ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long in advance can I get a reference for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kotiara

How long in advance can I get a reference for naturalisation

Post by Kotiara » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:01 pm

I have about 9 months left before I can apply for naturalisation. One of my referees can give me a reference now, but may not be able to do it later. I've been changing jobs and moving around so it's not that easy for me to find referees who have known me for 3 years. If i get that referee to sign my application form now and then apply for citizenship this Autumn, would it be a problem?

Kotiara

Re: How long in advance can I get a reference for naturalisa

Post by Kotiara » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Can anybody please advise? One referee has given me reference 8 months in advance, but I can probably ask him to rewrite his reference before i apply. The other reference I can about 2.5 months in advance. How recent do they have to be?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:40 pm

You mention that one of your referees can give you a reference now but 'may not be able to later'. Are you aware that referees can be contacted by the Home Office to confirm the reference?
If they not likely to be available to do this, I would look for another referee.
A significant gap in the date of signing of a reference and your application may raise queries.

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Can I get a reference in june and apply in october? Would that be ok?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:07 am

There are no rules as such to guide on this, so no one can give you a definitve answer. Casa has already pointed out to a likely situation if HO wants to contact any or both the referees. This about it and make a decision.

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:31 pm

I have a reference given to me by a professional 4 months in advance of application. I'm quite sure he will remember me and/or check his records if HO contacts him to confirm the reference, but i'm reluctant to ask him to sign it again with a later date, because i've already asked to correct an error and don't want to hassle him many times over the same reference. Besides, I'm thinking of asking him for another reference when i apply for a passport.

Do you think it's ok to provide a 4 month old reference for naturalisation?