ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Visa Extension under new rules after 6th April 2010

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geeteshanand

Tier 1 Visa Extension under new rules after 6th April 2010

Post by geeteshanand » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Guys, Can anyone guide me on my options.

As per the new rules, for grant of Tier 1 visa on or after 6th April 2010, the income brackets have been raised so much that if I make an annual gross income of GBP50K per annum, I could only claim 30 points.
Now if I was to apply for the extension visa two years hence(i.e.after the expiry of my initial visa which was granted to me after 6th April 2010), I am afraid I will not qualify for an extension.
The reason is as follows:
1. For Age I will get 0 points because I will be 35 years two years hence.
2. For UK Experience I would get 5 points
2.For Qualifications, I would get 35 points for my Masters
For Previous earnings, I would get only 30 points because as per estimate of a renowned recruitment agency in London, based on my current experience and skill set I should not expect more than gross GBP50K per year.

Since it is mandatory that one needs to score 75 points in the above attributes excluding Maintenance Funds and English,I only score 70 points.

Now since I have not left for the UK yet (i am still in India), could anyone advise if I should drop my plans of going to the UK? It was rather silly of me by not being proactive. I applied for my inital Tier 1 visa without considering if I would qualify for an extension 2 years hence.
If someone can give advise, that will be really appreciated.
I know I could speculate saying that my employer could do a performance appraisal and I could get a raise of GBP 5k at the end of first year (if this happens then I will get another 5 points and qualifiy since I am short 5 points based on the estimated GBP 50K salary as estimated by this renowned recruitment firm in London). However, as I mentioned I do not wish to speculate but rather decide based on concrete information I have because I dont know what will happen in the future. I know I could do contract work and earn more (per hour/per day basis) but then my goal is career development and I don't see that happening for myself if I continue contracting for more than 3 months.

Really appreciate if someone could give me good input. If its not worth it then I might as well drop my plans..no issues.
Cheers.
Geetesh

pkumar
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 1 Visa Extension under new rules after 6th April 20

Post by pkumar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:52 am

Trust me there are many people in your position ... specially cases where people are showing full time and part time as well to make ends meet .... what they don't realize is that they will face same challenge during extention ... which you have mentioned.

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:55 am

Whole point of new rules is to raise the bar on extension. It might be difficult to get salary as expected with the kind of competition around. May be you could consult friends and well-wishers to make sure your HSMP fee doesn't end up as a charity

Shepherd

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 am

geeteshanand wrote:Hi Guys, Can anyone guide me on my options.

As per the new rules, for grant of Tier 1 visa on or after 6th April 2010, the income brackets have been raised so much that if I make an annual gross income of GBP50K per annum, I could only claim 30 points.
Now if I was to apply for the extension visa two years hence(i.e.after the expiry of my initial visa which was granted to me after 6th April 2010), I am afraid I will not qualify for an extension.
For Previous earnings, I would get only 30 points because as per estimate of a renowned recruitment agency in London, based on my current experience and skill set I should not expect more than gross GBP50K per year.

Since it is mandatory that one needs to score 75 points in the above attributes excluding Maintenance Funds and English,I only score 70 points.

Now since I have not left for the UK yet (i am still in India), could anyone advise if I should drop my plans of going to the UK? It was rather silly of me by not being proactive. I applied for my inital Tier 1 visa without considering if I would qualify for an extension 2 years hence.
I know I could speculate saying that my employer could do a performance appraisal and I could get a raise of GBP 5k at the end of first year (if this happens then I will get another 5 points and qualifiy since I am short 5 points based on the estimated GBP 50K salary as estimated by this renowned recruitment firm in London). However, as I mentioned I do not wish to speculate but rather decide based on concrete information I have because I dont know what will happen in the future. I know I could do contract work and earn more (per hour/per day basis) but then my goal is career development and I don't see that happening for myself if I continue contracting for more than 3 months.

Really appreciate if someone could give me good input. If its not worth it then I might as well drop my plans..no issues.
Cheers.
Geetesh

Well! hi

It depends what are you doing here in India suppose i take both extreme ends i) You are earning very good and just one day you thought lets give a try and put some money in VFS account and get TIER1 visa . bingooo ,,,you have to visa ... in that case just stick to the place where you are and enjoy the indian ride . Now , we have a different situation here .. you are earning good and make your TIER1 to get boost to your future plans than ... you have to go and find the better way of life in UK .

At least give a try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Ali

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:22 am

geeteshanand wrote:Hi Guys, Can anyone guide me on my options.

Cheers.
Geetesh
You would still get 10 point for your age for extension.

geeteshanand

To Renzokuken

Post by geeteshanand » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for posting here..I did my assessment on PB calculator at the UKBA website and this calculator gives me 0 points for age (i.e.I input 35 because I will be 35 years old after 2 yrs when I apply for extension).
I am not sure how you are saying I could get 10 points..could you please clarify?

Thanks so much.

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:44 am

Points Calculator at UKBA website would be for initial applications. Have you checked the guidance (available as pdf). It will give the points for all sections for both the initial applications as well as extension

Good Luck
Shepherd

renzokuken

Re: To Renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 am

geeteshanand wrote:Thanks for posting here..I did my assessment on PB calculator at the UKBA website and this calculator gives me 0 points for age (i.e.I input 35 because I will be 35 years old after 2 yrs when I apply for extension).
I am not sure how you are saying I could get 10 points..could you please clarify?

Thanks so much.
well, for extension the point mapping is different with initial application. So If you got 10 point (33 years) for your initial application, then age for the extension will be added 2 years as per your initial visa duration (meaning 33+2=35 years will get 10 point as well). Read again the guidance

geeteshanand

Thanks A lot

Post by geeteshanand » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks a lot guys@gd_Shepherd and renzokuken.
Yes I saw the pdf file T1 General Guidance..I could actually claim 10 points for my age...thats great!

Thanks so much for your help on this guys!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Moral of the story? Get your facts right before you start whinging!

:D

regards