ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after 10 years lawful stay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Smit
Member of Standing

ILR after 10 years lawful stay

Post by Smit » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Has anyone recently obtained ILR on the basis of 10 years lawful stay on the basis of student visas and work permit combined?

If yes, please share your experience. I have a friend who came to the UK on a student visa in 1996, remained as a student till 2003 and switched to work permit in 2003. He intends to apply for ILR this year under the 10 years rule rather than wait till next year and apply under the 4 years work permit rule (which is likely to be changed to 5 years at some point).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:58 am

Smit, I haven't got time to search for it now but I recollect that a number of people have posted about success with 10-year applications, and I further recollect that some of them were students for at least part of the time.

Can you do a search for what you want? If he is indeed "legal" for the whole 10-year period then is there any reason to be concerned here?
John

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:19 am

John,

Thanks for your response. I also recall seeing some posts on this board from people who had successfully obtained ILR at a PEO on the same day on the basis of 10 years lawful stay. I have tried searching for these posts but could not find them, hence my request.

We don't anticipate him having any problems as he meets all the requirements for applying under the 10 years rule i.e. first came to the UK on a student visa which kept being extended from time to time in the UK and then a switch to work permit in 2003.

He just wanted to know what questions are normally asked of such applicants.

Smit

stedman

Post by stedman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Smit wrote:Thanks for your response. I also recall seeing some posts on this board from people who had successfully obtained ILR at a PEO on the same day on the basis of 10 years lawful stay. I have tried searching for these posts but could not find them, hence my request.
Topic : Confused?Can 10-yr long stay apply ILR in person at Croydon?

confused1

Post by confused1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:27 am

I know somebody who was studying here in the Uk in a boarding school. He's now in his final year at the university, so, he got a solicitor to see if he would be eligible for ILR on the basis of lawful residence, and the answer was yes he will be.
So he applied for it and he did received it.

shdosd
Newly Registered

Post by shdosd » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 pm

confused1 wrote:I know somebody who was studying here in the Uk in a boarding school. He's now in his final year at the university, so, he got a solicitor to see if he would be eligible for ILR on the basis of lawful residence, and the answer was yes he will be.
So he applied for it and he did received it.

Please could you tell us more in detailed about your friend's case, e.g.how old was he when he first entered the country, how long has he been studying in the UK since.

The other question I would like talk about is, under the new immigration rules, whether the 10-year long residence rule would be abolished? As i am in my 8th year here.......

thanks for all.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:24 pm

The new announcements this week will have no impact upon long residence applications, nor upon settlement visas for family members, nor ancestry. Nor indeed visitors visas.

The announcements this week impact only upon economic migration, but include student visas.
John

shdosd
Newly Registered

Post by shdosd » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:08 pm

that's good to hear, Thanks John!