ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Stolen - Had My Tier 1 Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pearldew
Newly Registered

Passport Stolen - Had My Tier 1 Visa

Post by pearldew » Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 am

Hi Guys,

I need some advise. On Thursday morning my bag containing my Passport, Laptop and my cards and some documents was stolen. These are the steps i've taken:

1) Lodged a crime complaint
2) Friday Morning went to the indian counsulate to get the Met Office Lost/Stolen Passport form Stamped.
3) Friday Afternoon went to the Police station to get it stamped by them and get my CR number

I have got the form from the cousulate to get a new passport. My queries are as follows:

1) I understand to get a new passport you have to pay GBP 84 and it takes 1 Month!> Is there any way I could pay more and get it done faster as I'm going to the counsulate on Monday.

2) When do I contact the British High Commission regarding my lost visa, Immediately on Tuesday? (Monday is a Bank Holiday) OR should I only inquire after I get my new passport.

3) Will I have to pay the full GBP 690 again to get my visa restamped in my passport and what are the documents that are required to do so as this is not mentioned on their website. (I understand that I do NOT have to reapply just advise that my passport was stolen along with the Police report and a covering letter)

4) Any idea how long this process will take as I have to go for a sisters wedding in July

5) Also do you guys have a rough draft of what the covering letter should be like as I have never done this before and am totally shattered by this experience.

Many Thanks for any help in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 am

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 am

Search this forum, I am sure I have seen such a case earlier as well

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Sun May 30, 2010 11:32 am

I did read that! But the person lost their passport in India, Unfortunately mine got stolen in the UK. I am clueless about the whole process and situation.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 11:51 am

pearldew wrote:Unfortunately mine got stolen in the UK.
This information in the starting post would have helped! Also the reference to British High Commission tends to give the impression that the incident happened outside UK, as there cannot be a British High Commission in the UK!

Contact UKBA, and make sure that you ask them for the procedure (form, fee, documents etc.) to apply for "replacement" leave to remain. Make sure UKBA understands that you are enquiring about "replacement" leave to remain, and not fresh leave or transfer of leave.

regards

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Shush Thanks very much for this! One thing is do I start the procedure for the replacement visa asap or should i wait till i get a new passport from the indian embassy in a month's time. Gosh this is a nightmare for me right now. Basically lost my whole world in a go.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 pm

If you want the vignette to be stamped in your passport, then you'll need to apply when you have the new passport.

If you are OK with the vignette on a separate sheet(s) of paper (called Immigration Status Document), then enquire with UKBA if you can apply without a passport and if an ISD can be issued to you.

This said, please note that ISD may not be accepted by some countries (requiring evidence of residency in UK) when you apply for visa to travel to those countries. So it is good enough if you want to stay put in the UK but not a wise choice if you wish / need to travel to other countries.

regards

w4l
Newly Registered

Post by w4l » Sun May 30, 2010 3:41 pm

hi pearldew....the indian consulate requires a photo id in order to issue replacement passport, please could you advise what kind of photo id did you provide?

I am afraid I don't have any of the photo ids mentioned on their website - driving license, election card, pan card. What if one is unable to provide photo id stating nationality as indian?

Thanks

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Sun May 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Shush I think im just going to wait and do it right, Get my passport and then get a new Vignette stamped. I'm just frustrated that the vignette is going to cost me the full fee again through no fault of mine.

W41: I am going to apply for my new passport tomorrow. I have the copies of my passport pages and visa, and I have my PAN card with me, So shall be able to get everything done hopefully. Do you not have copies of your passport that should be enough as well to verify your identity.

w4l
Newly Registered

Post by w4l » Sun May 30, 2010 4:11 pm

hi pearldew,

Thanks for your response. I have copies of my old passport. But the Indian Embassy website states that they need photo id as well. I have a voter card but with my name misspelt so not sure how useful that will be.

Best luck with the new passport.

w4l

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm

sushdmehta wrote:This information in the starting post would have helped!
Indian consultates do NOT exist in India.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 8:24 pm

buzz_dilli wrote:
Sure they don't. But they do in countries other than India, just as British consulates exist in countries other than UK. So, in absence of definite information in the first post, OP could have lost his/her passport in any country (other than UK and India). And in case you aren't aware, the procedure for obtaining a replacement visa from outside the UK is similar (through the local VAC/BHC) - so even though the linked topic refers to a case in India, the information contained therein is relevant for anyone in a similar situation.

Please make an effort to read the posts carefully before succumbing to the irresistable desire of posting for the heck of it. If you cannot contribute to a topic or do not have a query related to it, please don't bother.

regards

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Sun May 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Sure they don't
Everyone does not know that.
Please make an effort to read the posts carefully before succumbing to the irresistable desire of posting, for the heck of it.
Sure but try to practise what you preach. The OP also said "I understand to get a new passport you have to pay GBP 84" - Please don't tell me that Indian consulates charge fees in GBP outside UK.
And in case you aren't aware, the procedure for obtaining a replacement visa from outside the UK is similar (through the local VAC/BHC).
- Thanks for raising my awareness!

Anyways, i don't have any intention to debate here since it does not amount to any contribution.
sushdmehta wrote:
buzz_dilli wrote:
Sure they don't. But they do in countries other than India, just as British consulates exist in countries other than UK. So, in absence of definite information in the first post, OP could have lost his/her passport in any country excluding UK and India - and hence the link to a related topic was provided in the first instance. And in case you aren't aware, the procedure for obtaining a replacement visa from outside the UK is similar (through the local VAC/BHC).

Please make an effort to read the posts carefully before succumbing to the irresistable desire of posting, for the heck of it. If you cannot contribute to a topic or do not have a query related to it, please don't bother.

regards

tipu20

Re: Indian Passport Stolen - Had My Tier 1 Visa

Post by tipu20 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Really sorry to hear about the incident, If you are in UK you have to follow the below procedure of TOC, if you are outside UK then you need to contact the nearest british visa center with Copy of ECB 17 http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/ecbasi ... tonewpassp

You need to to apply Tier 1 Application (PBS VAF9), pay full fee and make sure write in the cover letter that it's replacement not fresh application so they don't evaluate you on the current rules to assign points but use the old rule for your previously valid visa.

You need the file the TOC application with Home Office once you have got the new passport from Indian Consulate.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/while- ... -passport/

The above link will provide the answer of most of your questions.

Regards,
Tipu
pearldew wrote:Hi Guys,

I need some advise. On Thursday morning my bag containing my Passport, Laptop and my cards and some documents was stolen. These are the steps i've taken:

1) Lodged a crime complaint
2) Friday Morning went to the indian counsulate to get the Met Office Lost/Stolen Passport form Stamped.
3) Friday Afternoon went to the Police station to get it stamped by them and get my CR number

I have got the form from the cousulate to get a new passport. My queries are as follows:

1) I understand to get a new passport you have to pay GBP 84 and it takes 1 Month!> Is there any way I could pay more and get it done faster as I'm going to the counsulate on Monday.

2) When do I contact the British High Commission regarding my lost visa, Immediately on Tuesday? (Monday is a Bank Holiday) OR should I only inquire after I get my new passport.

3) Will I have to pay the full GBP 690 again to get my visa restamped in my passport and what are the documents that are required to do so as this is not mentioned on their website. (I understand that I do NOT have to reapply just advise that my passport was stolen along with the Police report and a covering letter)

4) Any idea how long this process will take as I have to go for a sisters wedding in July

5) Also do you guys have a rough draft of what the covering letter should be like as I have never done this before and am totally shattered by this experience.

Many Thanks for any help in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 pm

buzz_dilli wrote:
Please make an effort to read the posts carefully before succumbing to the irresistable desire of posting, for the heck of it.
Sure but try to practise what you preach. The OP also said "I understand to get a new passport you have to pay GBP 84" - Please don't tell me that Indian consulates charge fees in GBP outside UK.
I do (try)! Do you know for certain if replacement fee in UK for Indian passport is 84 quids? I don't. But I'm aware that in the UK one needs to pay at least 840 quids to apply for Tier 1 (and not 690 as OP had quoted) and that one needs to pay 690 quids (in equivalent local currency) when applying for Tier 1 from outside the UK!

Another tip (not for argument) - As you spend time browsing this forum, you will note that it is *not unusual* for people to quote monies in GBP rather than in local currencies as it is easier for others to respond without having to first figure out which country the currency belongs to before responding.

buzz_dilli wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
buzz_dilli wrote:Indian consultates do NOT exist in India.
Sure they don't.
Everyone does not know that.
:D Maybe I am wrong, but I would surely want to believe that people know that a country doesn't have it's own consulate / embassy on its own (sovereign) territory.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon May 31, 2010 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 30, 2010 11:48 pm

pearldew, both at the time of enquiry and at the time of application make sure that UKBA understands *clearly* that you need to apply / are applying for a replacement leave to remain, as opposed to fresh leave or transfer of leave.

regards

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Mon May 31, 2010 1:45 am

Tipu: That was a super useful post, my thanks for the links it gave me the information i need! I will be going tomorrow to apply for the passport and then apply for my replacement visa.

Sush: It is most definitely GBP 690 as stated on the UKBA website, Please do correct me if I am wrong?

General migrant GBP 690 Points-based system Tier 1, General Migrant

Again thanks everyone for your kind help and your time.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 31, 2010 2:36 am

pearldew wrote:It is most definitely GBP 690 as stated on the UKBA website, Please do correct me if I am wrong?
Where does UKBA state that you need to pay 690 when applying from inside the UK?

The fee of GBP 690 (in local currency, as per forex decided by local BHC) is applicable when you are applying from outside the UK (another reason that led me to believe that your passport was lost outside UK). See Tier 1 (General) and Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) application fees.

TOC form is specified for transfer of leave and has a much lower fee (GBP 169 or GBP 578). But AFAIK, UKBA may charge you full Tier 1 (General) fee for a replacement leave (that is what overseas diplomatic posts charge for Tier 1 replacement visa, as per my understanding). So do check with UKBA beforehand about which form to use, associated fee and documentary evidence to submit, before getting down to filling the TOC form.

regards

chennaibabu

Post by chennaibabu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 am

pearldew wrote:Tipu: That was a super useful post, my thanks for the links it gave me the information i need! I will be going tomorrow to apply for the passport and then apply for my replacement visa.

Sush: It is most definitely GBP 690 as stated on the UKBA website, Please do correct me if I am wrong?

General migrant GBP 690 Points-based system Tier 1, General Migrant

Again thanks everyone for your kind help and your time.
Hi Pearldew, I also had my Passport stolen from my home with Tier 1 stamping. Devastated here. Would be helpful to know how far you have got in getting a replacement Passport and stamping. £690 for me and my wife to get a replacement VISA stamping (both passports are stolen)??

pearldew
Newly Registered

Post by pearldew » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Chennaibabu,

I got my new passport in one week, now am going to be applying for my visa.

I spoke with the home office today and they advised I have to fill out the TOC form and just give my documents and crime number. The charge for just me for the premium same day service is GBP 578 as I am going to be applying in person. If I do it by post it would be cheaper at GBP 169 but I need to travel next month so I am going for the premium same day service and I will get a biometric ID card instead of a Visa Stamp.

I am going to be applying in london. As I do not know where you are based I would not know how to guide you. If you are in London I would suggest calling up the Home Office and getting the details from them as they will be able to Guide you better

Regards,

Pearldew

chennaibabu

Post by chennaibabu » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 am

pearldew wrote:Hi Chennaibabu,

I spoke with the home office today and they advised I have to fill out the TOC form and just give my documents and crime number. The charge for just me for the premium same day service is GBP 578 as I am going to be applying in person. If I do it by post it would be cheaper at GBP 169 but I need to travel next month so I am going for the premium same day service and I will get a biometric ID card instead of a Visa Stamp.

I am going to be applying in london. As I do not know where you are based I would not know how to guide you. If you are in London I would suggest calling up the Home Office and getting the details from them as they will be able to Guide you better

Regards,

Pearldew
Pearldew, the information you just gave me is a big relief to me. You are a star to me. But I have more questions. One of them is on the documents that needs to be submitted to the HO. Is the documents to show my points or is it different set of docs.

I have left you a Personal Message in this forum with my mail ID and mobile number. It would be of tremendous help to me if you can share me more information. And it would be of consolation to me.

I am in London.

Thanks a ton.

chennaibabu

Post by chennaibabu » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:47 pm

pearldew wrote:W41: I am going to apply for my new passport tomorrow. I have the copies of my passport pages and visa, and I have my PAN card with me, So shall be able to get everything done hopefully. Do you not have copies of your passport that should be enough as well to verify your identity.
Pearldew, Indian Embassy also requires an Affidavit (that you are an Indian). did you get this at the Embassy itself from a consulor? If so can we do it the same day of application, or should we get it seperatly and apply next day standing in the queue again?

chennaibabu

Post by chennaibabu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Hello PearlDew, I can understand that you should be busy with the VISA application process. Good Luck with that. But when you can spare some time, can you answer some of my Q's?

When you apply for the Indian Passport, do you have to apply for Non British Passort Proof, and do you have to submit the Proof of Legal stay in UK?

Please note that I have dropped you a Personal Message with my contact details. It would be of great help if you can share your two cents on this.

ChenniBabu

hsmp_aug

Post by hsmp_aug » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Regards,

Pearldew
Hi Pearldew,

Sorry for your loss.

I have encountered almost a similar situation wherein I got both my wife and my own passports stolen in Barcelona (Spain). We had 2 separate Tier 1 Visas stamped on those passports.

Somehow I managed to convince UK immigration and came back to UK with a copy of my passport and Visa.

I got an official police complaint copy from Spain and have used the same and a few identity proofs (proving that I'm still an Indian) to apply for my new passports at Indian consulate in UK.
They said it will take about 3 weeks.

Q: How much time did they tell you it will take for new passport to arrive? And did you enquire about the passport yourself or did they call you to inform that your passport is ready?

I was also under an impression and was devastated when I got to know from few websites that we have to pay full fee of 690 £ to get the Visa re-stamped. The fact that me and my wife both have separate Tier 1, it simply doubles up the cost.

Your post however says that the fees is much less and I see a ray of hope now.
Q: Do you think the re-stamping fee for me will also be £168 a piece (by post)?

Please let me know if you can help with the above query.

This post has been really helpful for me.
Thanks a lot.

zayedshah

Post by zayedshah » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:54 pm

I lost my passport with tier1 visa. I have got a new passport from the Indian High Commission in London today.

The documents I was asked were:
1. Photocopy of my passport
1. Police report (The Police first gave me a form titled 'Lost/Stolen Passport' with my details filled out and stamped and signed by the Police Officer on duty. When I submitted it in the Indian High Commission, they asked me to pay 8£ and took the form in. Later I saw it was stamped with Indian High Commission stamp and asked me to get a proper Police report. They showed me a sample. I went back to the Police station and got the one they were asking for.)
3. Photocopy of my visa
4. Flight tickets (the one I missed 31Oct10 and the flight ticket I had postponed 7Nov10) - This is because I requested for an urgent passport (Needed to convince the lady behind the counter REALLY. Their first answers were always - "It ll take at least a week").
5. Cover letter - explaining why I needed the passport urgently which was for medical reasons.

Hope this helps

Thinking if I should go and wait in the Croydon office to apply for TOC (Transfer of Conditions) tomo, even though I cant get an appoitment from the Online Booking system..