points for the same.

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Tier 1 -English requirements

Post by aliq09 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 am

aspirant99 wrote:I had a queryregarding points on the english requirement section..my degree was in IT from delhi University which is recognised by the PBS calculator and was thus awarded 10 points. So i assume that i do not have to provide any additional documents (like a letter from my uni stating that my degree was taught in English)besides my original degree to prove my degree was taught in English. Am i correct in assuming this?
Hi ,

Attach the print out for this section (from PBS calculator) and explain in cover letter about it . You are good to go :)
Thanks

Ali

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks Guys!!

guddu84
Newly Registered

Post by guddu84 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:21 am

aspirant99 wrote:I had a queryregarding points on the english requirement section..my degree was in IT from delhi University which is recognised by the PBS calculator and was thus awarded 10 points. So i assume that i do not have to provide any additional documents (like a letter from my uni stating that my degree was taught in English)besides my original degree to prove my degree was taught in English. Am i correct in assuming this?
Hi,

Have you applied for the VIsa application? Because I have also the same case, for English requirement, I have a Bachelor degree which is coming in PBS tool checker with 10 points, So i was also thinking that only degree certificate is sufficient evidence to support this. But i am in confusion with lots of different opinion by senior on board.

onlyuk

Post by onlyuk » Fri May 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Well i have different opinion here. PBS gives you points for the degree but it's not the confirmation that your degree was taught in english. To be on the safer side, i believe you should get a letter from your university stating that your degree was taught in english. In pasappendix form, see section 6.6, 1st option says that pbs shows your degree is taught in english..so are you sure that PBS showed that ur degree is taught in english ? otherwise third option is the one which is your case. So better to get the letter from university

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:22 pm

guddu84 wrote:
Hi,

Have you applied for the VIsa application? Because I have also the same case, for English requirement, I have a Bachelor degree which is coming in PBS tool checker with 10 points, So i was also thinking that only degree certificate is sufficient evidence to support this. But i am in confusion with lots of different opinion by senior on board.
No I wll be applying in June. And yes , if PBS gives u 10 points then you can apply..Please go through the section 194-198 in the guidelines and that will clear your doubts ..good luck :)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 28, 2010 7:06 pm

onlyuk wrote:Well i have different opinion here. PBS gives you points for the degree but it's not the confirmation that your degree was taught in english. To be on the safer side, i believe you should get a letter from your university stating that your degree was taught in english. In pasappendix form, see section 6.6, 1st option says that pbs shows your degree is taught in english..so are you sure that PBS showed that ur degree is taught in english ? otherwise third option is the one which is your case. So better to get the letter from university
Reading this should help change your opinion.

regards

onlyuk

Post by onlyuk » Sat May 29, 2010 6:53 am

Okay...thanks for the link.
Just wanna discuss so that it will help others as well.
Two points :
1) how do we make sure the point two of section 192.
Is there any way ?

2) Can PBS show that your Degree was taught in English ?

the english section of form, Point 6.7 says that if PBS system is not capable of showing that your degree is taught in english then you have to submit the Letter from University saying degree was taught in english.

Can u pls help in finding answers to these ?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 29, 2010 1:14 pm

onlyuk wrote:the english section of form, Point 6.7 says that if PBS system is not capable of showing that your degree is taught in english then you have to submit the Letter from University saying degree was taught in english.
Before jumping to 6.7, did you read 6.6 and understand when 6.7 needs to be selected?
PBS Appendix 1 General Migrant self assessment form wrote:The points-based calculator does not show the qualification is equivalent to a United Kingdom degree but a UK NARIC letter and/or certificate is enclosed; Go to Question 6.7
Also, read para 198 of the policy guidance before concluding that you should now apply for a NARIC letter.

regards

onlyuk

Post by onlyuk » Sat May 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah but if my degree/my University is recongnized by the PBS calculator then I don't need to go to UK Naric but PBS is not showing that my degree was taugh in English.
So can PBS show that degree taught in India was in English ? I believe it can not.
So what's the solution in this case ? Baically i land to the 3rd option of point 6.6 where also i have to go to 6.7
I don't want to go to UK Naric as my degree is recognized by PBS. So in this case how will i be sure that my degree fulfills the English requirement.
I believe my University letter is the only solution ? what do you think ?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 29, 2010 5:16 pm

onlyuk wrote:Yeah but if my degree/my University is recongnized by the PBS calculator then I don't need to go to UK Naric but PBS is not showing that my degree was taugh in English.
It is quite possible that your degree (qualification) appears in the qualification section of the PBS calculator but doesn't appear in the English language section. Which essentially means that your qualification is good enough to claim points for qualification but does not meet the stated requirements for English language - and you must, therefore, produce alternate evidence to prove English language proficiency.
onlyuk wrote:So can PBS show that degree taught in India was in English ? I believe it can not.
Why not? Does your qualification appear in the English language section of the PBS? (Explained above).
onlyuk wrote:So what's the solution in this case ?
If you are not a native English speaker or a citizen of the one of the countries mentioned in the policy guidance (English language section), then the only option is to sit for a English language test e.g. - IELTS.

regards