ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A SMALL QUESTION AND INTERESTING FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

badr-amiche

A SMALL QUESTION AND INTERESTING FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm

i heard 3 days ago from some one that ireland doesnt accept to give a nationality without canseling the first one that mean if i wanna be irish i need to have just irish citizen nothing more ,,,,,,,,,,,is that true????????????
and for how long living ligally in ireland i can apply for it?

thx everybody

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:00 pm

any answer please

highstoolhero
Newly Registered

Re: A SMALL QUESTION AND INTERESTING FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER

Post by highstoolhero » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

badr-amiche wrote:i heard 3 days ago from some one that ireland doesnt accept to give a nationality without canseling the first one that mean if i wanna be irish i need to have just irish citizen nothing more ,,,,,,,,,,,is that true????????????
and for how long living ligally in ireland i can apply for it?

thx everybody
No

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:13 pm

This is patently false. Ireland does not require a naturalized citizen to renounce his/her original nationality.

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:13 pm

so doant matter if i wanna keep my my citizent if i want to apply for irish

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:14 pm

sideshowsue wrote:This is patently false. Ireland does not require a naturalized citizen to renounce his/her original nationality.

thank you so much

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

badr-amiche wrote:so doant matter if i wanna keep my my citizent if i want to apply for irish
You just need to check whether your present nationality permits dual nationality. It might be the case that the country of your original citizenship does not permit dual citizenship and will require you to renounce your original citizenship should you become a naturalized Irish citizen. But again, it is NOT Ireland that would require this.

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 pm

about my original county it is no problem to have 2 nationality in same time ,,it everything is oky ,but can i ask you about after how long of living in ireland i can apply for it please

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 pm

badr-amiche wrote:about my original county it is no problem to have 2 nationality in same time ,,it everything is oky ,but can i ask you about after how long of living in ireland i can apply for it please
It all depends on the basis of your residency in Ireland, i.e. work permit/resident or spouse of an Irish national. If you're here on a work permit/resident then you need to clock up 5 years of legal residence before submitting an application. These 5 years start from the date of your GNIB stamp. Time spent on a student visa does not count towards citizenship.

If you're here on the basis that you're the spouse of an Irish national, it gets a bit complicated and rather convoluted--but it's the bones of 3 - 4 years of marriage/residence. See here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000120#5

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:27 pm

i am here as a EU spouse (lithuanian wife )and i have registration card from GNIB stamp 4 fam ,,,is it same as irish spouse?

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm

badr-amiche wrote:i am here as a EU spouse (lithuanian wife )and i have registration card from GNIB stamp 4 fam ,,,is it same as irish spouse?
No. In this case, you need to reside in Ireland for 5 years before you apply.

badr-amiche

Post by badr-amiche » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm

sideshowsue wrote:
badr-amiche wrote:i am here as a EU spouse (lithuanian wife )and i have registration card from GNIB stamp 4 fam ,,,is it same as irish spouse?
No. In this case, you need to reside in Ireland for 5 years before you apply.
thx so much

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:01 pm

You're welcome.