ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity Allowance - Tier 2

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arnonel
Newly Registered

Maternity Allowance - Tier 2

Post by arnonel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi there

I am on a tier 2 company sponsored visa, and my wife was pregnant in the UK and claimed maternity allowance.

Will this jeopordise our chances of ILR? if so, are there any actions I can take to mitigate?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Nothing maternity-related is within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules. So no problem.
John

arnonel
Newly Registered

Post by arnonel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks John. Good to know.

p.s.

Somewhat related. My employer is part of a childcare vouchers scheme. Its effectively a tax break on childcare.

Does that count as public funds?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am

Given that they are provided by your employer, the vouchers clearly cannot be Public Funds.

Do appreciate that because of the vouchers your salary is less than would have been the case, and there might then be knock-on effects as regards visa renewal. Are you happy that there is no such effect for you?
John

arnonel
Newly Registered

Post by arnonel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 am

Not sure i understand your point.

Effectively what happens is my employer pays the childcare before tax, and therefore my taxable salary is less, and therefore less tax. I gain a saving of about £100 a month.

I would rather not do it if it has any effect on visa renewals etc

arnonel
Newly Registered

Post by arnonel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:45 pm

apologies for bumping my very old thread. Are you suggesting that its ok to do employer child care vouchers?

I think I understand your point. Youre saying that because of the knock on effect on my salary, I need to be careful that my salary is still in the threshold , right?

Doesnt really have anything to do with child care vouchers per se....